Horizon Camper under rehab - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-21-2008, 04:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon

Click image for larger version

Name:	12ad_12.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	16390
I'v been away from the forum for quite some time now, but I have had my share of glass campers. I have had 2-13' Scamps 1-17' Bigfoot, and a 16' Scamp which I still have. But I have just picked up this 91 Horizon, which reminds me alot of my old 93 Bigfoot. The Horizon isn't as wide as the Bigfoot, its around 78" wide. But the walls are about 1" thick with foam insulation, it looks like in between. Anyway this does need a few things which I have already started doing, like fixing some of the pipes, new water heater ordered, and other small things. Although I think I need a new gas Thermostat for the fridge too. I do have a water leak in the roof around the Fantastic Fan, someone had put some black tar like stuff up there. So I'm going to have to try a take that stuff off and fix the problem right. Anyone know what I can use to take off that black tar ? I'm going to try and post a couple of pics so you can see what this thing looks like. The entry is in the rear, so that will take some getting use to. Tim
Attached Thumbnails
11d2_12.jpg  
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:35 PM   #2

Trailer: 1986 Cadet
Was this the one on eBay a while ago? I remember the auction, and it looked like it was well taken care of (or used very little) and in good shape.
Kenny H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:47 PM   #3

Kenny, Yes its the one that was on Ebay, the guy had it sold a couple of times to non payers. So I called him and we made a deal. Even though its in pretty good shape it needs some work. More than I figured, but that seems to happen alot with these older trailers. But I'll take my time and do it right. The thing is very well built with Oak cabinets inside and a huge dinette, about 72x75. It doesn't have a furnace so I will have to give that some thought, I see a few on the forum like the Cat heaters pretty well. If I could find a good old furnace without the fan option, I'd go for that. Tim
Old 10-21-2008, 07:05 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Cool. Would love to see some interior pics. All those jammed into a small bed are going to be jealous!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:54 AM   #5

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Tim... Nice trailer...very neat, but watch that first step...it's a doozie!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:21 AM   #6

Click image for larger version

Name:	1312_12.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	16400
Hi Donna & Al, I have put the Horizon in the Barn yesterday, and its a good thing we have snow on the ground here in Central NY. I still have to get my Scamp put away, but I've winterized both trailers and its suppose to go up to 59 on Friday. Donna I have a couple of pics from the previous owner that I will include here. Once I get things under more in the Spring I'll take more pics. I'm planning on replacing the carpet maybe with wood flooring. And I will probably work on it a little in the winter depending on the weather. I'm going to take some pics of the roof and post them in another thread to see if someone might have any ideas on how to remove this black tar thats up there. I think its going to be a very nice camper once I have things about done. Al that is quite a step, but it serves nicely for a bench to sit on too. Thanks,Tim
Attached Thumbnails
1356_12.jpg  
Old 10-22-2008, 11:34 AM   #7

Trailer: Boler 1984
Congrats' on the new trailer, Tim. I love that woodwork. Sure beats the H[at]#k out of fiberglass cupboards. Should be pretty nice when you are finished.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:58 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Other than the lack of a back window, the interior is very similar to a Scamp Deluxe. Thanks for sharing the pics!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:34 PM   #9

Thanks Kent, and Donna yes it very similar to a Scamp Deluxe. But with a build quality like a Bigfoot. And it has much more cabinets and storage room than my 16' Scamp. One reason is the bath is much smaller, than in the Scamp. The closet in this thing is really big, it has two doors like a his & hers closet. I will do some pics in the spring, after I dig it back out of the barn. Tim
Old 10-26-2008, 04:18 AM   #10

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500 Deluxe
Hi Tim,
Congrads on your new fiberglass trailer. The guy you bought it from is about 1 hour from my home here in Michigan. I think he said he is retired and has a dozen or so retired friends that are his eyes looking out for any fiberglass trailers to fix-up and sell. As you know or may not know I do the same thing. I sold a couple this summer and 3 Trillium's last year and still own my pride and joy I found now 6 years ago...1978 Trillium 4500 Deluxe. What you failed to tell everyone is this may be the only one made for a fire department out west. If not maybe at best less than a couple. So what ever you paid for it, the "RARE" factor is priceless!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy & Happy Camping!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave

"The Trillium King"
Dave Baston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:49 AM   #11

Dave, Thanks and your right about it being rare, I've never seen one before. Once I have things done that I want to do, it should be a very nice camper. Some things will take getting use to , like entering from the rear of the camper instead of the side. I will probably put an awning on it also, I've always liked having an awning. I too have had several Scamps that I've fixed or modified and sold. One that the wife and I still wish we had is a little 13 Scamp that I made a two person dinette in the front. I got the idea from Ken James on one that he did. I enjoy working on these eggs, especially when I have another to use for camping, like now. I will try and post some before/after pics in the spring. Tim

One thing I wanted to add is I would like to get either a compact jr. or trillium some day to fix up.