"Hot Skin" with Fiberglass? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-04-2016, 10:06 AM   #21

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Thank you, Jon!! That's the first thing in this thread I actually understood!

You know, it's funny… some people avoid propane because of the dangers. I feel like I have a basic understanding of what those dangers are, I had my trailer checked by a technician, and I have no qualms using the propane systems.

But I've had my trailer 4 years and have never once plugged it in! And, quite honestly, not having much knowledge of electrical systems, I have been somewhat afraid to.

Anyway, keep the discussions coming. I am learning!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 01:31 PM   #22

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
A couple of thoughts:

First, when I read the story in the link I realized that this child's tragic death was not a simple "accident". According to the article the trailer was plugged into a rusty outlet with a broken ground wire and "...from an external outlet on the trailer that was hanging by its wires." That's a recipe for disaster!

The author of the article recommends that "For $30 or less, RV owners can get a digital voltmeter or, even better, a noncontact AC tester, available at any hardware store. When pointed at the RV from up to a foot away, it will light up and beep if there’s a problem." That sounds like a handy gadget to have.

Before we plug into any campground pedestal we do the following: 1. turn off the pedestal so that it isn't energized, 2. plug in our Receptacle Tester (find them at any hardware store), 3. check that the proper lights are lit up on the tester (it can detect incorrect wiring, open ground, reverse polarity, open hot, open neutral, and reversed hot/ground), 4. turn pedestal back off, unplug tester and plug in our power cord, 5. turn pedestal back on.

Only once have we encountered a problem. I don't remember specifically what was wrong with the pedestal, but we decided to move to another site. When we told the campground staff why we were moving they seemed alarmingly unconcerned about the situation.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote