Hot Springs Tonight !!!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-18-2003, 07:59 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hot Springs Tonight !!!!

Where ever we travel, particularly if we're going to be dry-camping, I always scan the internet and the guide books for natural hot springs.

There's nothing quite like a soak in a hot spring. Truly the spice of life. And we've hit numerous hot springs in the US and Canada.

For example, you haven't truly lived until you've had a hot spring bath and massage at one of the bath houses at Hot Springs National Park in Arkansas. Most of the masseuses are federal employees and have been giving rub-downs for more than 40 years.

One of our favorite hot spring is located in Colorado, high up on Mt. Princeton called Mt Princeton Hot Springs.

Aside from the various concrete soaking pools, you can also wade into the cascading mountain stream that flows past the pools ... seeking your own personal spa.

It doesn't take long to find a seeping hot spring in the icy snow-melt run-off. Grabbing rocks and handfuls of pebbles, Pam and I build a primative hot tub ... reinforcing attempts by earlier bathers.

The trick is to contain enough hot water, while allowing enough icy water to run into to control the temperature.

It's also easy to cover your legs with red-hot rocks ... just what the doctor ordered, after a mountain hike.

Besides, it's a perfectly delightful way to bath while dry camping.

We're headed for Colorado soon. And we will hit the hot springs at Mt. Princeton, Salida and a couple of others, depending on our route.

So where's your favorite hot spring.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 08:29 AM   #2

Hi All
In my area within reasonable driving time I have two locations I can go too.
#1 Fairmont Hot Springs--------This area is a destination resort area,with RV park,Hotels,Condos Etc.Located in BC

#2 Radium Hot Springs-------This is also destination area.Located in BC.

Both of these areas are located On Highway 93 North in the Collumbia valley --East kootenay District Of SE British Columbia.

#3 Nakusp BC------This town and area boast two hotspring location with RV parking and good facilities.Located in the West Kootenays District of BC

:wave

Old 05-18-2003, 08:32 AM   #3

Ches, we've been to Radium Hot Springs. We stayed near there last time we went to Jasper.

Thanks for the memory! I'd forgotten about that!

Old 05-18-2003, 08:35 AM   #4

Hi Charles
Do you remember the Hotel that over looked the Hotsprings.I did work there at one time.Great job.

Two other locations I forgot about are little local places close by but are used for nude bathing.These are quite interesting.
;)

Old 05-18-2003, 08:40 AM   #5

>>nude

A number of the Colorado hot springs have "clothing optional" policies ... or "clothing optional" evenings, etc. etc.

We try to avoid these ... with a body like mine, it's the prudent thing to do. :)

Old 05-18-2003, 09:21 AM   #6

:lol2 :lol2 :lol2

Old 05-18-2003, 09:33 AM   #7

Quote:
>>nude

A number of the Colorado hot springs have "clothing optional" policies ... or "clothing optional" evenings, etc. etc.

We try to avoid these ... with a body like mine, it's the prudent thing to do. :)
Charles,

I shared with Ray that I just got back from the Southern Womyns's Music Festival near the Alabama/Georgia state line. This is an annual women and (under 8-years-old) children only event which was held on a 182 acre private farm. This farm is frequently rented to clothing optional campers. Many festival goers upheld the tradtions of the campground and went sans clothing. I asked one woman how she felt this would affect her daughter. She replied, "My kid is never going to think what she sees in a fashion magazine is a biological norm. She is not a candidate for poor body image therapy. Maybe other kinds of therapy ;) -- but not that kind."

I looked around at all the lumpy, bumpy, wrinkly, saggy, waffled butted folks there and got her point. Not a model physique in the bunch. In actuality, I felt kind of reaffirmed in the normalness of my rolls and pouches.

BTW: I saw a U-Haul and Scamp 5th wheel amongst the assorted types of RVs there. (One of my friends was willing to take pictures for me; but, I never got to see who owned the U-Haul or 5th wheel. They took off after the second night of the 4-night event.) I'm guesstimating that there were maybe 100 female RVers in small trailers that were solo manageable. Most of the trailers were antique or nearly so. I saw everything from teardrops to the monster Class As and the 5th wheel, with the the average size being about pop up or 16ft. (Honking huge just ain't a gal thing.)

Next year I plan to attend again. But next time, I hope to not be in the valley with the 800 tenters. The 100 RVers got the real estate on the hill.

Old 05-18-2003, 09:41 AM   #8

Back on Topic

Warm Springs, Georgia -- FDR's summer White House

Saratoga Springs, NY

Old 05-18-2003, 10:08 PM   #9

There are many hot springs in Oregon. Two of our favorites are Breitenbush Hot Springs Resort (very casual and unassuming) and North Umpqua Hot Springs which is just up the mountain about an hour from our house. Of course we enjoy our own hotsprings (with our hottub) in our back yard almost every night. Aaaaaaahhhhhh. Yeeesssssss!

Nancy

Old 05-19-2003, 09:23 AM   #10

ches>>remember the hotel

As I recall, it was a couple of turns. east off the main road, up on the side of a hill ... if hotel is the one I'm remembering.

Benita>>normalness

I know, I know. But still .....

Old 05-19-2003, 09:59 AM   #11

Yup
Thats the one.

Old 05-19-2003, 02:42 PM   #12

Hot Springs Virginia, home to the Homestead resort. Starting nightly rate about $250.00 per person. It's a nice hotel but really, really too much for us. However the Homestead has taken charge of two antique bathhouses. For $12.00 an hour you can float in a communal pool, one for women, one for men (said to have been used by Thomas Jefferson. I think in fact he owned the land at one time). They are beautiful old round buildings with natural bottom pools of crystal clear hot water. Clothing optional. In the womens side they'll lend you old fashioned cotton aprons so you can be modest without the confines of spandex. Very sweet place.

I have searched and searched for a hot springs in the wild here, but no luck. They must all be well hidden on private land. The ones you described, Charles, sound wonderful. There is a nice one in Big Bend National Park, Texas, right next to the Rio Grande.