How can we prevent theft of our FGRV? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-26-2015, 11:42 AM   #29

Name: Dex
Trailer: Casita 17' 2000 Dodge Dakota 3.9L
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I think it's reasonable to assume most people are living in the best neighborhood (whatever that might mean) that their circumstances allow. Precautions make sense even in "good" neighborhoods.
I guess I'll have to move then.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:45 AM   #30

Name: Sands
Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16'
Arizona
I agree with the sentiment that nothing will stop a determined thief. Recovery is a different matter. We don't have a trailer yet, and we drive an old model truck, but my wife and I both have cell phones with a security system that allows tracking (via Google Maps and GPS) of where said cell phone is located (in case of theft or loss of said cell phone). When we leave our truck parked in long term parking or somewhere on the street we consider less than safe, we hide one of the cell phones (left turned on, in silent mode) in the vehicle. The battery will last for 3 or 4 days and should the cell phone move, our other cell phone is notified and with a few button pushes you can see on a map exactly where the missing phone is located. Kind of a 'poor persons OnStar'. Should work even better with a trailer (more places to effectively hide the phone!)

Old 08-26-2015, 11:48 AM   #31

Name: Lyle
Trailer: '95 17ft Bigfoot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Oh, and in addition to the previous post, we also have an electric tongue jack with a kill switch inside the camper. Once set up at an RV campsite with some weight on the two rear stabilizer jacks and some on the front electric tongue jack, and power turned off to the electric tongue jack from inside the camper, the camper wouldn't be easy to move. Attempting to do so would surely bend the jacks and make a ruckus that should draw someone's suspicion/attention (if others are camping nearby). But again, in reality, it's all just a matter of deterrence.
That is a brilliant solution. It would be near impossible to get hooked up and the only way would be to drag it with a chain to get the jack to collapse and then what? Thieves would move on to an easier target.
I couldn't justify an electric jack until now THANKS!!
Old 08-26-2015, 11:50 AM   #32

Name: Dex
Trailer: Casita 17' 2000 Dodge Dakota 3.9L
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
Those of you who have great solutions, I hope you will add them to this thread. If there's an older thread with this info, let's link it. News about that stolen Boler is very disheartening.

My trailer came with a lock on the hitch, but I'm not confident it would prevent a theft. Any thief worth his (or her) salt would carry a heavy duty bolt cutter. Is there something else that can be done? I've even wondered about removing one of the wheels (and the spare) if it's going to be parked by itself for any length of time.
My thought is that it would take a knowledgeable thief to steal a fiberglass RV. Most would think a small one isn't that good.

I have a hitch lock and put a chain w/lock through the rear wheel.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:10 PM   #33

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextersp1 View Post
I guess I'll have to move then.

Not on my account, I hope! My point was that if you like where you're at, it is "best" for you! Lots of reasons people chose to live where they do (family, employment, recreation, historical roots,...) that have nothing to do with money or security.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:40 PM   #34

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keaner View Post
It's very easy to get a trailer registered without papers, all it takes is patience. Just walk in and say it's homemade. You'll be in and out in 10min with plates and a stamp. Not ethical, of course but easy to get plates for a stolen trailer.

Not that easy in this neck of the woods to claim a trailer to be homemade either.

They have tightened it up the rules on homemade trailers a lot in recent years to stop what you describe above. You need to be able to provide them with receipts for the materials you used to build the trailer. Purchased it second hand and the party who built it never registered it? and no receipts - to bad! Part it out and sell it is your only option.

I would be very surprised if Ontario has not made some changes in recent years to their regulations in that regard as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:44 PM   #35

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sands View Post
When we leave our truck parked in long term parking or somewhere on the street we consider less than safe, we hide one of the cell phones (left turned on, in silent mode) in the vehicle. The battery will last for 3 or 4 days and should the cell phone move, our other cell phone is notified and with a few button pushes you can see on a map exactly where the missing phone is located. Kind of a 'poor persons OnStar'. Should work even better with a trailer (more places to effectively hide the phone!)
A vintage Tin Can trailer was stolen and located recently due to the owner having left a phone in error in it. The phone was power dead for the first day or two the trailer was missing but the party who stole it charged up the phone and the owner of the trailer had continued to check for the phone often and BINGO - trailer and phone quickly recovered.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:04 PM   #36

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
Curiously, it was very simple for me to register my 13' canned ham with manufacturer decals as homemade in Colorado. We had to do this, as a previous owner had extended and enlarged the tongue (large cooler plus two propae tanks instead of one tanks work of room), removing the VIN number that matched the title it came with. Colorado does vin inspections, and so could not register it from the title. It took one visit to the state patrol with trailer for an inspection showing the original had been retrofitted off, a weight, and a trip to the dmv. Cheap, relatively easy....
Old 08-26-2015, 02:07 PM   #37

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Carol, your research agrees with mine regarding AZ rules- physical inspection and receipts needed to register as home-built. Anecdotal evidence reported in various forums is that some vehicle registration clerks are more diligent that others, but no way an original, intact, recently-stolen fiberglass trailer would slip through as home-built. In AZ camping trailers are taxed differently than small utility trailers, so they will get much closer scrutiny.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:42 PM   #38

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Registry
DMV and trailer inspections, registration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keaner View Post
People build trailers all the time, it's quite common. Stating, 'I built it myself' makes the clerk think of a utility trailer. There is no inspection, just two or three questions that's it. Take a search around the web, people talk about doing it often.
Consider this, you legitimately come into the possession of a trailer that has no ownership. Maybe it has been sitting in someone's back 90 for 30 years. What do you do? Chopping it into parts is dumb.
I'm in the process of registering my LilBigfoot, purchased in Oregon, going to live in CA. The DMV will absolutely not complete the registration until I bring the trailer in. I asked if they needed to check brakes, or lights, or anything else? They answered NO, they just want to check the ID numbers. I asked if I could bring a photograph of the ID number, and they said NO, they have to physically see it.

DH was browsing through the paperwork and noticed that we could also get a law enforcement officer to verify the ID... but I don't think one would be interested in driving over to our house to do that.
5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:09 PM   #39

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
LP, I had our local Sheriff stop by and fill out the vin info for me. I had all the paperwork on hand. They will do it for you. BTW, I'm in Ca also.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:11 PM   #40

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
LP, I had our local Sheriff stop by and fill out the vin info for me. I had all the paperwork on hand. They will do it for you. BTW, I'm in Ca also.
Really? Awesome! I'll look into this!
5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:48 PM   #41

Name: Linda
Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Ontario
Geeze. Where are you guys camping that you need so much security?
Old 08-26-2015, 04:00 PM   #42

Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
Those of you who have great solutions, I hope you will add them to this thread. If there's an older thread with this info, let's link it. News about that stolen Boler is very disheartening.
We have a special Master padlock that has a hardened steel shackle, and extra shields that "prevent" cutting with a bolt cutter. That is for the hitch latch
There are other Ball locks out there that use hardened steel and a dummy ball that fills the hitch socket.
WHile parked by our garage, I always crank down the rear stabilizers and hitch jack to take some load off the tires.
You can never completely prevent a determined thief. But you can slow him down. If it takes too long to hook on and go, he is more likely to leave it alone.