how come everyone is flashing Me - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #15

Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I have driven Toyota PUs forever.
My only complaint is if you put 3 bags of grocerys in the bed the rear sags.
I have an 07 Tacoma and I took the air bags of my 05 and reinstalled them on my 07.
The only way to keep from getting a ticket and stop the flashing is to beef up your rear suspension.
I recommend the Air Lift air bags,
With 10 lbs of air in them and you won't feel any difference in you ride.
You can pump them up to 100 lbs and a 1500 lb. load will ride level.
I run about 40 lbs when I tow my 13 foot Scamp.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:42 PM   #16

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
She's already spent a ton of money trying to tow this trailer and she has already bought a WDH.
If she is able to use it, she won't have to spend more on air bags and install.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:56 PM   #17

Name: Hillary
Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B17.5G
Washington
Possibly a stupid thing to mention, but my 06 Sienna has adjustable lights that I can aim up or down with a toggle on the left side below the steering wheel. Any chance Tacomas have that?
Old 05-22-2013, 10:18 PM   #18

Name: KAYAK
Trailer: 2007 casita freedom deluxe-2013 tacoma
New Hampshire
I thought a whole bunch of people on here used tacos I can't believe where this discussion is going Thank You Hillary I'll check on that I'm almost sure I won't be able to do the airbags I thought about that and learned about it with the Rav can older people or people with arthritis use the wdh its so heavy even the parts are heavy but I do have that
Old 05-23-2013, 12:10 AM   #19

British Columbia
Or, you could just not drive at night.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:30 AM   #20

New Hampshire
so driving that way wont hurt the truck or trailer?
Old 05-23-2013, 12:45 AM   #21

British Columbia
You say your trips are very short runs.
I tow my Escape 17 without the WDH on a short run when I can't be bothered to use it.
I'm no mechanical engineer, but I think you'll be fine.
I'd get the WDH installed ( since you already bought it ) and use it for longer trips, if it's not a problem for you. But, if you're having a bad day, then just don't use it.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:59 AM   #22

Name: Hillary
Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B17.5G
Washington
The hitch part of the WDH is heavy (I swear it feels at least 10 times heavier than a normal hitch with a ball), but if you used a receiver lock you could probably just leave that part on the Tacoma all the time. The bars themselves aren't that heavy, and getting them on and off doesn't require small hand motions, so I don't think it would be too bad getting them on and off with arthritis.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:08 AM   #23

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Assuming that the situation is that oncoming traffic is what's doing the flashing: in some states checking the headlight aim is part of the state inspection law. My inspectors license is for NY but I haven't done a state inspection in so long I can't remember just how the law reads. The last truck shop I worked in was in MA, and we had a wall chart with measurements on it, pull the truck up to within 10 feet or so, turn on headlights, and see where the center of the beam was on the chart. Usually there was a dead truck in that bay so I just used the overhead door to shine the lights on. Point here is, find a wall with a level spot in front of it, shine lights on it with and without trailer hooked up, note difference. If that appears to be the problem then the easiest solution may be to adjust the headlights to some sort of compromise point. You don't want them too low without the trailer, but want to eliminate blinding oncoming traffic.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #24

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

Greetings, as a former (2007 new - sold in 2010) TACO TRD 4x4 xCab-Longbed owner i will share what i learned with ours.

Now i attempted to find my post with detailed information but was unable to (here is the original build thread link at ExpeditionPortal)

and a quick pic of the TACO and 17' A-Liner:

What i found out was the tongue weight of the A-Liner was to much for our stock rig with the 3 leaf springs (~340lbs t.w.) and doing the TACO to sky thingy with lights. In doing some research i found there was a free fix by Toyota...and i had it done... You might check it out as a possibility for your new 2013, here is what i found:

There were enough TACO owners complaining to Toyota that their rides were riding harsh with the stock 3 leaf setup that Toyota had one of those unannounced-voluntary-recall thingies (i don't remember the technical name, sorry)... All i had to do is come into the local Toyota dealership with my trailer attached, and tell them the ride was really harsh with the TT and i was unhappy and heard there was a 4 leaf fix for the issue. The service manager looked it up on his PC and there it was! He ordered the new 4th leaf, made an appointment for the next week, installed it, and WOW... A COMPLETELY different ride and very nice _truck_ feel to the TACO. The back end no longer sagged and no one ever flashed me... except for the cute girlz

You have nothing to loose. Check out some of the TACO specific forums, they probably have the name of the technical term i'm talking about.

Cheers,
Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #25

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpk49 View Post
i know my low beams are on when this happens. .

Is it possible that your new truck has Day Light Running lights and you just think your lights are actually on when this is happening?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #26

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 19
California
Toyota calls them TSBs, for Toyota Service Bulletin. I've forgotten the number they gave the one for "harsh ride", but that's what it was called. It was for the Second Generation Tacomas, 2008 and earlier. Supposedly the springs were beefed up after that, but in my case, an early-year 2009 model (I bought it in September 2008), they found that some of those had the weaker springs. It took some time and complaining on the part of a number of owners, and Toyota eventually expanded the TSB to include 2009's that had the earlier springs.

If you have a 2013 I'd imagine you have the beefier spring set, but it wouldn't hurt to ask at your next service. I never had to have them do a test drive, or bring in the trailer attached...just showed them the part number on the old springs and it was a done deal. In fact, I never even mentioned that I towed anything.
2007 Norwegian Elkhound "Baxter"
santacruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #27

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
TSB... Yup! Thanks for that.

I just showed up with trailer as I was heading out of town anyway...
I would just drive your truck in and chat.
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:12 PM   #28

New Hampshire
Thanks for that I had planned on talking to Toyota the dealership is really good where I am iit doesnt feel like a ruff ride to me at all and I don't feel like I'm pointed up and I check the lights a lot of times Carol I'm alone so its in park I don't know if they change in drive but I'm glad you said that about going to the dealer. i also took a bunch of pics-when I get back to my computer i'll post them. i think the truck bed is level cuz it is pouring and the water isnt moving one way or the other