how come everyone is flashing Me - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #29

Name: KAYAK
Trailer: 2007 casita freedom deluxe-2013 tacoma
New Hampshire
i'm not used to a short bed...but it looks pretty straight to me

the driveway does go up a slight bit i dont know-maybe the camper pushes the truck down an inch or 2...nothing like the rav tho.
Attached Thumbnails
CAM00079.jpg   CAM00095.jpg  

CAM00096.jpg  

Old 05-23-2013, 08:39 PM   #30

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
The simple way to test is to find a building that you can pull up to from a distance. Try to place a few pieces of masking tape on it to see where your headlights hit both loaded and unloaded. A headlight aim is an easy fix.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:39 PM   #31

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillary View Post
Possibly a stupid thing to mention, but my 06 Sienna has adjustable lights that I can aim up or down with a toggle on the left side below the steering wheel. Any chance Tacomas have that?
Vehicles typically have dashboard-adjustable headlight aim only if they have High Intensity Discharge (HID, or "xenon") headlights. A 2006 Sienna, for instance, does not have that adjustment in the base model version which has conventional headlights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Is it possible that your new truck has Day Light Running lights and you just think your lights are actually on when this is happening?
I think Carol means Daytime Running Lights. Yes, DRLs are annoyingly glaring if used (inappropriately of course) at night, and it is depressingly common for people to fail to turn on the regular headlights at night... thus driving with both DRLs (bad) and no tail lights (bad!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpryor3 View Post
The TRD models come with high performance(as dealers options get) off road shocks geared toward fast driving on rough roads. I believe they can carry Less weight then the stock suspension on a standard Tacoma..
The shocks don't carry any weight at all - you could remove them completely (in a vehicle like this where at the rear the spring is entirely separate from the shocks) and it would make no difference to the ride height (how much the rear squats under load). Of course, with no shocks handling would be terrible as it bounced all over the place - the point is just that shocks don't carry weight or determine height.

I don't have a Tacoma, but if I did it would get air springs. I realize that is a non-trivial cost and effort, and may not be required; it's just what I would personally chose to do.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:35 PM   #32

New Hampshire
1. im going to the dealer to see if i have the lights adjusted correctly

2. does it look from the pic that i will hurt either the truck or the camper if i pull this way?
Old 05-23-2013, 09:58 PM   #33

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
I suggest you go to the dealer with trailer attached and get their opinion.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:48 PM   #34

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpk49 View Post
Carol I'm alone so its in park I don't know if they change in drive but I'm glad you said that about going to the dealer.
If it has Daylight running lights they will come on every time you start the truck but they are a low level light and you may not notice you havent got your full headlights on unless the headlight knob is turned fully on.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:16 AM   #35

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
It seems that the federal safety guys are approving brighter and whiter headlights these days. When I'm on the freeway driving my Honda fit the driving position is so low that many new cars's headlights blind me while following or oncoming. Toyota is a big offender, as well as some popular German cars. I just pull over to eliminate the pain. These are cars with properly aimed lights. When trailering the lights will be out of spec with almost any rig and will surely piss people off. The traditional old amber headlights were way more forgiving than the new ones regarding aiming. To the original poster, get your headlights aimed with the trailer connected. No half ton truck is going to stay level with 300 lbs on the ball. When your trailer is disconnected the lights will shine a little short, but you still have high beams for when other cars are not in range. I think the new white hot lights are overboard on what we really need to see with, and should be outlawed.
Russ
Old 05-24-2013, 10:26 AM   #36

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Kayak, it will not hurt your truck or trailer a bit to run it the way it is. You're just looking at the issue of headlight aim or function, not a "too heavy on the hitch" issue.

I don't know if you ever really told us for sure... when exactly are people flashing their lights at you? Only at night, or during the daytime? Only oncoming traffic? I mean, if they're flashing lights at you during other times than night and oncoming, maybe they just think your truck and trailer (or you) are cute! When you say they flash you, do you mean they momentarily change their dims to brights and quickly back? Or are they turning their lights OFF and then on? The latter could mean they are signaling a problem with your lights, like one or more lights are not lit.

My Highlander's DRLs switch automatically to full headlights in the evening, nothing for me to remember or do. Are the Tacoma DRLs the same way?
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #37

New Hampshire
thx mike-they flash me only at night and make their high beams go up and down. oncoming traffic.

so i think the answer is to go back to the shop. they might need to show me i have something adjusted wrong or they might have to change something permanent. 8 months of the year i am hooked up more than not.

in my matrix and little guy i WAS cute! the tractor trailer guys loved me. my kids (they are all adults)called it a bed on wheels...(and then snickered about me making extra money-the brats)

but i dont think anyone knows im a guy or a girl when they flash.

thx for all the help here. i thought i was gonna get laughed at...and again you all probably found the answer.

happy rainy memorial day!
Old 05-24-2013, 10:49 AM   #38

New Hampshire
ps-im really glad to know i can use the rig and not hurt anything. this is with an empty truck bed...and i didnt plan on having to have an empty bed. so i am glad to know this.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #39

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpk49 View Post
the driveway does go up a slight bit i dont know-maybe the camper pushes the truck down an inch or 2...nothing like the rav tho.
I have never really looked at one of those trailers closely before. With the axle placement being so far back, it's easy to see two things. One, no wonder the tongue weight is so high, and two, no wonder it tows so stable. Looks like a good rig to run down the road. Nicely designed, and looks to be a nice setup with with a Taco.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #40

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
My Highlander's DRLs switch automatically to full headlights in the evening, nothing for me to remember or do. Are the Tacoma DRLs the same way?
This isn't really a DRL feature; Mike is describing automatic headlights. They go fully on (so not off or DRL) in the dark and off (or just DRL is so equipped) in daylight. You can get vehicles (including Toyotas) with any combination of automatic or manual and DRL or no-DRL... except in Canada where we must have DRL. Automatic headlights are not even consistent by model: often the base model doesn't have them but a higher trim level of the same model does.

Anyway, just look at the tail lights when the truck is running at night - if they're not on, but something is lit up front, you have DRLs (and not headlights) on. If the taillights are on, then it's not a DRL issue.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:33 PM   #41
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
I suggest you go to the dealer with trailer attached and get their opinion.
I agree with Roy. Take truck and trailer to the dealer and let them check it out. "Is there something wrong with my truck? The salesman said I'd be fine." Ask to talk to a technician, not the guy at the front desk. At many dealerships the guys at the front desk (service writers) are on commission much like the sales guys. When I was truck shopping I do recall a discussion about the number of leaf springs on different Tacoma models. Might be worth asking about. If they start to talk about charging you or you think they are blowing smoke, get a quote from a local spring and chassis shop. Raz
Old 05-24-2013, 05:55 PM   #42

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
This isn't really a DRL feature; Mike is describing automatic headlights. They go fully on (so not off or DRL) in the dark and off (or just DRL is so equipped) in daylight. You can get vehicles (including Toyotas) with any combination of automatic or manual and DRL or no-DRL... except in Canada where we must have DRL. Automatic headlights are not even consistent by model: often the base model doesn't have them but a higher trim level of the same model does.

Anyway, just look at the tail lights when the truck is running at night - if they're not on, but something is lit up front, you have DRLs (and not headlights) on. If the taillights are on, then it's not a DRL issue.
Yes, on my HL the DRL/auto headlamps combo was an option I chose to get. But it was both or neither. And the way the switch works, if DRLs are on, auto lamps are on... if DRLs are off, auto lamps are off also. I simply asked if her Taco was the same or not, but based on the latest info from Kayak it doesn't really matter.

I have had a little experience with flashers over the years of driving, but because I grew up in the '70s I actually have more experience with streakers. Ah, those college days.....

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote