how come everyone is flashing Me - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-29-2013, 08:54 AM   #71

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
I've seen many discussions on leaving the "stinger" in the hitch, and none have actually quoted a law. Since there are permanently attached ball hitches, I wonder how they would be covered.

I did find that my local automatic car wash requires them to be removed. Seems like the scanning device that measures the size of your vehicle can miss the hitch & result in the spray arm hitting it.

Since I use a large, heavy Weight Distribution Hitch, I remove mine when I'm not towing

Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:59 AM   #72

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
I've seen many discussions on leaving the "stinger" in the hitch, and none have actually quoted a law. Since there are permanently attached ball hitches, I wonder how they would be covered.

I did find that my local automatic car wash requires them to be removed. Seems like the scanning device that measures the size of your vehicle can miss the hitch & result in the spray arm hitting it.

Since I use a large, heavy Weight Distribution Hitch, I remove mine when I'm not towing
I remove my WD hitch head because it's a real shin barker ! Ouch !!!

ps, I'm sitting next the camper, by the lake at one of the most peaceful CG's I've been to. Drinking morning coffee. Life is good, what the heck, even the CG wifi works ! Ha ! Ha !

Old 05-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #73
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpk49 View Post
another great day on the nh ocean front...this is rye harbor:
Did you eat at Ray's? (bike is mine)

Old 05-29-2013, 09:55 AM   #74
Commercial Member

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihwild View Post
Also in some states it is illegal to drive around with a hitch in the receiver (some call it a stinger).
There was a local police department writing tickets for this, until someone thought to ask to see the relevant law. I used to drive around with my ball mount in the hitch, just to see if anyone would stop me. They never did, and it's a good thing, because when I got rid of the wagon the stinger was frozen in the hitch, couldn't get it out with a sledge hammer and a 6' pry bar!

I did see that the cover that I want for my front hitch is supposedly a no-go in several areas. Don't know why.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:52 PM   #75

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 19
California
I don't think it's illegal in California. Keeping the hitch in the receiver is a good incentive to others not to park too close. I was slow-motion rear-ended a few months ago by a college student in his mom's Volvo. I felt a slight jolt, no damage at all to my truck, but that Volvo grill was sure a mess.
2007 Norwegian Elkhound "Baxter"
santacruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:49 PM   #76

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
And to be more specific Brian, we would really need to know where the center of gravity is on both vehicles, and there are other factors involved as well. Honestly, it would be almost impossible to guess all of this, it really would take doing side by side testing, both solo and hitched.
And if we really want to confuse the issue some more, there are aftermarket sway bars ( hellwig ) available for all these trucks which noticibly help the handling. Going to a lower profile wider tire would help too.
Right - that's the point. The Can-Am RV guys spout some pseudo-technical bull and we're supposed to swoon at their superiority? No, it's not as simple as they say, even speciffic details are not always as they say, and the Tacoma is just fine... but not because Andy says so.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #77

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Right - that's the point. The Can-Am RV guys spout some pseudo-technical bull and we're supposed to swoon at their superiority? No, it's not as simple as they say, even speciffic details are not always as they say, and the Tacoma is just fine... but not because Andy says so.
And I am neither trying to defend nor refute what Andy T says, but, it is probably, or at least possibly, safe to say that CanAm RV has done more actual testing of tow vehicles that any other RV dealer in North America. And they back it up with videos of various rigs in action. Also, they are not afraid to occasionally state publicly when they find a vehicle they think does not work well at all as a tug. So, all things considered, I am more inclined to believe what they say, than most places I have dealt with. There is still far too many dealers around that simply take the attitude of telling the customer, "aw sure, you'll be just fine and dandy with that....."
Old 05-29-2013, 05:33 PM   #78

Name: KAYAK
Trailer: 2007 casita freedom deluxe-2013 tacoma
New Hampshire
oh no kevin!!! peteys and the ice house are my favs. but with the camper i dont get to stop often. its beautiful here...huh? rays was my mom's favorite place.

george-glad your relaxin...
Old 05-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #79
Commercial Member

Pennsylvania
Registry
I love New Hampshire. The point of that trip was to scout around, then bring the family to consider moving there. Don't think we'll do it, but we will be going through later in the summer. Probably across VT, through Keene, and somehow end up at Portsmouth to cross over to ME. Just have to find someone to cat-sit.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:48 PM   #80

Name: KAYAK
Trailer: 2007 casita freedom deluxe-2013 tacoma
New Hampshire
is that a 13 footer? how big is your family? i'm near portsmouth and i know the 3 places you can park free at the beach! and i know of 2 in wells maine...
Old 05-29-2013, 07:42 PM   #81
Commercial Member

Pennsylvania
Registry
Yep, 13'. Either a 93 or a 96, have to get it home first to find out! Hopefully the ground dried out enough today, it's in my friend's mom's yard, don't want to tear up the grass, I'd be in the pickers for sure.

There are 3 of us, we're hoping to head up around the end of July, want to catch the Lobsterfest in Rockland, show my wife and son the Outward Bound school, swing through MDI/Bar Harbor for a couple days, and see some other sights. I'd really appreciate any information you have.

I ate at Ray's kind of on a whim. I was staying in Concord, drove to Portsmouth, walked around, saw the food prices, then looked up other restaurants in the area that might not charge 85 bucks for 2 lobsters. I don't usually eat any meat, but I make exception for lobster, and it was my birthday. Great meal, loved the restaurant, then I rode back to Concord in the dark and rain on the bike. Headed north from there the next day. I was kind of shooting for the first night in Keene at Wheelock Park, I liked staying there (other than the skunks) and it's close to town but still quiet. I'll certainly post up plans as they firm up. Thanks again!