How did you camp before your Fiberglass RV? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-09-2016, 06:58 AM   #29

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Dad had a slide in truck camper, then a 5th wheel, then a Class C MH. He liked the truck camper the best of all of them but the 5th and MH had advantages. Did a lot of back-country cabin "camping" as well. Older Brother had a sticky trailer we used some. In the Boy Scouts it was many, many (many I say) nights in the classic Voyager tent, I would like to find one today. On my own I slept a night or twelve under just a camper shell. Did that for a while with my daughter when she was small before finding our Scamp. I'm done, the Scamp it is!

Old 07-09-2016, 07:40 AM   #30

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
Oops! Yikes I meant Duck

Sent from my VS985 4G using Fiberglass RV mobile app
....and tears, presumably. Shedding year would be nice, actually.

I camped in tents canoeing with my parents, then with friends, then from the back of my car with my girlfriend and wife, then with kids. The end of tenting came when the pegs pulled out of the loose sand and tent blew away twice in Page, AZ. The need to upgrade was finally clear to both of us. Scamp, here I come!

Old 07-09-2016, 07:49 AM   #31

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
boat

Attached Thumbnails
newtrailer 003.jpg   egmontmorn.jpg  

texadabc.jpg   sept10 008.jpg  

Old 07-09-2016, 08:22 AM   #32

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970/Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
Almost forgot I did a lot of camping out of the back of my pickup (canopy top, mattress in the back) up and down the west coast and at dog shows when I first started working. I did look seriously at popup truck campers at one point (my dad had one) but never got one. That was mostly camp at night/travel by day, though, rather than destination camping.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:02 AM   #33

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
........... from the back of my car with my girlfriend and wife,
Wow, girlfriend AND wife. Bet those were fun trips!
Old 07-09-2016, 09:41 AM   #34

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Oswego, NY
Registry
As a 5 year old, I made my first camping trip in 1950, a family vacation driving across the country in a 1938 Plymouth hauling a homebuilt "Camping Trailer" (it held the tent & stuff).

From there it was better & better tents. Eventually, our family almost always owned a full sized van so the trailer was no more.

My wife, myself & our kids tent camped for many years, making over 10 cross country trips. As we aged, and the kids left home, the number of nights in the tent dropped & the motel stops increased, particularly on cold or rainy nights.

After my wife died, I bought the trailer & have enjoyed 892 nights in the trailer, towing it 76,703 miles over the last 5 years. I have to admit the trailer is far more comfortable than packing up wet tents in the morning! Anyone interested in journals of most of the trips can find them here.
Attached Thumbnails
img035.jpg  
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:47 AM   #35

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
I've been camping a long time so there are many camping rigs: 1957 Chevy Pickup with homemade shell. 10'x10' canvass tent, Starcraft Pop-Up, 3 person Mountaineering tent (car camped with a MGB and Jeep Wrangler. Then 13 years ago, got the Scamp. The only one I would go back to is the Sports Car and Tent.
Old 07-09-2016, 02:11 PM   #36

Name: Tammie
Trailer: ParkLiner
Alabama
In the early 70's my parents had a Concord motorhome- a shoebox on wheels with avocado green shag carpeting. We camped in the Blue Ridge mountains, and my mom drove those twisty roads like the Tennessee girl she is.

My husband and I did some tent camping, then got into it big time when our son got into Boy Scouts- small troop, so we were both pressed into service as leaders. Troop motto: We camp even if it DOESN'T rain. Son's now an Eagle Scout and an assistant scoutmaster, so we've graduated too. Love our ParkLiner!
Old 07-09-2016, 03:18 PM   #37

Name: Steve Robison
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
Cottages and campers cabins. Tents are awful, I'm so glad we have our Scamp now.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:47 PM   #38

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Wow, girlfriend AND wife. Bet those were fun trips!
She did not change much when we got married.... and we still are 40 odd years later.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:06 PM   #39

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
Grew up car camping with a tent...with ideas of backpacking. As an adult, backpacked a few times with my husband and also car camped several times a year at lake mcconaughy in Nebraska.....where after losing a tent a few too many times to the wind, we decided to buy a canned ham. $700 later, we owned a leaky 1964 Cardinal 13' trailer...which we camped in when car camping until last summer when we upgraded to as camp!

Ilookfirward to backpacking again when the kids are out of diapers and able to walk several miles with a little pack, but if I'm driving in I'm sleeping on an actual bed.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:41 PM   #40

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Strung a blanket over four kitchen chairs.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:51 AM   #41

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
I'm 76, wife is 80; we've been camping for most of our 56yrs married life. Actually, I started as a teenager. Friends & I would go down to our local river, usually took a bale of hay, kicked it apart, threw a tarp over it, laid quilts or blankets over that, & it was 'camp'. We had a favorite area with a huge sycamore tree growing at an angle out of a bank. We'd build our fire in front of the tree which would reflect heat & light. Had no camping equipment, finally collected a coleman lantern & 'white gas' stove & thought we were living high!
When we married, wife (Hopi Indian from northern AZ) had never been camping. Our first camping trip in OK in early 1960s we camped out of our car with a tarp stretched from the top of doors & pegged down for shelter from nighttime dew. We had 2 young sons & had a great time, weather was nice, caught fish, few if any bugs; she was 'hooked' . We've been camping in one kind of rig or another ever since. Our sons grew up camping so they, their kids'n grandkids think that's the only proper kind of recreation. We've owned rigs from tents to truck campers to 5th wheel trailers & enjoyed 'em all during different periods. Currently in addition to the Casita we have a homebuilt teardrop trailer, a Scamp 13, & an 8' Starcraft pop-up trailer which is being replaced by a pop-up truck camper (my hunting/fishing rig). We still use 'em all depending on our mood & the camping type. I've also done a lot of camping (hunting & fishing) out of a 'shell' on the back of my truck. Gettin' too old for that anymore... We plan to continue camping as long as our health holds up, just getting 'wimpy' in old age & like a little more comfort .
Old 07-10-2016, 08:43 AM   #42

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
Early 70's was a tent. Moved on to a very tiny truck camper (did not go above the cab). Then a tent trailer -- we lost our interest in that after the mice liked it better. Then a bigger truck camper. After that, we purchased a cottage. Got a new tent and did bit of tent camping over the next few years but not much. In retirement, we purchased an old Palomino truck camper that fit on our Ford Ranger. It had a crank up roof so it was low when driving and lots of headroom when the roof was up. The canvas also made good air circulation. We took it from one end of Canada to the other and from the Yukon/NWT to South Dakota. Loved every bit of it and where we took it. (Now it is camping with someone else.)

Came upon a Surf-Side on a vacant lot with a for sale sign on it. It seems very large compared to the Palomino and we like that we can take the truck and go site seeing or shopping without having to take the whole unit.

Thanks for asking us to look back. It has been a fun 45 years, when we think back on it.