How did you camp before your Fiberglass RV? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2005, 11:39 AM   #21

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
That reminds me..

here is what I did when I first bought the Element. I felt so.. luxurious!

http://www.dreamlinks.net/~spldr/spldrcamp.htm
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 10:41 AM   #22

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1985
Good Morning, As a youngster, My folks had a number of camping devices, my Dad even built a tent trailer, Mom soon put the cabash on that. They bought a small 12ft terry, then a 13 ft. terry then .a 14 ft. terrr....... you get the idea. We went all over the darn place. From Mission Bay, Ca. to Canada...to..... once again you get the idea. We never went all the way to the East coast.
Anyway the last trailer they bought was the '85 Fiber Stream. I was out on my own by then so I spent very little time in it, they however, took it enerywhere. Coast to coast and across both north and south borders.
I moved away, and had no camping going on except for a short time with a'67 Chevy Van, that I put a bed and cooler in.
After I met my wife, whose parents just happened to have a 31 ft. motor home We decided to give this a try. We found an '84 Pace Arrow in very good shape and started camping around. Mostly Portland, Or.( for the Blues festival), and the Or. coast. It only broke down once, although we had to replace the refer, A.C. and some other stuff...Kinda spendy.
So.. my Mom called me in late '04 and said that she was giving up pulling her trailer (at age 88 or 89?) and said that no one in the family was interested in it! " Fools"...I thought, you bet I'll take her, and in honor of Mom and Dad I will name her "Little Ruthie". Mom even calls her that. And that, my fiberous friends is the story so far.
Sadly Dad passed away in '90, but mom(Ruth) is still going all over the world as she sees fit. Gooo, Mom!!!!
Via Con Dios
Randy and Renee
Bullards or Bust!!
RJordanX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 03:53 PM   #23

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Good question!

Paul camped in a tent with a sleeping bag with friends. I camped as a girl with my sister and parents in a tent (with a complete suite of folding metal furniture, no less), and a Shasta trailer--my sister and I were banished to the back of the station wagon so our parents could have a little privacy--but dad didn't unhook the trailer so our every move was transmitted to the trailer, shaking it all night.
I camped at Silver Creek summer camp with a hundred other kids in sleeping bags under the stars.

Paul and I were married in 1973. Since then, we've camped in a tent (I discovered I have a terror of bears), a bare truck canopy with a double mattress on a sheet of plywood laid across the wheel wells, an old Aloha trailer, a brand-new tent trailer, a well-used GM 1-ton conversion van (the Get-Away Van), and finally our 1973 amerigo, Peanut, one shell with two nuts in it.

Peanut is the first camping shelter we've named. It just screamed out for a name.

Seems like we don't ever quite give up on the great outdoors adventures!

We've never worked so hard to get a used rig ready for travel as we have Peanut...it quit being an "interest" and became a "commitment" somewhere between starry-eyed purchase in October and July 4th when we pulled out for our first camping trip in her.

Maybe this time it's love.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:17 PM   #24

Name: Rich
Trailer: 1970 Trails West Campster and 2012 Lil Snoozy
Kansas
Registry
Camping experience:
Started camping in a tent-loved it---until going thru a thunder storm with 'out of control' lightning!

Thats when we moved up to a pop up camper-loved it---until the cable broke while camping in july heat and no shade.
Took 3 guys and a day of work to fix it.

Started researching trailers-thats when I found fiberglassrv site.
The rest is history-love camping again.
Rich and Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:46 PM   #25

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Family camping, old canvas tent, as a kid, but not often as my Dad hated doing it with five kids! Then camping as a Girl Scout, then backpacking. Then a few times camping with my kids. Finally got set up for camping at agility trials and then quickly morphed from there to Fiberglass RV.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:00 PM   #26

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Pop up camper. My cute little Dutchmen Suck 801D. I loved that llittle unit. Shed a few years as new owner drove her away. I started looking for a new trailer and found FGRV site. Rest is new history!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Fiberglass RV mobile app
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:37 PM   #27

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Oops! Yikes I meant Duck

CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:57 AM   #28

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Tents, vans, canopy tops on trucks, Honda Element, boats, station wagon, motorhome, truck slide-in camper and travel trailer. There was even an old. band wagon hearse at one point in time . I was never too particular as long as I could get out and about. A few rustic, no amenities cabins for camping over the years as well.

We did not go camping when I was a kid. I started as a young adult after I left home. I was 19 and had moved to Alaska when I started camping. I was 58 when I took my first trip to Europe, I took a tent, rented a small car and camped for 21 days in the Normandy region of France. That allowed me to stay that long. I would like to do that same kind of trip again in other countries.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:58 AM   #29

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Dad had a slide in truck camper, then a 5th wheel, then a Class C MH. He liked the truck camper the best of all of them but the 5th and MH had advantages. Did a lot of back-country cabin "camping" as well. Older Brother had a sticky trailer we used some. In the Boy Scouts it was many, many (many I say) nights in the classic Voyager tent, I would like to find one today. On my own I slept a night or twelve under just a camper shell. Did that for a while with my daughter when she was small before finding our Scamp. I'm done, the Scamp it is!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:40 AM   #30

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
Oops! Yikes I meant Duck

....and tears, presumably. Shedding year would be nice, actually.

I camped in tents canoeing with my parents, then with friends, then from the back of my car with my girlfriend and wife, then with kids. The end of tenting came when the pegs pulled out of the loose sand and tent blew away twice in Page, AZ. The need to upgrade was finally clear to both of us. Scamp, here I come!
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:49 AM   #31

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
boat

Attached Thumbnails
newtrailer 003.jpg   egmontmorn.jpg  

texadabc.jpg   sept10 008.jpg  

Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:22 AM   #32

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Almost forgot I did a lot of camping out of the back of my pickup (canopy top, mattress in the back) up and down the west coast and at dog shows when I first started working. I did look seriously at popup truck campers at one point (my dad had one) but never got one. That was mostly camp at night/travel by day, though, rather than destination camping.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:02 AM   #33

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
........... from the back of my car with my girlfriend and wife,
Wow, girlfriend AND wife. Bet those were fun trips!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:41 AM   #34

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
As a 5 year old, I made my first camping trip in 1950, a family vacation driving across the country in a 1938 Plymouth hauling a homebuilt "Camping Trailer" (it held the tent & stuff).

From there it was better & better tents. Eventually, our family almost always owned a full sized van so the trailer was no more.

My wife, myself & our kids tent camped for many years, making over 10 cross country trips. As we aged, and the kids left home, the number of nights in the tent dropped & the motel stops increased, particularly on cold or rainy nights.

After my wife died, I bought the trailer & have enjoyed 892 nights in the trailer, towing it 76,703 miles over the last 5 years. I have to admit the trailer is far more comfortable than packing up wet tents in the morning! Anyone interested in journals of most of the trips can find them here.
Attached Thumbnails
img035.jpg  
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:47 AM   #35

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
I've been camping a long time so there are many camping rigs: 1957 Chevy Pickup with homemade shell. 10'x10' canvass tent, Starcraft Pop-Up, 3 person Mountaineering tent (car camped with a MGB and Jeep Wrangler. Then 13 years ago, got the Scamp. The only one I would go back to is the Sports Car and Tent.
Old 07-09-2016, 02:11 PM   #36

Name: Tammie
Trailer: ParkLiner
Alabama
In the early 70's my parents had a Concord motorhome- a shoebox on wheels with avocado green shag carpeting. We camped in the Blue Ridge mountains, and my mom drove those twisty roads like the Tennessee girl she is.

My husband and I did some tent camping, then got into it big time when our son got into Boy Scouts- small troop, so we were both pressed into service as leaders. Troop motto: We camp even if it DOESN'T rain. Son's now an Eagle Scout and an assistant scoutmaster, so we've graduated too. Love our ParkLiner!
Tammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 03:18 PM   #37

Name: Steve Robison
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
Cottages and campers cabins. Tents are awful, I'm so glad we have our Scamp now.
Bluetang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 04:47 PM   #38

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Wow, girlfriend AND wife. Bet those were fun trips!
She did not change much when we got married.... and we still are 40 odd years later.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:06 PM   #39

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
Grew up car camping with a tent...with ideas of backpacking. As an adult, backpacked a few times with my husband and also car camped several times a year at lake mcconaughy in Nebraska.....where after losing a tent a few too many times to the wind, we decided to buy a canned ham. $700 later, we owned a leaky 1964 Cardinal 13' trailer...which we camped in when car camping until last summer when we upgraded to as camp!

Ilookfirward to backpacking again when the kids are out of diapers and able to walk several miles with a little pack, but if I'm driving in I'm sleeping on an actual bed.
Zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:41 PM   #40

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Strung a blanket over four kitchen chairs.