How Did You Get Introduced to FG Campers? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-16-2012, 09:01 PM   #15
Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
I'm a recent convert (10yrs). I camped when I was younger, but got out of it while raising my family. Then, in early 2000, I felt like something was missing from my life, and it became clear that it was camping. When I went to a RV dealer to price out a small trailer, they didn't have anything shorter than 19ft. They said that it wasn't profitable to make smaller trailers. So I hit the web, to find out what small used trailers were out there. I stumbled onto FGRV in one of my searches, and joined up. That turned me onto the FGrs and the positives of Glass Campers (such as low weight, less maintenance, reasonable cost to own). After that, there was no considering a stickie, I had to go for the Glass Class of camping

Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:16 PM   #16
Commercial Member
Name: Deb & Chuck
Trailer: Bigfoot,Trillum, Boler
At one time we were planning a RV trip to Alaska and did not want to pull our beautiful Airstream. Found a 83 Bigfoot Gaucho. It was then we discovered glass and have never driven to Alaska.

Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:36 PM   #17
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool Puck - Lite House - Compact Jr. - Fiber Stream

The seed was planted back in the mid 1980's when I bought a 1979 Volkswagen Beetle Convertible from a friend. I used to commute past a used vehicle consignment lot and there was an Eriba Puck there for a long time. Well, I couldn't afford the Puck at the time but I would stop and visit it often.

Later on a flight home from back east, the airline magazine had an ad for the Lite House trailer. I sent for their sales information, but thought it was too expensive. Remembering the Puck and figuring I might be able to afford something used, I started picking up the "Auto Trader, RV edition" magazine at the convenience store every week.Then in 2000 I bought a 1991 Camry Station Wagon from another friend. It was a V6 and had a trailer hitch receiver on it because they had a boat...

I found the Compact Jr. in the Auto Trader. It was cheap because it was an empty gutted shell. I thought of the Johnny Cash song, "One piece at a time..." and decided that's how I could afford the trailer. While surfing the internet I found "Vintage Vacations." I spent a lot of time on that site, but the Compact Jr. was different from those trailers and I didn't quite fit in.

A member on that site, Lizbeth, told me that I belonged at and that's how I found this site. I spent so much time here that eventually I was invited to be a Moderator.
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:27 AM   #18
Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
In the mid 70's my dad's brother had a 13' Trillium. I think I was only in it once. I remember thinking that it was so much bigger on the inside then the outside. I also remember them on the road as dad drove up to my grand father's cottage, (now my dad's cottage).
Last summer when I packed my family of seven into a Safari mini van, and drove from Calgary to my dad's cottage in Ontario. I was so over loaded that I scared my self. Driving is the only vacation that I can afford. Airfare for the seven of us is out of the budget. For the cost of one vacation, I was able to purchase a 1997 Savana travel van, and a 1978 Trillium 4500. The Trillium turned out to be in incredibly good condition, for its 34 years. I spent the next few months being stupidly giddy. I could not believe what a valuable yet economical package I had purchased. I remember saying something like, "plan B is looking a lot better". I realized that with a few modifications that I could make the trailer last another 50 years. I am now in the process of getting one for each of my kids. Two now have trailers, three more to go.
The three trailers that I have are all Trilliums, but I think then next few will be late 80's Bigfoot fifth wheels.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:15 AM   #19
Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream owner
Originally Posted by Kenny Strong View Post
back packed my whole life (now 66, still; packing to the lakes to fish and hike) my wife wanted to buy a used Airstream, 23', which we did. My sister bought a Boler. suggested we do Canada and Alaska. felt the Airstream was to big. Found and bought the a 13' Bigfoot . sold the Airstream. All is good. enjoy the smaller trailer. Talked 2 friends into buying scamps. both back packing colleagues.

We thought about getting back into RVing and started looking at eggs and bigfoots as we had a V6 Mini Van. Stumbled into Can AM in London and test pulled a 34' Airstream with a V6 car. What a sweet ride with no drama. Ended up with a Coleman pop up which worked great for 5 years. But the memory of the Airstream drive never went away. Ended up with a 23' Airstream and owned it now for 10 years.

We still find the eggs interesting. Some day we may find ourselves with one. Then we could get a smaller, more economical, 4cyl car.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:37 AM   #20
Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 1984 FiberStream
2008 I started searching the web for vintage trailers. I wanted something that was solid, small, because of pull weight concerns- I had a 95 Dodge caravan at the time. Somehow I stumbled across FGRV website and began looking. I thinknit took me almost 9 months to find a FGRV somewhat close to me- Im in Pennsylvania. Well, I finally found a 1972 Trillium in NJ by the shore that was listed on this site and bought it sight unseen. Since, I had to sell it about two years ago because I had totaled the van and didnt have full coverage; I needed a vehicle for the family to get around. I ended up selling the Trillium to a nice man on this site from Virginia. He also bought it site unseen wuthin 24 hours of it being listed. I was soooo sad to have to sell it. ;( But I began looking again, and now started to zero in on which FGRV I really liked and began my search. About 9 months into my search I fou d a Fiberstream for sale on this site. I spoke to the man about the condition iver tge phone and made an offer- BUT, it was in Iregon and I wouldnt be able to make the 5600 mile trip round trip for 5 mo ths. He said no probkem, and held onto the trailer for me. When I finally made the trip, the Fiberstream was in the exact shape he described and I was one happy camper!-just last month I found another Fiberstream, but in Montana. The wonderful peopke on this site went to look at it for me and I bought it!!! This Fibersyream is in Montana, and I pkan to get it this September. Right now its in storage. Now Im in the marjet for a Boler!!!
Cyndivg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #21
Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Ebay! I inherited some money from my grandmother. We volunteered to work on Pine Ridge for the first time. Their website (the non-profit at Pine Ridge) had little information, and as time drew nearer to stay there, I got more nervous about living arrangements. So I began looking at popups on ebay and stumbled on our first FB, a Burro for sale just up the road from us. Hubby and I looked at it through the fence and took a chance and bid on it. By ignoring his recommendation for maximum bid and bidding more, I beat out those last minute bidders who did not expect my bid to jump that much.

So we had it and now what to do with it? It was then that I found this forum...

CindyL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #22
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Always camped this was an evolution

Have camped since I was a kid, parents had all kinds of tent/pop up campers over the years. I tent camped once I started my own family. I bought a church bus and converted to a motor home and used that or tents for many years. It was a blessing while traveling to be able to tell the kids "you and you to your bunks. It's nap time if your going to act like that". Plus having the room to let them bring friends.

Once it got down to DW and myself kind of hard to justify the gas cost to break out the beast. So we looked at small, lite stickies. Could not get past the price of new, and at the time the "lite" thing was not old enough to have a good used market.

That is when I first recalled the Scamps I had seen before, did some looking online, found out about Scamp, Burro, EggCamper and such but new was a bit much and not much in the used to be found. Still had plenty of our tenting gears so we just sort of muddled along. But the trap had been set.

When the chance came up to buy a used Scamp from a co-worker we jumped in with both feet. I emailed pictures of scamp to wife, her reply mentioned "cute" several times.

I found this site while doing some research on prices in the 36 hrs between hearing it was available and hooking it to our car. Cute carries a lot of weight in this houshold.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:26 PM   #23
Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
having grown up in toronto and dennis in markham (sptting distance north of toronto), where trilliums were born, we both had remembered seeing them in our youth. were we smart enough to look for one in our younger years when we got the wanderlust bug and sold our house and car and bought a VW camper van? no. then we settled down and had kids and went back to camping in tents firstly and then tent trailers (pop-ups) secondly. we loved being up off of the ground, but hated the set up and take down, especially in the rain. OMG how we hated that! once the boys were grown and it was back to just the 2 of us to go camping, we decided to get ourselves something that was no setup, could be accessed from the side of the road for lunch and immediately dennis said--"hey, what about those little trilliums that we used to see when we were kids?"
after a quick check on the internet, not finding any listed on kijiji, i noticed a link to this website when i googled trillium trailers. we connected with another member who answered my request for info on where i might find one in the maritimes. we bought our OSOKOZY and are now best friends with that member and his wife---who just happened to live mere blocks from us..and whom we may never have met had we not looked for a trillium on this website.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #24
Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Growing up in Saskatchewan with biennial family trips to BC I saw the occasional Boler on the road, driveway or farm. They always caught my eye and since I can remember I've always thought that someday I'd like one of those. I thought it would happen when I was older, to old to tent camp. I'm not to old to tent but camp (yet!) but if I I'm going to camp by my car why not be dry and comfortable.
1969 Boler
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:59 AM   #25
Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... It's all my brothers fault. He's had at least 4 Bolers and was on his way to get another one when we found our first. Our tug only had a 1250# tow cap so that meant small very light weight and the boler fit. Two years later...lots of trips, and one look at the Escape 5.0 and we were hooked. The chance to buy the Escape we viewed was like having your cake and eating it too!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
rope& pole awning.jpg   Together again.jpg  

Alf S. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:14 AM   #26
Name: Doug and Becky
Trailer: Compact Jr
We have had many campers

We first had a Scamp in 1980 and we only had one child. We then went bigger and bigger owning two stickies and 4 motor homes. Then the kids got older and we just did not use the last stick built trailer so it sat and was deteriorating so I sold it. Kids gone so we thought it would be good to get a very light trailer so we bought a tent in a box called Memory Maker that only weighted about 400 lbs, but the set up was a pain and luckily in the three years we owned it we never had rain while setting it up or down. We went to the Annapolis sailboat show and two friends went with us, it would sleep 4 people. On the way back they asked me to find a trailer for them. So I googled fiberglass trailers. That brought me to this site, and I spent many hours going over all of the different brands. Even though I have always been in camping I did not know all of those brands. The one that caught my eye is the Compact Jr. I told my wife I had to have one of those and the search began. I found one close to Macon GA and we live in Ohio. I talked to the lady that owned it for an hour and I have never bought anything sight unseen, but I had to do it because of the demand for these trailers. We sent a check and she kept it until we traveled down on our way to Florida in two months. This is the best camper we have ever owned. We redid it and it has been back and forth from Florida to Ohio twice and it can go into a garage. Plus it has the largest bed of any camper we have ever owned. When we camp we are always the conversation piece in the campground. We name our camper "Tweety" and I really credit this web site for our happiness in camping.
Attached Thumbnails
2012-05-25 pictures from phone to 5-29-2012 014.jpg  
CompactJR-Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #27
Trailer: 1975 Boler
When I was a kid, I played with my cousins in their Boler. It was our fort! Never camped in it, but it was always a good memory. It's still sitting where it did 15 years ago...
Now I'm married, and with our 2 kids we wanted something a bit easier and more 'homey' to camp in than a tent. We don't like BIG things and neither does our car, so a Boler fit the bill!
Also, we hope our kids will be able to use their imaginations to use it as a fort and playhouse when we're not camping in it!
Evan Friesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:01 PM   #28
Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
We had tent camped for several years but grew weary of the setup, tear down and sleeping on the ground. The local Air Force base had 16' Casitas for rent and we used several for vacation and enjoyed the experience. Then Carswell AFB went on the closure list and was converted to Naval Air Station Ft. Worth and the Casitas were replaced by 20' stick builts. Too big for us to tow. The search began for a small fiberglass trailer and we found our Compact Jr. Now 6 grandkids later we need more room so we added the Bigfoot.

1980 Bigfoot 17' & 1973 Compact Jr
Tom Trostel is offline   Reply With Quote