How Did You Get Introduced to FG Campers? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-18-2012, 09:06 PM   #29
Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
I remember that we used to visit some relatives in Canada and they had an adorable little camper that I now realize was a Trillium !

Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #30
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
(signature line Quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius.
Perhaps we all could borrow a bit of Latin for ourselves:
Quem deus vult beatus, prius fiberglassus

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... --Ecclesiastes 3
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #31
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
While traveling to and from work we would pass a farm with a Boler siting in the machinery shed. What's a Boler we wondered? We never stopped in to ask or we would have gotten here a lot sooner. Years later, while camping we got to visit with a Scamp 13 owner and then a Casita owner. So when it was time to replace our Chalet A frame, like everyone else, we came to this site looking for fiberglass trailer info, caught the bug, and here we are. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:42 PM   #32
Name: Jill
Trailer: Eggcamper
Minnesota AND Florida
I started looking for a small camper several months ago. At first, I was convinced that I needed a Trailmanor ..... Until I saw one at a campground and got inside. Then I thought I wanted an Aliner or Chalet, until I kept reading owner forums about some of the issues. Then I looked at a Casita and liked the overall approach, but just wasn't convinced yet. Then I stumbled onto this forum, and began reading. I did become a quick fan of fiberglass, but just needed to narrow down what I wanted. I knew I didn't want a fixer-upper, because I know nothing about campers. So when you narrow it down to newer-used eggs, the choice became simple as there are not a lot of newer-used out there. When a 2010 egg came up, we bought it!
MinnesotaJill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:38 PM   #33
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
I got an early start in camping, before anybody heard of fiberglass trailers, I think. The very first camping trip I remember I was 5 or 6 years old. It's possible that I did a bit of camping before that.
As the years progressed lot of camping, first no tent, just sleeping on the ground with a couple blankets. Somewhere in the early teens a sleeping bag was acquired. Later teens a pup tent was added. In my 20s with wife and child a cabin tent and coleman stove improved camping. Somewhere around my late 30s or early 40s backpacking was discovered. The cabin tent ditched, the coleman stove retired, and new light weight equipment of the day was acquired. In my late 50s early 60s things changed a bit. Some of our camping was being done at events where people were camped close together. Getting dressed while laying on our backs became something we were getting tired of. An RV of some sort was destined to be in our future. After 3 or 4 years of research and thinking about different kinds of RVs we stumbled upon a Burro at a local campground where we were looking for a geocache. A few months later I got a chance to look inside one. I was hooked and started looking for a used one. After about a year of looking for a used one, we decided that the best thing to do was go ahead a get a new one. Then a couple months looking and evaluating all the options we ordered the one we have now. It was delivered on December 15, 2005.

The backpacks are still here and useable, with expectations that we might get out sometime for a couple days in remote location, but mostly we use the Scamp. Most of our camping days are done in the winter away from the cold and rain of the Pacific Northwest.
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:53 AM   #34
Name: Heather
Trailer: Trillium
I was born camping! Ok not really, Mom waited til summer as I was born in December I am a third generation hard core camper. Had my new born babies sleeping in a tent and I am sure I have created campers out of them! The egg came to be for a number of reasons. First Farren injured his back and tenting was getting difficult. When I was young we camped in tents, popups and stickys but my heart always stayed with a neighbor's Boler. I it! When we were shopping for a trailer a Trill popped up on Kijiji and it was just what I wanted. That and the fact that the egg is only 5 years younger than me but in much better shape
Farren and Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:50 AM   #35
Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
My wife and I were tent-camping at Big Meadow on the Skyline Drive and set up near two ladies in what my wife took to be a very small Airstream trailer. This was in the late 70s. I remember the trailer being painted green and having that riveted, gored metal, radiused look but I'll bet it was an (under 15') version from another marque. In 2010, she decided she wanted to "look into" a used Airstream. A preliminary look on eBay convinced me that wasn't going to happen. Saw some Scamps and Casitas there and I started lobbying her to look at molded fiberglass. So in early 2011 we looked at a 2000 Casita in south Jersey and next a '98 Burro in southern Delaware. Bought the Burro and towed home same day. Could have been a disaster but has turned out well with a little sweat equity. I have never seen a second 17' Widebody up close and personal but feel like I have due to gawking at classified ads. We think it is purrrrrrfect for us altho as soon as the Year of Living Modificationally was concluded, I began to get 2footitus and a roving eye that fastened on Bigfoot 5ers and recently the Bigfoot 28' Silver Cloud on eBay. A guy can dream but really I don't need the hassle of a bigger lashup than we already have.

rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:12 AM   #36
Name: Steven
Trailer: Currently Shopping
NW Wisconsin
My Wife! We retired and talked about traveling . I liked to camp , she liked motels. One day we saw a Scamp while driving , she thought it was "cute" We drove to Backus Minnesota and looked at Scamps, she still thought they were "cute"
Two months later we bought a 16 ft Scamp . In the 16 months of owning our Scamp we have done more traveling than in the first 41 years of our marriage. The 'cute factor worked for us.
steve dunham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #37
Name: Brett
Trailer: 05 Escape 17b
British Columbia
It was an evolution of lifestyle that got me into the fiberglass trailers. I went from a single renter to a married with dogs homeowner. But wait there is more, my younger brother and I at the same time had started going tent camping each summer as a way for him, his son(my nephew) and I to do some male bonding.

When we returned with tales of fun the wimmen folk wanted in on the action and my brother last year had a small stick trailer and I was still in the tent. There was no way I was going to let my younger brother up me in the accomodation dept so when I returned home I casually started looking for a trailer. The pickup I purchased for yard maintenance is a Nissan Frontier and that necessitated small light weight trailer. I found the Escape website by accident, then an ad for an Escape trailer here, in my city and destiny was complete.

It happened fast, my wife comes camping now and everyone is having fun
"Bigger isn't Better, Better is Better"
Islandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #38
Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2007 Toyota Tundra/2015 Tundra
When the "slaves" thought it was too weird to go camping with their parents to pop up went and we started looking for a small trailer easy to pull. We looked at used Scamps but they were too far away or too much work so we ordered our first 13'. Graduated to the 5ver which became our home away from home a couple of times. I have found you can live without a lot of things for quite awhile.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:56 PM   #39
Name: Dave
Trailer: Seeking Bigfoot 25 RB
British Columbia
About a zillion years ago I had a summer job (University years) working for a railway, loading boxcars etc. Periodically we would get Boler 13's to load into a freightcar. Push 'em in, tie them down REAL well, and fill the spaces around 'em with boxes of Old Dutch Chips (Yes, this was in Winnipeg, in 1970!)

Later, in my post-grad years, I had to do field research, which involved a lot of canoeing around with tents & sleeping bags etc. (This quickly developed into my life-long loathing for and hatred of camping and all things related to camping, including tents, sleeping bags, and stuff like that)

A later experiment when we lived in the NWT, involving a pick-up mounted camper confirmed the "We'd MUCH rather stay home than ever go camping" attitude.

Flash forward to the years of recorded history (post Noah's Ark) and we found that many of our friends were taking their hotrods to weekend-long events and were towing trailers. We were missing out on the parties & socializing.

So we bought a trailer - a sticky. It paid off instantly when (first year using it) we won a blueprinted engine as a door prize!

4 years later the sticky fell apart, but a fellow hotrodder had a Boler 17 for sale, so we bought it. That was about 15 years ago.

Now we have a 21 foot Bigfoot, but I keep thinking that our perfect trailer would be a 30 to 34 foot sticky, covered all over with a one-piece glass outer layer to prevent leaks & rot & etc. There just ain't any eggs BIG enough to be comfortable for us for more than a weekend!!
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #40
Name: Dave
Trailer: Seeking Bigfoot 25 RB
British Columbia
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
the Bigfoot 28' Silver Cloud on eBay. A guy can dream but really I don't need the hassle of a bigger lashup than we already have.

I'm going to look at that Silver Cloud in the next day or 2. Is there anything you'd like me check out specifically for you?
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #41
Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Thanks Dave. My interest is purely thought-problem fantasy or problem-thought fantasy or fantasy-thought problem of the Could I afford the tires? Would I always find a pull-thru site and similar. Good luck to you or your client if you're scouting. I will say I was put off by the lawyer boilerplate in the ebay ad. Looks like given the age, the trailer demands a serious survey but "good to excellent" should mean exactly that.

rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:45 PM   #42
Name: Sharon
Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe
We had a foldup sticky (Aliner). After watching it disintegrate before my eyes for 4 years, I decided I wanted something with quality--if there was such a thing in the RV world.

That's when I discovered fiberglass eggs. My used Casita is two years older than the Aliner was and still looks and feels new to me.

Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote