How do I choose?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #1

Name: Kris
Trailer: Shopping
Maryland
How do I choose??

I was very interested in a Parkliner, but with all the issues just contacting the company, I am ready to consider another company, but how do I choose? I can't go visit them all, or really any since they are all so far from me. Casita vs Scamp vs EggCamper..... I will tow it with a Toyota FJ Cruiser. HELP!
FishBioGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You are set with your tow vehicle. I think eggcamper is the next closest Manuf. to you in MI. It's hard without seeing them in person. Most say go to your next closest egg gathering and see them in person. Or you can call the business and get a referral for the closest model to you. I am assuming here you are talking about a new one. not used. Cheers
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Choosing is definitely an adventure................
As I was searching each and every one became first on my list.
Park Liner was next to the last on my first on list, but then Lil Snoozy
beat them out for my own personal needs.

Just for general information, here is a photo tour of mine when I got it home.

Backyard Photo Shoot

Lil Snoozy is in South Carolina. It was a thousand mile trip one way for me.
So it is a consideration. Finding a rally is the best way to check various brands
out. I went to one in Arkansas to check out a Snoozy before we went to the factory
to visit. Good luck on your search.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Kris, the best thing you can do is to read up lots, especially on this forum. You will be able to get a fairly good feel what is offered by the various manufacturers, and what best suits your needs.

For what it is worth, I bought my Escape without ever seeing one, just going on how pleased existing owners were, plus they were just planning out the 19, which for us seemed to be the unit to fit the bill. Our expectations were met, and even exceeded.

For Escape, and likely most other manufacturers, you can contact them for information on owners near you so you can arrange a visit if you wish.

Or, like Carl mentions, going to a trailer rally is a great way to see some of the offerings. Plus, they are always lots of fun.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
All these trailers are more alike than different. Since you can tow quite a bit of weight... You'll find the differences (size), but also layout and budget. Once you figure the layout that works best for you... then you start figuring your budget and which manufacturers meet those criteria.

Best of luck on your egg hunt!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:29 PM   #6

Name: Rosemary
Trailer: In the market
Pennsylvania
I highly recommend attending a fiberglass trailer rally if at all possible. I just returned from the Copake, NY, rally where I toured Casitas, Scamps, Escapes, a Burro, Trillium, UHaul and a Parkliner. I also saw Scamp and Escape 5.0's.

No amount of pictures or measurements could compare to seeing them in person. Thanks to the great owners, I was invited to sit in the dinettes, stretch out on a lounge, see the bathroom, check out the kitchen areas and just overall get the real feel of each trailer. Each of the owners will answer your questions, give advice and discuss theirs vs. your needs in a trailer. Also trailer features they have and features they wish they had.

For example, I learned that getting up and down the steps to a bed in a 5.0 (like in the middle of the night) is not difficult at all. I really liked those models whereas I would not have considered them before being in one.

If you cannot get to a rally, as someone already suggested, contact the manufacturers and ask for owners in your area who are willing to show their trailers.

Rosemary
Seamstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #7

Name: Keith
Trailer: Not yet
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBioGirl View Post
I was very interested in a Parkliner, but with all the issues just contacting the company, I am ready to consider another company, but how do I choose? I can't go visit them all, or really any since they are all so far from me. Casita vs Scamp vs EggCamper..... I will tow it with a Toyota FJ Cruiser. HELP!
FishGirl,
Look for my post I visited Casita, Scamp, Parkliner and LiL Snoozy you can read what my impression is of the factories but really that doesn’t do it. You need to check out the campers in person. Check Craigslist and its pretty easy to find a Scamp or Casita that is fairly new to look at and get an idea of what you like or don’t. For me the big issue (which doesn’t seem to be universal) was the bed size. Escape looks like they make are real nice rig but I have not visited them. At this point I am leaning towards the Lil Snoozy. Good luck in your search and there are a lot of post and helpful people here with a great level of experience to help out.
Flharleycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #8

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Kris, welcome to the group!

I'm another one recommending that you find a rally (or two, or three) and then go through the campers. Also, try contacting the various factories and see if they have anyone local to you that will let you tour their trailers.

As to what I'd choose?
I have an affinity to my home state's product the EggCamper!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (Previously 2004 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel)
I wasn't near any factories either. We contacted Scamp and Casita, both of whom gave us the name of nice owners close by who happily showed us their trailers. Seeing them both in person convinced me I would do well with either brand, although I slightly preferred the Scamp. I then drove across the country to pick up my first Scamp from a dealer who had taken it on a trade-in, after seeing only on the pictures on the dealer's website. It was my lucky day that the dealer had no idea what a Scamp was! By the time I started running across used Bigfoots on dealer lots near me, I had been on this forum long enough to know they were worth looking into as well.
Karen T is offline   Reply With Quote