How do you back up? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-17-2007, 07:39 PM   #29

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe

Yeah, that works...

I guess one could also say that you back up until it sounds expensive.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:40 PM   #30

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Did I mention screaming and foul language helps?

Old 04-19-2007, 06:58 PM   #31

Trailer: Eco 12 ft
I use the Micheal Jordan technique, close my eyes and stick my tounge out.

Mirrors only, and with the mirror setup on the primary tug, I can even blindside using the mirrors

Most of that has to do with driving moving trucks though, several years of pulling a 48' trailer over residential streets gives you an EXCELLENT feel for where the trailer is and what it's doing.

Matt
Old 04-20-2007, 06:09 AM   #32

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Boler 13 ft / 31 ft Holiday Rambler
Maine
When it's all said and done (alot of things said that shouldn't have), with the wife sitting at the pick-nick table sulking about what you have said to her and you trying to stop the blood flow from bitting you lip while hopeing there is no real damage to electrical box or water spigot.
Your ready to enjoy the 4 remaining hours at the campground only to be off again tomorrow to a new and "FUN " time at tne next destination.
All in good fun
Gerry the canoebuilder
Old 04-20-2007, 06:50 AM   #33

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Vewwy Vewwy slowly ...and so what if it looks like you've never done it before Fiberglass repairs may be cheap and easy...for a BODY SHOP I have a Dolly wheel for the tongue jack...don't know how it fits but I can learn...FAST!!! Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 04-20-2007, 10:41 AM   #34

Trailer: Casita
Use mirors, hand on the bottom of the steering wheel, move hand in the direction you want the rear of the trailer to go, do it SLOWLY, and not when you're tired. My experience.

Have any of you found a GOOD pair of extension mirrors? I have the kind which slip over the existing ones, but they shake around a LOT. Very distracting. Next truck will have wider mirrors. Dwain
Old 04-20-2007, 10:56 AM   #35

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Have any of you found a GOOD pair of extension mirrors? I have the kind which slip over the existing ones, but they shake around a LOT. Very distracting. Next truck will have wider mirrors. Dwain
I just bought a wider truck Truthfully, my F-150 works great with the Scamp...they're both the same width.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 01:49 PM   #36

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Quote:
Use mirors, hand on the bottom of the steering wheel, move hand in the direction you want the rear of the trailer to go, do it SLOWLY, and not when you're tired. My experience.

Try Cipa towing mirrors. I put them on my F-150 and they work great.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:25 PM   #37

Trailer: Casita
Thanks. they look great. I believe I'll try them. Dwain
Old 04-20-2007, 07:27 PM   #38

Trailer: Eco 12 ft
Quote:
I just bought a wider truck Truthfully, my F-150 works great with the Scamp...they're both the same width.
LOL- That's my approach too, the old 'Binder and the swing out camper mirrors are about 102" wide stretched out, minimizes the blind spots

Matt
Old 04-27-2007, 12:35 AM   #39

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
I drove semi's for thirty years and there are many schools of thought but my personal favorite is to back in on the drivers side so you can look out the drivers window to see where the trailer wheels are going while also using the mirrors...... If you back in on the right side(passenger side) or as i call it the "blind side" it's much more difficult but not impossible.
when backing up using the mirrors just look in the mirrors and if you want the front of the trailer to go left just turn the wheel to the left to get it started but halfway into it you have to follow thru (turn the wheel the other way to the right) or you will jack the trailer too tight and bend the frame on your trailer....be careful because if you do it wrong you will hurt the trailer....just be careful not to jack it too tight (rear bumper hits the trailer frame)....with practice it becomes second nature but please be careful not to hurt that trailer and go very slow until you get the feel for it.... hope this helps some
Joe
And the best place to practice is NOT in the Camp Ground where you'll often have all the "experts" critiquing your performance.

Take your rig to a school parking lot some weekend and use parking spaces to practice on. Much more forgiving. And just keep at it until you can do it.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:13 AM   #40

Trailer: 1970 Boler
In Reverse.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:34 PM   #41
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
First rule of backing is just don't sweat it. Most of the time I do really well. I just take it slow, use my mirrors and go for it. Once in a while, though, I have those times when I back in a zig-zag. Not to worry, I still get it where it needs to go. Just do it and don't worry about it.

I took a trip about a year ago and I even had a tad bit of trouble getting out of my short driveway. Something that never happens. That entire trip I was backing challenged.

It really doesn't bother me. Besides, I'm a girl and it makes the guys feel a whole lot better when I don't do so good.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:19 PM   #42

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 94 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
Advice if it's applicable to your tug:

A longtime trailering guy taught me to use four wheel drive whenever I'm manuevering the trailer. You can get a better feel for small movements and make more precise ones in 4WD.