How do you get rid of ANTS? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-26-2007, 03:13 PM   #15
Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Anybody know how to keep the noseeums out
How do you know they are there if ya cant seeum?

*Gina Slinks off to her room, slowly...*

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:47 PM   #16
Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
How do you know they are there if ya cant seeum?

*Gina Slinks off to her room, slowly...*
Umm, you can feel them bite... I can attest, after spending a couple of days in Pennekamp SP CG in the Keys one year that after one picks up a bunch of them in an egg they will live on for about three days. If I were to go into No-See-Um country for a while, I would take the NSM netting that I salvaged from an old tent and put it over my window screens (it has finer mesh, but also blocks the flow of air more than the standard skeeter-skreen).

BTW, DEET doesn't work so well for NSMs; one needs something thick like SkinSoSoft or vegetable oil on the skin to mess them up.

Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:06 PM   #17
Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
We pulled up in a parking lot to work for the weekend. About four hours later we went out to the trailer and we had been invaded by little sugar ants. One branch from a near by hedge had touched the side of the trailer and since the window was open for air, they had come in through the screen. By the time we had noticed, they had crawled under the bed to the kitchen side and were trying to find a cupboard to invade. We had to pull up the bed and spray, under all the cushions and there was a solid black line down the wall and in all directions. Dale went out and with his pocket knife removed the offending branch and sprayed around all of the supports and jacks. It just seems like there should be an easier way than to bring out the spray every time you stop. We do the logical things like keep the cords off the ground but some would believe that the ants have the advantage. Any suggestions? How do you keep the little sugar ants from getting into your trailer?
I have used "Borax" for year in my old house. It seems at a certain time of the year the ants dearly love to invade my kitchen. I just sprinkle this white powder along the line of ants and around the sink and by the next day they are gone!!! I don't see why using boraxo wouldn't work in a campground. Be sure to use borax, the clothes washing additive. It is safe to use around children, is not poisonous like sprays. Try it, you'll like it. Margaret
Marg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 01:22 AM   #18
Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Anybody know how to keep the noseeums out

These folks sell no-see-um mesh by the yard: By the yard

NOTE to all. Borax and boric acid are not the same thing. Boric acid works very well to kill ants (and roaches) and you can buy it about any place as Roach Powder.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 09:42 PM   #19
Name: Marv
Trailer: Escape 5.0 (sold) :(
A note of caution: we were at a California State Beach recently. It used to be common there to use Comet or other bleaching cleanser around everything that touches the ground. Now, that is outlawed due an environmental issue. It is posted as a $250 fine and the ranger seemed serious.

I didn't pursue it to see if a non-bleaching cleanser or some other powder is accepatable. The printed notice specified Comet and one other cleanser by name.

Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:25 PM   #20
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Will I'll be darned. I always thought the best way to get rid of aunts was to send them home to the uncles.

Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote