How do YOU get rid of Spam - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-22-2007, 08:24 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
How do you folks get rid of spam? Is there a good program to use. We are getting more and more each day.

Thanks in advance for feedback.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:57 AM   #2

Trailer: BIOD (1979 and 1990)
Registry
Quote:
How do you folks get rid of spam?Is there a good program to use.We are getting more and more each day.
Take a gmail address
Forward the mail from your old address to your gmail address (if possible).
You will still get spam, but separated from the normal mails.
Blog: https://rilexm.eu/fotoboek/2009na/
Lex M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 09:00 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Yeah, mine is handled by my ISP. Anytime I get spam from anyone, I can mark it "spam," and somehow the filters make certain I never receive mail from that address, or anything closely titled the same. It doesn't delete it, but places in a spam folder so I can view before final deletion, if I prefer.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 09:29 AM   #4

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
always be VERY careful 'where you go' on the net and don't leave a trail (your addy) IF possible!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:00 AM   #5

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
quit looking at "those" websites Ches!

I have a couple of yahoo addresses that get used when I sign up for things, and a personal address that is only given out to friends family etc.

My work address is used for (go figure) work items only (Yeah, I am the only person on earth that doesn't give out my work addy casually)

With this system, I stay pretty spam free, and what comes in comes to the Yahoo addies and is filtere by yahoo. Thier filter seems pretty good.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:01 AM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Yeah, mine is handled by my ISP. Anytime I get spam from anyone, I can mark it "spam," and somehow the filters make certain I never receive mail from that address, or anything closely titled the same. It doesn't delete it, but places in a spam folder so I can view before finally deletion if I prefer.
This is ONE of the strategies I use. My email provider is different from my ISP. I do NOT use Microsoft Outlook. I also sweep my computer periodically with "Spybot Search and Destroy" to keep spammers from placing cookies. I also periodically delete cache and cookies.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:04 AM   #7

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Chester,

This is the home version of what I have used for years on my corporate networks that I manage. Always been rated as one of the top.

Internet Security

It includes Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, and Spam filters. You can install on three home computers for the price.
We use this home version on wifes and children's puters and it works just as good as the corporate version.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:15 AM   #8

Quote:
quit looking at "those" websites Ches!
I am too old to look Gina---Weak Heart
Old 09-22-2007, 12:49 PM   #9

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Look at www.peoplepc.com.

It is an ISP for a cheep price and they have a Spam Blocker.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 08:21 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
The very first thing I would do is check with my email provider, usually your isp. Do they have a spam blocker, if so is it turned on. I use earthlink for my main email address and have to turn on and set the level of spam blocking I want. It goes all the way to denying anybody that I haven't given them permission to send on to no spam filtering at all.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:58 PM   #11

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
How do you folks get rid of spam? Is there a good program to use. We are getting more and more each day.

Give it to me... with a can of new potatoes if you have extra

I am doing good with my Lipitor
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Give it to me... with a can of new potatoes if you have extra
I am doing good with my Lipitor
Old 09-23-2007, 08:24 AM   #13

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
I would try to not open Outlook Express, or your email program, instead go to your email on your ISP's site, and make sure the spam settings are activated, then start flagging spam there, before its downloaded to your computer. That might help!
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:49 AM   #14

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Chester,
When we were on dial-up we used to get tons of spam every day. Then, we made the decision to switch to a much faster system - our local cable company. It did cost more per month but besides being much faster, the spam was stopped cold. Our cable server eliminates probably 99 percent of incoming spam, the remainder consigned to a seperate location which can then be deleted by the user. As with any server, one should have an updated anti-virus program such as Norton.
Don
Donald Stahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:56 AM   #15

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
How do you folks get rid of spam? Is there a good program to use.
Chester

In addition to the other suggestions consider using one of the additional email addresses most ISP's provide and only give that out to people you know and trust. Then switch your email software to the new address.

Keep your original email address, checking in online periodically. If your ISP allows you to mark thinkgs as spam do so, if not let your online inbox overflow. Then all the spammers will get their messages bounced back. That will thwart the bot spammers as you may be deleted from their lists. The bounced messages will raise red flags to their ISP's as potential spammers as well. Don't publically post your email address anywhere, the bots will pick it up. If you do post your email anywhere be sure to munge it such that a human can decipher it, with an annotation in your sig line.

e;g;
my.TRASHemailaddress@myisp.com
Take out the TRASH before replying

@ some time in the future you can revert back to your main or original email address and your spam will be definately reduced.

FWIW both my ISP's and OUTLOOK'S spam filters are doing a very good job once they were set up properly. I went from 50-100 spam a day to maybe 1 a week that makes it through
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:58 AM   #16

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Chester,

This is the home version of what I have used for years on my corporate networks that I manage. Always been rated as one of the top.

Internet Security

It includes Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, and Spam filters. You can install on three home computers for the price.
We use this home version on wifes and children's puters and it works just as good as the corporate version.
I'll second Greg's suggestion on Trend Micro's product. I've had the same email address for 15 years, and it's been plastered all over the place. The sad result is that I get hundreds of junk emails every week, and Internet Security catches almost all of them. It's also a great anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-phishing program.

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 05:09 PM   #17

Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I use anti-spyware and virus programs, but spam blocking is done quite well with my free email account at Yahoo; I may have one or two to eliminate from my mail, but the Spam folder fills up all by itself I do help them with it by marking the ones that make it to my mail as spam so they can add to the filter system.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:41 PM   #18

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I would not want to "bounce back" to spammers - the bounce message confirms that although your mailbox is full, the address is legitimate, so they should keep using it. I believe that the best response to spam is no acknowledgment at all.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:15 PM   #19

Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Brian, I wasn't clear -- I do NOT bounce back to the sender for the reason you stated -- I report the spam to Yahoo, using the Spam tool provided for that purpose, and they use the reports to adjust their spam filters.

BTW, a new one just hit me today -- Instead of the usual African dictator's money, I was asked to launder the money of a plane crash victim... That scam is so old that my ex-father in law was getting them by actual mail from Africa back in the 1980's!!
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:54 PM   #20

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
BTW, a new one just hit me today -- Instead of the usual African dictator's money, I was asked to launder the money of a plane crash victim... That scam is so old that my ex-father in law was getting them by actual mail from Africa back in the 1980's!!
The ones that really upset me are the ads for male "enhancement" products that are sent to my teenaged daughter's account.
Laura K. is offline   Reply With Quote