Old 11-09-2009, 02:09 PM   #15

Name: Don
Trailer: Compact Hunter I
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
...Thanks for any resources that can be provided,

Melissa
Try this site - click on a state for listings or use their search engine.

Also, this book is good, but the above site may be more current than the book. (BTW, it's cheaper on Amazon).

FYI, I know from experience that you can park overnight in the city park in Douglas, WY -- when last I parked there it was free. They have toilets, but no other facilities, just parking space. It's close to I25, just east of the fair grounds (north interstate exit).

A lot of towns in Texas have city parks where it's free or very cheap to park overnight, most without facilities, but some have water and even electric hookups.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:54 PM   #16

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Thanks! I'll check ebay too. We're actually going to Sundance, WY up in the Northeast corner but it's good to know for future trips elsewhere in the state about camping in Douglas.

Quote:
Try this site - click on a state for listings or use their search engine.

Also, this book is good, but the above site may be more current than the book. (BTW, it's cheaper on Amazon).

FYI, I know from experience that you can park overnight in the city park in Douglas, WY -- when last I parked there it was free. They have toilets, but no other facilities, just parking space. It's close to I25, just east of the fair grounds (north interstate exit).

A lot of towns in Texas have city parks where it's free or very cheap to park overnight, most without facilities, but some have water and even electric hookups.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:26 PM   #17

Trailer: 1973 Compact II
Melissa,
Online is where I do all my trip planning by going to the federal lands sites usually such as Army Corps of Engineers, National Parks, National Forests, and BLM.

Once you have decided the route you are going to take which means you know the states you'll be in, you easily can find maps of various federal camping places for the states including links to individual places.

Out west I was used to paying for showers, etc. but in Arkansas and Missouri, hot showers free in clean surroundings. I've stayed in several federal places in both these states and have been absolutely happy with them. A couple of times, I had no reservation and stopped at manned rest center where the desk person made phone calls to find me a place and gave me an Arkansas or other camping book - free.

Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas and Mississippi all have federal camping places easily found online. Once or twice when desperate, stayed all night at pull out spot meant for big trucks - no problems. Louisiana where I live has some federal spots but camping here needs to be checked online for state and federal since there is usually hurricane damage in some places and they may be closed.

One thing I have done when all else failed in planning is to type into Google the name or number of the Interstate, state name and the word "camping". There's also online maps of Interstate rest stops where maps and camping spots can be gotten.

Really, this can be done online without buying a lot of books which clutter up your car. I print out the name of the park/site with location and directions and put it in one folder and then add to it as I complete the planning. As I use up the sheets going along on the trip, throw the sheet away or just put in back of stack. If there is a particularly daunting giant intersection of freeways and interstates I have to go through, I print a closeup of that to guide me and put it in the stack. The worse thing for me is pulling a trailer through huge stuff like that since I can't quickly change lanes - particularly if a lot of traffic. I try to stay on smaller roads and go around the cities.

Good luck
Pat
Old 11-09-2009, 05:24 PM   #18

Name: lee
Trailer: trailswest campsterl, 1996 Scamp 16 foot
Idaho
Melissa Just an addition to my previous info about finding campgrounds, I didn't think about this until after I had signed off yesterday. About 10 years ago we stayed at a campground at Abiquiu Resevoir in New Mexico and learned that it is under the management of the Corps of Engineers. The campground was really nice and nicely kept up. We have stayed at a couple more Corps of Engineers campgrounds since and they have been affordable and provided most of the amenities we needed i.e. electric, water, restrooms and showers ( obviously no cable tv of wi-fi ). I went on the internet today and found that if you google corps of engineers campground guide you will find a United States guide to their campgrounds available for about $15.00 plus postage. I intend to order one ASAP. We don't use Corps of Engineers campgrounds often ( they are mostly at dam sites, lakes etc. ) which are ofter a little, to a lot, off the beaten path and we are more mountain campers than lake folk. In any case this could be an additional resource for finding campgrounds. Lee
Old 11-09-2009, 06:00 PM   #19

Name: Don
Trailer: Compact Hunter I
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
...We have stayed at a couple more Corps of Engineers campgrounds...
Speaking of which, one of these is Hasty Campground at John Martin Reservoir in southeast Colorado. I stopped overnight there one Feb, on my way to and from Texas. There were no attendants collecting any fees, but the water & electric hookups were open. I think this is normal during the winter months, but not sure. This one might be on your way, depending on your route.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:59 PM   #20

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Good to know the types of amenitites at the COE campsites as we are not fully self contained. Some time in the future we'd like to be as close to it as you can be not having a bathroom but at this point we're not. Thanks for the Guide, I didnt know they published a campground guide, that's cool.

Quote:
Melissa Just an addition to my previous info about finding campgrounds, I didn't think about this until after I had signed off yesterday. About 10 years ago we stayed at a campground at Abiquiu Resevoir in New Mexico and learned that it is under the management of the Corps of Engineers. The campground was really nice and nicely kept up. We have stayed at a couple more Corps of Engineers campgrounds since and they have been affordable and provided most of the amenities we needed i.e. electric, water, restrooms and showers ( obviously no cable tv of wi-fi ). I went on the internet today and found that if you google corps of engineers campground guide you will find a United States guide to their campgrounds available for about $15.00 plus postage. I intend to order one ASAP. We don't use Corps of Engineers campgrounds often ( they are mostly at dam sites, lakes etc. ) which are ofter a little, to a lot, off the beaten path and we are more mountain campers than lake folk. In any case this could be an additional resource for finding campgrounds. Lee
Old 11-11-2009, 06:15 AM   #21

Name: Lyndon
Trailer: 1996 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel ('TOGETHERNEST' SLEEPS 8
Minnesota
The very best was by DeLorm years ago .They used the triple a information It was called MAP&GO but they saw fit to part ways with AAA and the info now is quite out dated but I still use it. Along with Microsoft and trailer life.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:35 AM   #22

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Lyndon,

I have to ask about your trailer name!

"TOGEATHERNEST"

I've been turning it over every which way in my mind, and I can't figure it out completely. I get "togetherness" and "nest," but what is the "A" in "TOGEATHER" for I have to know!

As you can imagine, when I see customized license plates, like IGO4LTR, I can't stop thinking about them until I figure them out!

Thanks,

Raya
Old 11-11-2009, 01:31 PM   #23

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Florida
Registry
We have S.L. Hinkle's book Camping with the Corps of Engineers. He has published several editions, and it's available in many camping stores and online through Amazon and bookstores.
Not all COE parks have a lot of facilities. For example, Cove Lake in Arkansas had no electric, a few fresh water outlets spotted around the cg, pit toilets, and the showers are at the swimming pavilion a good long drive away, but the sites are beautiful. In Missouri, we've stayed at Wappepolo and Pomme de Terre, in the primitive sections, but other sections had hookups available. Online, google army corps of engineers lakes gateway and you'll find a map and information of other locations.
I find the official state maps have more camping information than the AAA maps and Walmart atlases, so I collect them as we travel. I don't find AAA or Woodalls camping guides to be very helpful to us.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:35 PM   #24

Name: Lyndon
Trailer: 1996 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel ('TOGETHERNEST' SLEEPS 8
Minnesota

Lyndon,

I have to ask about your trailer name!

"TOGEATHERNEST"

I've been turning it over every which way in my mind, and I can't figure it out completely. I get "togetherness" and "nest," but what is the "A" in "TOGEATHER" for I have to know! :

Well ya see I am a machinist-Farmer not a speller and thats the way i thought it was
Old 11-13-2009, 11:47 AM   #25

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Well there's my answer! Thanks

Maybe you're from Albert Lea? If so, there's a plausible reason for the "EA"

(Native Minnesotan here; missing my home state)