How do you not become a stalker - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2007, 04:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Burro
If I go home from work the long way I pass a farm house with a Scamp 5th wheel. I drove by yesterday the Scamp was gone in its place is a new Castia. I am trying to figure out how to approach them to tell the of our wonderful site and invite the to the East coast rally. I don't want to seem like a weirdo or at least not a dangerous weirdo. Do we have an intro page I can print out and place in their mail box? They are not outside when I drive by.
Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 04:48 PM   #2
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Well, there is the home page. I don't know how well it would print... (all that blue background).

I know, I know; could you make yourself some calling cards (like business cards)?
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 05:56 PM   #3

Trailer: Quantum-5 5th Wheel 1980
Taylor

Whats wrong with knocking on the door? Some of the best deals I ever got were things I saw that had no sign or any indication that they might sell. These people might be thrilled to find out about the forum if they don't know about it already. If you had knocked on the door before the Scamp was gone, you might have had a good deal on a 5er.

Ron
Ron Wrighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:02 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler 1300 1977 (#2033 L EGGO)
Quote:
I know, I know; could you make yourself some calling cards (like business cards)?

Two donations ago I received an acknowledgement and an unexpected half-dozen cute calling cards (which I am not capable of reproducing) with our FGRV avatar and a message "Join us on the Net". They were quickly used up, as propositioned above.

With this year's donation I asked for 8 or 10 more -- nothing came! Do "we" no longer produce them, and/or could something like this be used as a small incentive/reward to encourage contributions to FGRV?
Des Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:21 PM   #5

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Just go knock on the door! Explain that you, too, are an FGRV owner and hand them our URL!

I've had a number of folks just drop in to look, and have actually had a number of calls from folks all over the country just to ask questions. It's pretty amazing.

They won't think you're any more nuts than they are...

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:38 PM   #6

Trailer: 1973 Compact II / 2001 Honda CRV SE automatic
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
I agree with some of the other folks, nothing wrong with knocking on the door & saying hello, though a print out of the homepage or something might be a nice thing to have.
Personally I'm one of those guys that, after driving by your house several times and seeing something dusty/abandoned in the corner of your yard, will knock on your door and ask if you want to sell it. Worst case scenario I've been told 'no', no one has ever chased me off their porch with a gun, or sicked the attack dogs on me or anything...hehe
Worst case scenario in this situation, there might be no answer, or they'd probably just take the page from you, and you'd never hear from them again. What's the harm in that?
Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:40 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
Worst case scenario in this situation, ... you'd never hear from them again.
It seems like such a long time ago...
We were finally underway on the first leg of our trip to the Oregon Gathering, I think. Hitching up had taken much longer than I had anticipated. I racked my brain trying to think of items we may have forgotten as we toodled up the broad avenue toward the freeway on-ramp. Suddenly, in the lane beside me, was a woman in a white Astro honking the horn and gesticulating wildly. I lowered my window, as she did hers, and she shouted, "[b]FIBER STREAM!!! oh my gawd, another Fiber Stream!!! I haven't seen another since I bought mine!!!

I said that I'd pull over, and in her excitement, she ran the red light in order to park at the curb ahead. I pulled up behind her, parked, and we both got out to talk. She lived in the housing developement up on the ridge, not even 1/2 mile from where I store my trailer. She said that she stored hers at her next door neighbor's house, who were good friends, as she did not have room. I related that we were just starting out on our trip to meet up with other molded fiberglass trailer owners up in Oregon. I didn't find anything to write on, but I pointed out the FGRV stickers on the trailer. I said that I'd look her up once we got home.

One day, after being home for a while, I did drive through the tract on the ridge, L King for her Fiber Stream. I found it parked on a pad that looked to be made especially for it, like a raised stage in a dealer's showroom. I knocked on the door, and asked for her by name. The older woman there said that she was out for the afternoon. I related the story of our earlier meeting, and the woman and I settled in for a nice chat while I wrote out all of my contact information, as well as www.fiberglassRV.com. The special parking pad had been for her and her husband's trailer, but they were now in their 80's and too old for towing, so they sold it, and allowed their friend and neighbor, who is like a daughter to them, to park her's there. She reminisced about trips taken in years gon by...

When I handed the woman the paper with all the contact info on it, she asked me if i knew about our missing friend. When I said no, she told me that she was at the doctor's office, getting a 1st follow-up check after her very recent cancer surgery.
I said to have her contact me when she felt up to it.
Quote:
Worst case scenario in this situation, ... you'd [b]never hear from them again.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:29 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
This is a prime time to talk about printing up personal business cards. For those times you see trailers in campgrounds or see trailers parked somewhere or meet people in your travels.

I made up a business card, with little personal information. If I chose to share phone numbers or personal e-mail address, I print it on the back. But they can always get in touch with me here on the forums.

Be creative, take a pic of your trailer, print up a bunch and carry them with you...they're really helpful for breaking the ice!
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg  

3.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:38 PM   #9

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Oh! Oh!

Co-inky dink on this subject....my "new" 17 foot Burro came to me from me being bold enough to knock on a door.

I had seen this trailer a couple years ago, and knocked on the door just to hand the owner a card. He politely took it, we chatted a bit, and I was on my way.

I kept noticing this trailer never moved.. so, two weeks ago, I knocked on the door again and asked if he would sell it. He remembered me, and did not hesitate to say "Sure! XX dollars and it's yours!"

After I composed myself, I went inside the trailer, looked and told him he would have his cash.

We were both happy, and it came from having a little courage. I sold a car a few days before in similar circumstance.

Just do it! You'll never know what happens!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 08:36 AM   #10

Trailer: Boler 1984
What's wrong with knocking and asking? I've met a few new friends because they came to my door to see if I'd sell. That doesn't happen but I do try to help them find one if I can.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:31 AM   #11

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
I got my first fiberglass trailer the same way Gina got her Burro. I was passing a house in Anchorage on my way to work every day with an old Scamp 16 parked out front. I started to notice that it didn't seem to have been moved in a long time. One Saturday I took the same route on my bicycle and casually checked out the trailer license plate. It hadn't been renewed in three years.` When I knocked on the door, I met the sweetest 80-year old widow who was happy to negotiate a sale. Don't worry, I didn't take advantage of her. She demanded, and got, top dollar. As a bonus, I got her fabulous story of her family migrating to Alaska in the 1940's. Later, when I sold the Scamp and got a new Casita, she knocked on my door wanting to see the new trailer. She was a fine neighbor who I would not have met otherwise.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:22 AM   #12

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
Two donations ago I received an acknowledgement and an unexpected half-dozen cute calling cards (which I am not capable of reproducing) with our FGRV avatar and a message "Join us on the Net". They were quickly used up, as propositioned above.

With this year's donation I asked for 8 or 10 more -- nothing came! Do "we" no longer produce them, and/or could something like this be used as a small incentive/reward to encourage contributions to FGRV?
Sorry about that, I ran out of cards for a while. I tried to go back and send them, guess I missed you, sorry. I’ll send some out.

Sending a few business cards to hand out was just my little surprise, to people that send $25 or more support to the site, to say thank you.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 02:42 PM   #13

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Nice 'Vette/Casita image on the mock-up, Donna!

Can I assume, from Donna's example, that it is okay to use the FiberglassRV name and logo for this purpose on cards or similar items which we might produce ourselves?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 02:53 PM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:

Can I assume, from Donna's example, that it is okay to use the FiberglassRV name and logo for this purpose on cards or similar items which we might produce ourselves?
Yep, a business card I traded for...and yes, they do pull the Casita with the Vette. Can you even imagine going down the highway with the top down on the car and a gleaming white Casita behind. Talk about thumbs up!

I'll let Michael answer the question regarding the logo. He knew about mine before I printed them up. One of these days I'll have a good picture of my tug/tow and that will be the focus on the card. But right now, as a moderator of the forum, I'm really trying to generate traffic to the site
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 11:14 PM   #15

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:

The logo is copywrited. That said, I am happy to OK the use of my logo if you show it to me for approval.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 06:10 PM   #16

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Thanks, Mike. If I ever get organized enough to make up cards, I'll e-mail (or just post here in the forum) the design for approval.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 06:38 PM   #17

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Quote:
This is a prime time to talk about printing up personal business cards. For those times you see trailers in campgrounds or see trailers parked somewhere or meet people in your travels.

I made up a business card, with little personal information. If I chose to share phone numbers or personal e-mail address, I print it on the back. But they can always get in touch with me here on the forums.

Be creative, take a pic of your trailer, print up a bunch and carry them with you...they're really helpful for breaking the ice!
Larry and I both have personal business cards. His have pictures of our many (too many) cars on them. They come in very handy, they have cell phone # and email address on them. Real easy to make if you have the right program on your p.c
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 09:32 AM   #18

Quote:
Sorry about that, I ran out of cards for a while. I tried to go back and send them, guess I missed you, sorry. I’ll send some out.

Sending a few business cards to hand out was just my little surprise, to people that send $25 or more support to the site, to say thank you.

Thanks Mike,

Your shipment of new cards arrived today. New design; very professional looking; classy, wot? In a few weeks we will be wandering southward to meet Spring on its way north. Now we can spread the gospel of FiberglassRV.com in style. Thanks,

Des & Diane
Old 03-01-2007, 09:52 AM   #19

Trailer: 2007 Scamp 13 ft / 2005 Jeep Wrangler 6 cyl
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Scallan
Talking

I am in no way related to this web site, but I think you can get business cards for free on the web, I visited the site once and it was easy.I think you just go to "Free business cards.com or something like that.

LIFE IS GOOD !
Robert Scallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 08:34 AM   #20

Quote:
I am in no way related to this web site, but I think you can get business cards for free on the web, I visited the site once and it was easy.I think you just go to "Free business cards.com or something like that.
LIFE IS GOOD !
Robert, you missed the point! Mike Sanders is related to this web site (I think he is the Father).

The objective here is not to obtain calling cards, but to make voluntary contributions that will help Mike defray costs associated with running and further developing this free site. The FGRV cards (inviting other egg owners to join in the fun) is his way of saying thanks to financial supporters of his much appreciated initiative.

Des