How do you, or do you? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-05-2013, 10:39 PM   #61

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
The sqiggles were areas where they had been enjoying their Zinfandel!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:21 AM   #62

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
As a parent of five kids, all of whom we travel with, I think I can safely say the best laid plans often go astray. The last two trailer expeditions we embarked on required the unplanned replacement of the fuel pump. Each time in pretty much the middle of nowhere, (sorry Wawa, and Creston). We had stopped at Wawa in every previous trip to my dad's place on Manitoulin. The big goose was a hit with the kids. The Tim's is just off the highway. Well, our Astro van's fuel pump stopped turning in the parking lot. So after Tim's, the van refused to start. A guy pulled up behind us, he must have seen me try to crank it endlessly. He leaned out his window and said, “Fuel pump”. We called AMA, and a flat bed tow truck pulled up. And as they loaded my van and family up on the back of the truck, the scene was lit up with lightning bolts flashing across the sky. The fact that this was completely illegal did not escape me, or, (I later learned) my entire family in the van. I road in the cab with the driver. When he pulled up behind the police, in front of the hotel, I am told that the kids all hid on the floor. One of my kids commented later that she was surprised how normal this all seemed. Wawa is a popular place for the government to evacuate people to. There was a forest fire somewhere, and most of the hotels were full. We ended up staying at the most expensive hotel in town, the Lakeview a whole $130 a night, but they only had one room. The room was on the second floor at the very back, above the bar. To get to our room, we either went through the bar, or up the fire escape door, which our key worked in. It had started to rain, we got the kids into the room, with my wife. Then my oldest son, (16 at the time) and I proceeded to carry two of the 108L Rubber maid containers on the back of the van, and the rest of the suit cases, up to the room. The rain meanwhile, had turned into a torrential flood. The roof of the hotel slopes toward the fire escape. Normally, I'm sure that the gutter catches the rain, but on this night, it overflowed like a waterfall on the two of us. I mean, there were moments I was afraid I would be washed away. In Calgary, due to the low humidity, this would have been a cold experience, but because the humidity was so very high, we were quite warm. In fact, with the all the stairs, I was still kinda hot after the workout. I have never experienced anything like that. It was the next year that Wawa flooded, so I guess they get some big rain.
Wawa, Ont. storm causes $10-million in damage; rain closes Highway 17 | Canada | News | National Post
In all, we were there for less then 24 hrs. The next day we were not sure if the part was coming, so we paid half rate to check out at 6:00pm, after the part did show, and they got it installed. The posted rate at the local GM dealership was sixty something an hour. I almost kissed the guy. In Calgary, $120 an hour is about as good as you can find. So, about $1300 lighter in cash then planned, we were back on the road.
Months later, I methodically cornered each of the kids and asked them what their favorite part of the trip was, two of them said Wawa. We still start out with a plan.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:39 AM   #63

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Great story.
Our plan was to camp in a tent with two 10-year-old girls. In fact we were well settled in on a lake in a cherry orchard when the wind began to blow. Lawn chairs were shooting across the campground like tumbleweed. The tarp I had tied with fist-size rocks in the corners as anchors, rather than using the grommets, let loose with one corner, a rock enclosed in poly-fabric, slamming into the windshield of the Subaru. The kids were sobbing as we threw everything we owned into the tent and abandoned camp. Checked into a hotel in a nearby town with a restaurant ( chicken fingers and fries ) and indoor pool. Kids were in heaven.
News reports the next day were of several swamped sail boats and destruction. The neighbor's brand new tent was in shreds, the aluminum poles bent like pretzels.
Somehow we got everything loaded back in and on top of that Subaru wagon and headed home after the best camping trip ever.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #64

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Map Reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
I have to go back and pay better attention to those off colored lines.
Do you mean oft-colored, Steve? No off-color allowed. The moderators won't like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Purple= Places where we argued so much about the route that my Husband's face turned that color.

Green= Ptomaine Alley: Diners so bad even the dog got sick.

Yellow= Really scary roads/wildlife/people (Canadians- and even scarier types )

Good times!

Francesca
Thanks for the warning, Francesca. We'll be out that way this summer, so I'm glad for the warning!
Now, if I can just figure out which way is N!
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:31 PM   #65

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
I've just spent six hours mapping out state parks across arkansas, mississippi, alabama, georgia, and south carolina. My sit down is getting tired. I've also made a list of Wally worlds on the same path. Wonder if I need to list the Flying J's along the way? lol. Wish I could find listings of those stations that do NOT have ethynol.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:46 PM   #66

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lora View Post
Do you mean oft-colored, Steve? No off-color allowed. The moderators won't like it.

Thanks for the warning, Francesca. We'll be out that way this summer, so I'm glad for the warning!
Now, if I can just figure out which way is N!
I'm not so sure Frederick just the other day was bragging about "one night stands" on his trips to Oregon .
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:54 PM   #67

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Already covered- why do you think all early Trilliums have Ensolite-covered walls?

Francesca
Now I know why I love both my trailers, Ensolite! Thanks for the good laugh Francesca.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robn View Post
Microsoft Streets & Trips is a handy tool while traveling.
You can find previous versions including the GPS for cheap. It comes with a lot of tools to log gas mileage. You can preplan your routes with construction updates.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #68

NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Now I know why I love both my trailers, Ensolite! Thanks for the good laugh Francesca.

You can find previous versions including the GPS for cheap. It comes with a lot of tools to log gas mileage. You can preplan your routes with construction updates.
I'm going to do more checking, but I think I will spring for an older version.
I saw one for $15.00.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #69

NE Oklahoma
What do you guys and gals think of this?

Good Sam 2013 RV Travel Guide & Campground Directory - Good Sam Enterprises Llc 13RTG - Directories & Guides - Camping World
Old 03-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #70

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
I don't think much of it, actually. I have a 2005 so I figured it was time for an update and got the 2013. It isn't as good IMO. The 2005 had more info of a useful nature in the CG descriptions; the 2013 leaves a lot out and yet it's thicker and heavier. It's a real chunk!

Examples: I looked up the big CG in Grand Marais MN. The new edition no longer describes the amenities or the recreation opportunities, and it no longer includes the CG's email address.*Then I looked up NF CGs in Utah. Some time back I made note in the 2005 directory (hilighting) of the ones at higher elevations, which is great for escaping summer heat. The new directory omits those elevation numbers.

I suppose it's worth the low price they are charging if you don't have one already, but to someone who had an older edition I'd say save your money.

The online resources are just as good or better nowadays, making the paper directory's only advantage the fact that it's paper; in other words, navigating it is simply a matter of flipping pages, and no internet connection required.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #71

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
Frederick just the other day was bragging about "one night stands" on his trips to Oregon .
One night STOPS. Jeez I had to google the other phrase...
Old 03-07-2013, 10:20 PM   #72

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
Frederick, it's because you're old............................... like me
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:36 PM   #73

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
I've just spent six hours mapping out state parks across arkansas, mississippi, alabama, georgia, and south carolina. My sit down is getting tired. I've also made a list of Wally worlds on the same path. Wonder if I need to list the Flying J's along the way? lol. Wish I could find listings of those stations that do NOT have ethynol.

I know there are lots of Great state parks in Arkansas...DD lives there so we have been to many of them...you will enjoy them a lot. Which ones are you looking at? Have also been to a few of the Flying J's/Loves and have found them nice too. I would suggest that you get a Flying J rewards card ( myrewards.pilotflyingj.com) I just got one for RV customers,have not used it yet,but it looks like some good deals.Was on a trip with DD last week end she has one for cars and saved some on gas & goodies & got a free cup of coffee.The rv savings looks real good.

Are there even any stations that do NOT have ethynol? Don't like it,but that is all our local stations have.

Happy Camping
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:19 AM   #74

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
We know that, Just having a little fun at your expense
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #75

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I just received my 2013 copy of the Good Sam RV Travel Guide & Campground Directory. It states that it is "Driven" (what ever that means) by Trailer Life & Woodalls. I've used Woodalls in the past (and still do since AAA got rid of their campground books and replaced than with section versions of Woodalls) and my problem among others is the Woodalls does not give campground addresses, just directions from the nearest interstate. Since I avoid interstates, it was a pain to find some campgrounds.

I noticed in the Good Sam version there are addresses for most of the campgrounds, and GPS coordinates for many, an improvement. Still, it is a huge book, filled with ads, and not all that easy to use. I still prefer a couple of iPhone apps - AllStays Camp & RV and CampWhere for public campgrounds.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:02 AM   #76

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I've got the Trailer Life tome and have seen the Good Sam version. My conclusion is that someone is missing a heck of an opportunity to make a good laptop or iPad based version. With a GPS attachment like the Streets and Trips packet comes with, you could make it searchable by current location or another specified location, and the amount of information about each campground could be virtually unlimited - all with no internet connection.

Carrying around a 10 pound book in this day and age is ridiculous.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #77

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Tom, I have used Allstays Camp and RV on my phone. Pretty good, especially in the US, but with an expanding database.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #78

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Tom, I have used Allstays Camp and RV on my phone. Pretty good, especially in the US, but with an expanding database.

Jim, Does it work with no internet connection?
Old 03-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #79

NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I don't think much of it, actually. I have a 2005 so I figured it was time for an update and got the 2013. It isn't as good IMO. The 2005 had more info of a useful nature in the CG descriptions; the 2013 leaves a lot out and yet it's thicker and heavier. It's a real chunk!

Examples: I looked up the big CG in Grand Marais MN. The new edition no longer describes the amenities or the recreation opportunities, and it no longer includes the CG's email address.*Then I looked up NF CGs in Utah. Some time back I made note in the 2005 directory (hilighting) of the ones at higher elevations, which is great for escaping summer heat. The new directory omits those elevation numbers.

I suppose it's worth the low price they are charging if you don't have one already, but to someone who had an older edition I'd say save your money.

The online resources are just as good or better nowadays, making the paper directory's only advantage the fact that it's paper; in other words, navigating it is simply a matter of flipping pages, and no internet connection required.
Thanks Mike, that was what I wanted to know. Another said it was full of ads. I really hate pubs you pay for that are full of ads. There can be a use for it, but I don't pay for ads. Anything full of ads should be a give away. And the weight can be a big factor when you think about what that extra weight could be in camping gear.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #80

NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Musgrave View Post
I know there are lots of Great state parks in Arkansas...DD lives there so we have been to many of them...you will enjoy them a lot. Which ones are you looking at? Have also been to a few of the Flying J's/Loves and have found them nice too. I would suggest that you get a Flying J rewards card ( myrewards.pilotflyingj.com) I just got one for RV customers,have not used it yet,but it looks like some good deals.Was on a trip with DD last week end she has one for cars and saved some on gas & goodies & got a free cup of coffee.The rv savings looks real good.

Are there even any stations that do NOT have ethynol? Don't like it,but that is all our local stations have.

Happy Camping
I've been plotting the parks along the I-40 route.
Lake Fort Smith SP, Lake Dardanelle SP, Mt. Nebo SP, Mississippi River SP,
Petit Jean SP, Village Creek SP.

Locally, I know of 3 or 4 locations that only sell PURE gasoline.
They are all Sinclair stations, but once you get east of Arkansas there aren't any.