How do you rate PRIVATE campgrounds? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

View Poll Results: Ammenity Value in PRIVATE parks ~ Whats important to you?
Must have body of water onsite or within walking distance (Beach, Lake, River) Nearby 9 15.52%
Vegitation (Trees etc) 8 13.79%
Rugged Area (Mountains, Desert, Cliffs) 0 0%
Nearby Hiking 1 1.72%
Nearby Other Sports (Boating, Hunting, Fishing, ATV, Biking) 0 0%
Farming, Ranching area 0 0%
Close to Urban Ammenities (Shopping etc) 0 0%
Remote area (Nothing available .. don't forget ciggies or beer&#33 6 10.34%
Proximity to Highways or Interstates 1 1.72%
Security 2 3.45%
Owner/Host Presence/visibility/Policing. 3 5.17%
Cleanliness 14 24.14%
General LOCATION, proximity to planned agenda (What ever that may be&#33 13 22.41%
Lack of Full-timers! 1 1.72%
Proximity to good Okra eatin! 0 0%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-2007, 09:19 AM   #15
Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
We generally avoid commercial campgrounds, using them mostly for overnight stops when there isn't a decent park in the area.

Our sole criterion is simpy instinct - we have traveled much of the world and learned to trust our senses when it comes to places we stay . General condition of the campground, the way it 'feels,' and the attitude of the host are much more important than 'amenities.'

jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 02:46 PM   #16
Trailer: Casita
Someone may have already responded but the number one thing I look for was not on the list.
If there are full time renters in the park I wont stay there.

ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 02:58 PM   #17
Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Hi Ron, it's on there now.. go ahead and vote your 3 choices!

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 03:07 PM   #18
Trailer: Boler 13 ft 1972
Hard to pick out specifics -- parks either have it or they don't, in my experience. Like Bullard's, but its missing cable and wifi, which is nice at night. Terrible's in Pahrump is pretty ideal, for my liking.

Some parks, the mosquitos hover outside the window waiting to eat us, but the park is otherwise lovely. Others have great settings, but are overpriced, dirty or something negative.

We haven't set up our rig for dry camping, as we like our electricity. So we're pretty much confined to rv parks and campgrounds with facilities. Should note that the state parks in most of Texas have all kinds of amenities, and many are located in pristine areas.

We're off on another back-east trip next week, heading along I40 and all the byways we can find on the way to Tennessee. I'll try to remember to take pix of the better places.

Maybe as a result of your poll, we could set up a new post of folks recommendations of parks, and what to expect there and why it was chosen.
Lance MacArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:54 PM   #19
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Some of the best days and nights were spent away from everything and everybody. Examples; Off a gravel road, behind some trees and brush. Could just barely be seen from the road. We did see 3 cars and 1 motorcycle go by. Another time; March, Eastern Oregon, no trees, a BLM campground with 1 camp site. Saw a number of cars, a few fisherman, and a few rubber rafts going down the Deschutes River. We were right on the bank.

It's interesting we've been in a number of State Parks and those are mostly a faded memory. Many of the NFS campgrounds have some nice memories. But the two above stand the most.
So I guess the "remote" is our prefered. We don't need anything else, not even level. That place behind the trees was not very level. BAL leveler was almost at max.

Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:39 AM   #20
Trailer: 1974 Ventura
Hello RonSmith100, Finding myself house poor in 1994 I chose to buy a travel trailer to live in. It's had it's advantages to moving three times since then, and now settling here since 1997. It was a great alternative lifestyle because I could just pick up and arrive in my new destination with just the power/sewer to connect. Where I am now my next door neighbor and I are employed with the hospital here working full time. The life style suits me just great as the rent is super reasonable and included are electricity, cablevision, water for $295 per mo. The spot I have is superb with a small yard I've fenced for my dog, an attached enclosed porch with wood stove, and my small washer/dryer. The winters can be very damp and cold because I am parked beside the river with the end of the ocean bay behind me. There are lots of things that I miss like a bathtub and space, but I like my freedom over living in a compartment (apartment).

Up until recently parked beside me were three reprobates with dumpy, gunky trailers and one motorhome. Outside their places were forty five gallon drums over flowing with beer cans. They really believed that the tourists and neighbors enjoyed listening to Patsy Cline full blast. Two years or more they lived there, and recently the caretaker had them moved up near the entrance. I agree with you that if I were a tourist that I would think about driving out again after seeing them. The caretaker confirmed that tourists have done just that. I hope Ron that I have given you two ways to look at permanents in trailer parks.
bonnie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:24 AM   #21
West Coast USA
Very well explained Bonnie.

I see most of you want to come into full amenities after roughing it by swimming among the trees but you really don't care if you have to trudge through the dirt to get there..

I ran across a national Poll of "RVers" thats a bit old, but so far, we, as egger's, seem to have slightly different ideas than they do about accommodation's and what we think is important enough to pay a premium for. Some, for basics, is identical. I will post that page after we get a few more votes.. (Science! Woo Hoo!) and see how we REALLY compare!
Old 08-07-2007, 02:42 PM   #22
Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
My answers closely followed the most popular choices so far in the poll. This, is suppose, makes me "normal"... it's a strange feeling, and one to which I am not accustomed.

I was a little hesitant in my answers because priorities vary from trip to trip, and even night to night, depending on the purpose of the trip or stay. For instance, I normally want natural surroundings, but have seriously considered a WalMart lot for one night when we just wanted to sleep for a while and get moving again.
1979 Boler B1700RGH, pulled by 2004 Toyota Sienna LE 2WD
Information is good. Lack of information is not so good, but misinformation is much worse. Check facts, and apply common sense liberally.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:47 PM   #23
Name: Anne
Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
If I'm just in transit, I don't really care - but that's about the only time I stay in private campgrounds - or, if there's nothing else available at my destination (outside a couple Nat Parks in Utah).
As with any place, I care most about privacy, natural surroundings, and pet-friendly. The fewer yahoos and children the better. Generally, clean showers and a laundry are very nice to have since I may be boondocking the rest of the time.
Anne H and Fay Wray, the cat | Portland, OR
en Plein Air (2016 19' Escape; 2016 Honda Pilot )
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:50 PM   #24
Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
We're new to this "camping" thing so you'll have to keep these comments in context. Also we're sailors ... meaning our other camper is a 38ft (fiberglass) sailboat that we cruise in the Bahamas over the winter ... yeah, yeah, tough work but somebody has to do it. Note that this means that we're used to being the only boat anchored off a pristine beach for days at a time or swimming up dinner off the back of the boat when the urge strikes. So far, camping has a way to go even if the Berkshires are cooler in summer.

To us, camping in campgrounds seems like tying up at a marina except on land there doesn't seem to be a reasonable alternative. On our boat last year, we stayed in a marina exactly one day out of 150 and that was so that we could conveniently clear customs entering the Bahamas.

Private campgrounds like KOA's seem cramped for space and although they have all the hook-ups, we prefer not to use our facilities except in emergencies so the hike to the head (that's toilet for you landlubbers) is important and most KOAs strike out in that regard even if they tend to be nicer and cleaner than many marinas we've stayed at. Also even though they advertise wireless internet, most charge for the privilege not unlike marinas, ... why bother? The rates are terrible too... $35/night ... jeez! They should provide free gas at those rates.

So far, Florida's State Parks beat the private campgrounds by a mile. Can't say for the other states or NPs ... FSPs have mainly fairly private sites in natural settings with water and electric but no sewer (except dump stations). I don't consider pull-through or back-in to be an issue with our Scamp. FSP rates are also cheaper than KOA's but still $18 or $20 per night seems excessive.

We're considering a camping trip out west next summer, maybe Colorado or Arizona ... Any recommendations?

By the way, in some ways it seems like we've screwed up this Federalism, Republic, States-rights thing. Take fishing licenses ... in the Bahamas, my customs fees cover fishing anywhere I go ... here, I need to pay-up separately in every state. How 'cum my Florida driver's license is good in Massachusetts?

Anyway, as somebody once said ...'beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy'
Capt Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:29 PM   #25
West Coast USA
Cleanliness is no surprise.. I seem to feel comfortable in clean surroundings, no matter WHAT the general area is like. Clean = secure.. to me anyway.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:16 PM   #26
Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot
I have stayed at a couple of private campgrounds where the main draw was access to natural surroundings such as hot springs, ocean view, river access or desert surroundings. Natural surroundings are the biggest draw but accessibility, privacy and pet friendliness also weigh in. I prefer places where the general location is conducive to my other plans, where the campground is clean and it's a bonus if it is remote or has natural features such as trees, ocean, desert, canyons or a body of water nearby.

As others have mentioned, it makes a difference if the campground is a stopover, a place to stay while you are doing other activities (music festival...) or whether the campground itself is the main draw.

Charlene Urso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:56 PM   #27
Name: Karalyn
Trailer: Eggless for now but looking. currently own Amerilite 21 ft
what is WIFI?????
I have never stayed where cable was available, and that is not a priority, and I am not missing WIFI, as I don't know what it entails.
What is it (I am thinking some type of wireless)?
Money will buy a fine dog, but only kindness will make him wag his tail.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:07 PM   #28
Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
what is WIFI?????
I have never stayed where cable was available, and that is not a priority, and I am not missing WIFI, as I don't know what it entails.
What is it (I am thinking some type of wireless)?
It is a way for laptop computers to connect to the Internet.
Wi-Fi (or Wi-fi, WiFi, Wifi, wifi), short for "Wireless Fidelity", is a set of product compatibility standards for wireless local area networks (WLAN) based on the IEEE 802.11 specifications. New standards beyond the 802.11 specifications, such as 802.16(WiMAX), are currently in the works and offer many enhancements, anywhere from longer range to greater transfer speeds.

Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote