How far in a day ? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #15

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Me? On days that are just "Travel" daysI try to get 300 miles in daylight hours by leaving early in the morning and resting in the evening and getting a good nights sleep, usually at a WalMart or other similar venue.

But, I sure hope none of us are putting in 1000 mile days towning our little trailers. That comes out to over 16 hours of drving averaging 60 MPH, not counting gas and food stops.
Guess you didn't see my post Bob?

No trouble for me,I just want to get to Rallies with Floyd sooner!

What is the big deal? Is this the same as when we compare the Purity if the experience on any other topic?

Or am I being irresponsible for going farther than you might?

I have been an ambitious long distance driver for a long time and am slowing down some but when I need to be somewhere,sometimes I have a deadline too.

Also is everyone here really saying they drive 60mph in places where the limit is 70 or 75mph?

I am not.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #16

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Destination, time restraints, capabilities............there are many variables as to when or why one would want to drive long ways. Thankfully, today I have no place to go and all day to get there. So anything like that for me today would be from habits. I like to slow down most of the time and see what's there. It's more the journey than the destination these days.

I'm hoping in the near future that the restraining responsibilities will be less and less and we can go full-time or partial full-time. My trailer is sure looking lonely in it's garage as we can't get the timing or weather right. I'd like to visit all the parks state by state. Then there might be two nights or so in one, drive an hour, spend more time, drive three hours, more time......etc. etc.

BUT.................heading to designated "rallies," that would be cause to drive longer distances at a whack.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #17

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
BUT.................heading to designated "rallies," that would be cause to drive longer distances at a whack.
Why? I don't understand.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #18

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
If I were going to a rally a long way off, or not so far off, that would be my destination.
I would want to get there and get set up and start visiting. I could take a month to get
there, but with a rally at the other end I would be in anticipation mode.

These are personal preferences.............not a one deal fits all.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #19

Missouri
Obviously,that is all I am trying to say too.

It just seemed that you said you were in no hurry but then......so thanks for explaining.

Most of what we do is a matter of personal preference,to suggest any of us do it wrong is a little silly most of the time.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #20

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
Also is everyone here really saying they drive 60mph in places where the limit is 70 or 75mph?
Yes....even though cars can go 70 or 75 mph in California, vehicles pulling trailers are only supposed to 55 mph. I drive generally 60/62 when on those freeways. If you are pulling a trailer going that slow posted speed the Cops won't get you.

But if you are in a car they might pull you over for going to slow because you are supposed to keep up the speed of the traffic which actually could average out at maybe 80 mph and in car you'd be consider a hazardous driver for not keeping up. Kind of dumb, huh. I always say if that's the case why do we even have speed limits for cars. What if the general traffic is going 100 mph in a 75 mph posted area and you decide to stay at 75 mph. Guesswhat, they could pull you over for going to slow. It's so wonderful living in California.
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #21

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
I tend to start long trips at night. Florida and Colo. have both been common destinations over the years. Family visit/vacation of about 1200 miles each way to either one. Mostly interstate.

Come home from work, pack any last minute food items, sleep till 11:30 pm, shower and go. Hit some heavy traffic areas late enough or early enough to miss the worst traffic.

Snack often, don't really do meal breaks. Figure sitting in resturant and sitting in car not much different except one is getting me where I want to go. Besides find a full meal makes me start thinking of naps.

Wife is an early morning person and has picked up driving in the very early morning when traffic is lite so I can catch a nap after the first 5 hrs or so. Will pull into a truck stop if I'm feeling a need for a power nap to help keep me alert. And will generally stop at rest area between each fill up, potty break for dog or humans and chance to stretch legs.

I tend to like driving at night, can't see the deer (or that poor raccon) as easily but at night car lights are easier to see than cars in the daytime. Not going to miss headlights in blind spot. Less traffic on interstate. Would not be as inclined to do it on two lane highway, too many interesting things to see and more deer tip the balance against it.

That all said I don't think we want to do that in the future. Last trip to FLA. we spent a short night at a motel (no camper) to make it a two day trip. Trip before that it was a nap break at a truck stop in Tenn. Bones appreciated the bed and shower this last time.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #22

Missouri
It actually is illegal in 38 states or so to impede the flow of traffic in the left lane.
It is especially annoying when someone refuses to give up the left lane on principle or ignorance with several cars behind them too.

They also have the trailer slower rule in parts of Il. I know but most places I travel the different speed limits are not the rule so that is really what I was asking about.

There is even an organization of left lane rights people that I have been tempted to join at times.

I know when driving a lot of places slower than traffic I am being a menace and the cops will run you over too!

I am not suggesting anyone speed but it is important to keep up with the flow of traffic when allowed in my eye.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:52 PM   #23

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
If I only have 2-3 weeks free at a pop from work, and I want to get to Wyoming/Florida/etc from Philadelphia, then I try to bust it out on the drive to and from to maximize time at the destination.

So, solo travel I've done 800 miles in a day, and with help we might do 900 - at trailer speeds, it's hard to go a whole lot more than that without driving till midnight. I have crappy vision and after 4 or so hours of after-dark driving I'm pretty well done.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #24

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
I enjoy driving, and if needed can often do 1,200km in a day, and even more at times.

I aslo enjoy night driving, as already mentioned there are less vehicles, and the ones there are, are easy to spot. I also like driving in ugly weather too, kinda feel secure in the storm.

All that said, I do look forward to the day when I can afford the time to go at a lesser pace.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #25

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
1200 mile trip to Colo or Fla are both about 28 hrs trips at 62 mph with gas stops and short breaks or naps. With two drivers, even if one just provides navigation and relief driving so the other can take a nap for a couple of hours it goes pretty smooth.

When I was younger it was about the same 28 hrs solo but I did arrive pretty beat. Both wife and myself are just less inclined to push that hard any more but will still do the 600 mile legs of driving to keep it down to two days of travel. I figure it's the stopping that makes it a long day, not the driving. I generally enjoy the driving.

Bottom line is if your alert and feel like staying on the road then do so, if not, get some rest. It's your call if that should be 8 hrs sleep, a two hour nap while parked or just relief driver so you can get a break.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:23 PM   #26

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Me? On days that are just "Travel" daysI try to get 300 miles in daylight hours by leaving early in the morning and resting in the evening and getting a good nights sleep, usually at a WalMart or other similar venue.

But, I sure hope none of us are putting in 1000 mile days towning our little trailers. That comes out to over 16 hours of drving averaging 60 MPH, not counting gas and food stops.
I think the longest drive towing was my last trip south, 660 miles at 16. hours from the time I left home until I stopped for the night. I stopped at at least one maybe two times for about 1/2 hr. nap each along the way and for 3 meals. I felt just fine and alert, not sleepy. We stopped because I figured it was time and it was too far to next place we gab a few hours sleep.

I don't recommend it. Each person needs to decide what's safe and what isn't for them. Blanket, don't drive over this or that statements, are not necessarily a good thing either. It's best to know your own sleep habits and fatigue levels, that are to not ignore them.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #27

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
If I only have 2-3 weeks free at a pop from work, and I want to get to Wyoming/Florida/etc from Philadelphia, then I try to bust it out on the drive to and from to maximize time at the destination.

So, solo travel I've done 800 miles in a day, and with help we might do 900 - at trailer speeds, it's hard to go a whole lot more than that without driving till midnight. I have crappy vision and after 4 or so hours of after-dark driving I'm pretty well done.
Actually I'm trying to break that habit. Now that I have fewer time constraints from work, I'm trying to work out fewer time constraints from family. That way we can start to take more time to get to and from our travel destination.
I'm trying to think of fuel in more of a per diem basis, and turn the same number of gallons into more days in different places.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:58 PM   #28

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
Books On Tape! Or iPod as it were.
I only pick unabridged titles and usually am so engrossed in the book that the times does seem to fly right by.
I listened to a couple of books on a cross-country RV trip. Yes, it made the monotonous parts more enjoyable, but I found it far too easy to become too engrossed in the story to be driving with enough attention.

Following a story takes far more attention than, for instance, listening to music.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote