How Have Used Prices Been Holding? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2008, 11:51 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
I know some of you follow pretty closely the used trailer market, just curious how that market has been holding up.

Are prices remaining stable?

Time on the market the same or increasing?

I know 12 months ago you had to be on your toes to secure a used unit of your liking, they did not last long. I have not sensed we still have that "piranha" mentality.
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 02:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Of course it's hard to say for sure, but when I was shopping over the last few months, there certainly seemed to be people buying. Sometimes the same trailer I wanted <_<

I guessing that maybe there are two forces more-or-less cancelling each other out:

1) The economy is in bad shape, so people are buying less.
2) The economy is in bad shape and gas is getting more and more expensive (generally), so people with much larger RVs and trailers are moving "down" to more economical rigs, so people are buying more small fiberglass campers.

I think it would be hard to say whether used prices were going down (unless someone is a real eagle eye and also knows what each sold unit actually sold for (vs. asking price), but if they are I don't think it's by much.

That said, my experience is in the sub-$5000 end of the market. Perhaps it's different for more expensive units.

Another thing to consider is that it is now winter in much of the US and Canada, so that will slow things down some regardless.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 03:15 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler 1984
Traditionally, you will find that fiberglass trailers have always held their value much better than the stick built type. Now, with todays market and gas prices fluctuating so much, there is a glut of oversized RV's in peoples driveways with for sale signs on them. On the other hand these same people now want to downsize making our smaller units much more in demand. I think that prices will follow.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:42 PM   #4

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
I'm not seeing a tremendous decline in prices over the last 3 months, but what I am seeing is longer time on market to get them sold. Even the tremendous "deals" which used to get snapped up as soon as they are posted seem to be hanging around for a longer period of time, though they do sell. There have been a few postings in the last 45 days in the referral section that I've been surprised have lasted 30 days or more, but we are also in the slowest time of year to sell. If you're a buyer, now until March is usually where you'll find your best pricing.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:24 AM   #5

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500 Deluxe
Hi Paul,
I have been buying, restoring, and selling these little gems over the last 2 years. I 1st offered them with no bites here on this site. So no difference there. When I found real buyers, they came out of the wood work on Ebay Motors. That is where I have sold them. 2007 they sold higher then my "Reserve" price. 2008 I noticed that my reserve was barely being met or slightly over my reserve. The economic times have most certainly affected price, but not the interest. I hope that helps you.

Dave
"The Trillium King"
Dave Baston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:38 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I recently sold my friends 1990 Toyota Sunrader, and while it took longer to sell than we originally anticipated it did not go for much less than we had figured.

I really think the gas prices are making people reconsider bigger rigs and opting for smaller more fuel efficient vehicles. I also think that this will have an effect on the radius some people are willing to travel to "get away".

On the whole I think prices may be down as much as 20% in some cases but thats probably as far as it will go.
Chris Miller is offline   Reply With Quote