How I stole my own trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2014, 08:51 AM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
How I stole my own trailer

Last summer we had a massive hailstorm in the Black Hills. My Bigfoot survived pretty well considering. But the exposed part of the awing was hammered and there were some chips in the fiberglass on curved areas like the top of the fender skirt, door trim, and gravel guard. I used the trailer "as is" all summer then took it to an RV business with a body shop in October. My insurance company settled based on their estimate.

They had it parked on a back lot and five months later, it had not been moved. It sat exposed to one of our worst winters in years and last week was sinking into the mud during spring thaw. I called and visited frequently and got many lame excuses why the work wasn't getting done. Last week my insurance adjustor called them and was told that the trailer was in the shop getting fixed. I went and looked and found this not to be true. The shop foreman told me they hoped to get to it "by Easter".

I called some shops in Rapid City and found one with a fiberglass repair guy. I went to the original shop, hooked up my trailer and drove away in broad daylight. No one noticed. A week later, still no one has noticed. If they ever call to say my trailer is missing, I guess I will ask them who stole it. Obviously, security on their lot is somewhat lacking.

Meanwhile the new shop already has my trailer in a bay being worked on. And their estimate was $500 lower than the first one.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:59 AM   #2

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Great story. Sounds to me like a fine opportunity to bust chops big time when they do realize it's missing and call you.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:09 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Yep, give the first shop a call and tell them it's been sold and that you are coming over in an hour to pick it up and to please pull it out for you.

Personally, unless you made a "time available" deal, I'd give body shops "0" wait time beyond the 1st promise.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:01 AM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
would the first shop have the initials CW? :-P sounds like their Mode of Operations.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:45 AM   #5

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina D. View Post
would the first shop have the initials CW? :-P sounds like their Mode of Operations.
If you're referring to Camping World:

I think that company presently has no locations in the Dakotas, but if they did I'd recommend their service based on my own experience as well as that of some of my friends.

Also impressive so far as I'm concerned is their maintenance of a very public "complaint department" at the RV. website owned by the company. (Link)
They neither delete nor edit complaint threads posted, no matter how trivial, "unfair" or blatantly absurd they may be; all are acted on/responded to, and without excuses. Most resolutions take place behind the scenes, the Company never attempting to "spin" responses in its own defense. The transparency of that operation is, I think, unique in American business.

And based on my longtime readership of that forum, I disagree very strongly that the O.P.'s experience is in any way SOP at Camping World.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:35 PM   #6

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
Thanks for asking, but not Camping World. The nearest CW to me is in Denver about 400 miles away.

I live on the Wyoming side of the Black Hills and Rapid City, SD is about 65 miles away. The original shop that had my trailer was about 40 miles closer to home and has a decent FG guy. Locally owned and operated. They seemed to be busy working on ranchers' utility trailers all winter. I will refrain from naming names online.

The shop in Rapid City is exclusively an RV business.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:44 PM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Don't stop bugging them about getting to your trailer, or when (IF?) they notice it's missing they might suspect.....
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:32 PM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I suggest you let the adjuster know what you've done. They might have a bit of fun themselves calling to get an update on the progress.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote