How long can one "rest" at a rest stop? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-24-2014, 03:15 PM   #15

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
First search revealed 2,000,000 home burglaries are reported each year in the U.S. If you want to be paranoid maybe you could sleep better in a rest area!

Your on a roll today in the giggle department Floyd but not sure the rational on this one can be taken to seriously as the the majority of home burglaries take place during daylight hours & not when people are at home sleeping. At least the stats here in Canada suggest that.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 03:20 PM   #16

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
First of all, I'm not suggesting nor condoning breaking any laws. That said, has anyone ever been asked by authorities to leave an interstate or highway rest area for "resting" there too long? Signs might say something like "No overnight stays", but if it's a "rest" area, who is to say how much rest is enough rest and determine it's time for you to move on? Just curious if anyone has any experience, good or bad, with this, and it might be helpful to know in which state, just for reference....
I sleep in rest areas quit often and have never had any problem of any kind. Some states forbid it, and I avoid needing to sleep or purchase anything in those states (Idaho is one). I've seen signs posted for stay limits from 8 to 18 hours. One can always find a friendly truck stop or Walmart parking lot.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:32 PM   #17

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I wonder if they would call that a bad experience at a rest stop?
Well not as bad as I was about to make it. We had taken at least three small residential streets as shortcuts between Main St. and State St. because I had noticed they were following us and wanted to be sure. I did not mention that I moved furniture for a living back then and that was a very shall we say "compact" 185 lbs.

I'm pretty sure that rest area was the "other" time I was mistaken for a woman from behind. The one I'm sure of being when the waitress taking our drink order was standing behind me, she kept repeating "mam what will you have" while I paid no attention until the whole table was cracking up. When I turned around I'm pretty sure the mustache was a surprise. At least from the look on the waitresses face I'm pretty sure she was surprised.

Home burglary is a whole different situation. You know the neighborhood were you live, and in a general sense the level of risk, and how much security is appropriate to protect your home. Locally you also have a good idea of where to avoid because the area is sketchy. When traveling if not alert it is easy to put yourself in a risky situation without knowing it. There are rest areas on the way to northern Michigan that I'm sure would be fine, others close to some cities not so much.

Home burglary, rest area crime, campground theft, identity theft are all real risks one has to use reasonable precautions and judgment on how you deal with it.

BTW - having never slept in a rest area for more than a couple or three hour nap don't know at what point they move you on for overstaying. Mostly I use truck stops for the nap or even solid 8 hrs. Not having to make coffee when I wake up is all I need to pick between the two.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:11 AM   #18

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
I used to sleep in rest stops on the interstate in my Chevy Astro van. I would try to park close to the street lights and I always covered the windows including the windshield. Never had a problem. Covering the windows always made me feel out of sight, out of mind. Also that retired truck driver that said to park at least 50 miles out from cities is good advice.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:15 PM   #19

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
I just have my naive trust. Came in handy hitch hiking between Calgary and Toronto, five times. Lets just say that I have chosen a very risky path in my life. It's not that I have never suffered consequences for my choices. I most definitely have. But, I have also had some great adventures.

So far so good, but the day is young.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:40 PM   #20
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
I take it you don't camp too much in Canada. Or Mexico.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 11-25-2014, 01:43 PM   #21

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Registry
[QUOTE=CPW;493709]I take it you don't camp too much in Canada. Or Mexico.

You are correct sir!
Old 11-25-2014, 08:44 PM   #22
Administrator

Name: Janet
Trailer: Argosy
Washington
Registry
Moderator moment:

Folks - a number of posts have been removed from this thread because they ran afoul of our community rules regarding discussions about weaponry. FGRV isn't a gun rights debate venue. Let's focus on the things we have in common - Fiberglass trailers and leave the other stuff at the door please. This thread is about how long you can stay at a rest area and all pertinent discussion is welcome.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:24 PM   #23

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Stay limits in rest areas.

Everything you wanted to know about rest areas but were afraid to google.

The above link and links within that article should tell you all there is to know about staying in rest areas.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:18 AM   #24
CPW

Flori-duh!
Registry
How long can one "rest" at a rest stop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Everything you wanted to know about rest areas but were afraid to google.

The above link and links within that article should tell you all there is to know about staying in rest areas.

Link doesn't work, Byron. Get "no such URL" message, at least on the iPhone. Do you have another link?

Old 11-26-2014, 08:14 AM   #25

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
There were too many "lls," in the html. Try this: Rest Stops

Remember too, this is coming from a private party, not from any official site. Use the information at your own risk. Remember everything on the WWW is true

As the site owner says "All tips and advice on this web site are purely the personal opinion of the author who assumes no responsibility or liability for any consequences resulting from following said advice."
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:51 AM   #26
CPW

Flori-duh!
Registry
Right you are, Donna. Thanks. I was curious because I didn't think I had ever seen that particular website.

You mean everything you read on the web isn't true? I'm shocked! :LOL

Old 11-26-2014, 08:59 AM   #27

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
...You mean everything you read on the web isn't true? I'm shocked! :LOL
Is this true?

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:05 AM   #28
CPW

Flori-duh!
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
Is this true?

Before I answer, you will need to define "true!"