How long can you go?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-29-2006, 09:31 AM   #1

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft / Dodge V-6 PU
Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a 13 or 16 foot casita or similar. I like the style and light weight, needed as my Dodge PU is a V-6, towing capacity of just 3850#.

I'm basically a minimalistic guy and don't need much in the way of creature comforts. I've been camping, primitive to full hookups, on and off for 35 years.

I'll retire soon. Being single, I'd like to take some trips around the country. My first semi-planned loop will last about 35 days.

How long have YOU been out in your rig? After 30 days will I need a rubber room or another vacation to recoup? Or, is a 30 day stint doable?
drews60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 10:31 AM   #2

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Al V
About 30 days is as long as I care to stay out on the road. Weather is a big factor a week of rain and egg gets pretty small lol

Quote:
How long have YOU been out in your rig? After 30 days will I need a rubber room or another vacation to recoup? Or, is a 30 day stint doable?
Al V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 11:01 AM   #3

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
My wife and I considered the same question before we set out for a 30-day cross-country trip a few years ago. When we returned home she said: "I'd like to do that again; NOW would be good." She still remembers it as the best trip of her life. The trailer was an immense advantage over motel rooms and such.

I doubt I would be as thrilled about it if I were doing that solo. Even when taking short trips alone it has potential for getting boring for me. I think it depends more on personality type, attitude, creativity, and planning. I would guess that certain people would be ready for the loony bin after 30 days, others would emerge refreshed.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 11:54 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I've only been out for a week, but that has been limited by available time, rather than endurance in the egg. I have considered what the trailer would need to be like to be good for a long period, so here are my thoughts...

We have a 17' Boler, and have never tried a 13' trailer, but we chose the larger unit because in the showroom it just seemed to difficult to get around in the smaller trailers - mostly due to the awkward entrance to the dinette past the closet or kitchen counter. What might be tolerable for a few days would drive me nuts in a month, so I would want a really workable floorplan. Since the Dodge can handle one of the longer (16' to 17') trailers, I suggest seriously considering the extra size, even for one person.

Another factor would be the bed setup. Even a 13' usually has both a dinette (normally at the rear) and a couch/sofa/gaucho/whatever (at the other end); if one of them can be left set up as a bed, and the other for seating and table space, then the daily task of converting can be avoided. We convert the dinette to have a second bed, which you wouldn't need to do in our Boler, solo; in a week converting didn't really bother me, but I think it might after a month.

I suppose storage space is another factor, and that depends on lifestyle. If shopping frequently is practical, not a lot of supplies need to be carried; if you're okay with going back and forth to the truck for stuff then non-food storage isn't a big deal either. Someone who wants to be basically self-contained within the trailer might need a lot of storage space for a month.

In the end I think Per has a good point: it depends what you are doing with those days. If the trailer is just a sleeping space, then I suppose I could live with it indefinitely; if it was my whole world, even our 17' widebody trailer would start feeling pretty small.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 02:48 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita 17 ft 2004
18 days is my max in my 13' egg. I was alone except for Shelia, my camping and travel cat.. My egg does not have a bathroom just a portapottie and it is set up for a perment big bed in the back. The front is converted bunkbeds, now a two person dinette or it can be a twin bed.

I did not feel cramped and actually missed the easy cooking, cleaning way of "egg life" when I got home to a big house. I had TV, radio and cat to keep me company and I always meet and talk to people on my trips.

I am not a clothes hog and just carried four big meals at a time before I stopped at a Walley World to stock up. You can wash out clothes and hang to dry or visit a laundry that are at most camping places.

I honestly think I could stay out much longer but the hubby says no. I have considered bigger (16' or 17') with a bath and the extras but I always go back to the reason I got my egg in the first place. Easy to tow, no fuss 5-10 minutes and I am in the bed or ready to do something, no tanks to have to worry with dumping. I get just what I wanted by having a wonderful work free time to enjoy camping and traveling.

I have an ext cab Tocoma Pickup Truck and all that travels in the truck are me and cat Shelia and a cat box of course. My egg carries all I need.

Like others have said, it really just depends on what you like and need. If you are a 1965 "flower child" and used to traveling light a 13' will probably work. On the other hand, if you are like a lot of folks I see camping today, get the biggest you can and if that is not big enough, dragg a trailer behind the camper.

I will go to my room now.
Attached Thumbnails
Shelia_Shaking_rock_06_1.jpg  
Susan Tiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 04:06 PM   #6

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Some folks full time in them but we would need more if fulltiming. We have been out for up to 8 weeks this year and 3 years ago we were out for 6 weeks. I like being on the go every couple of days which I guess classifies me as a sightseer as opposed to being a camper and some folks like to stay in one place for a period of time which make them a camper (I guess). Either way its nice to have a dry place to camp at night in your own digs. I was kind of itching to get home after 6 weeks but after I was home for 2 days I was ready to go again, its kind of like having an itch but I don't know where to scratch. We are tossing around selling the house and Casita and getting something bigger and full timeing it for a couple of years as our biological clock is winding down and too darn much to see out there. I say all that to say this, if I were you I would go for the 16' for the simple reason that you asked the question so there is some doubt and you may get dissatisfied with the room in the 13' and the 16' would give you more stretching room on long trips and your truck has enough uuummff to handle either.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:52 PM   #7

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Pete?..

You seem the most experienced at long timing it in a 13..........
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 05:00 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi, Drews60 and congratulations on your impending retirement! You will have soooooo much fun as you travel.

As happy campers in a Scamp 13 ft, our answer is a resounding "AS LONG AS YOU LIKE!"
We spent 7 months last 'snowbird' season in our GeezerEgg, mostly around Quartzsite, AZ, but also in southern NM and SoCal. In such moderate climates, we are out 'n about most of the time (walking/reading/snoozing in the sun), it seems we are only in the trailer to catch a movie on our laptop or for dreamin'. We have sat out some rain/wind storms, but quarters always seem more cozy than tight.

Having enjoyed our winter so much, and with an eye on the ol' clock mentioned elsewhere, on the drive back home last spring, we decided to sell our home, horses & land in Elko, NV (mile high & COLD in winter) and get started seeing more of this wonderful country of ours. Friends & family said "oh, good - now that your house is sold, you can get a bigger rig - NOT! You see, the name for this Scamp should be "Alpha & Omega" cuz it is the first & the last for us. It meets all our needs, is delightfully easy to tow & set up/take down, and we meet curious new friends everywhere we take it. The weight concerns keep my 'packrat' tendencies in check ... something comes in, somethin' else goes OUT. We are still tracing a learning curve about full-timing in general, but as far as our 13ft rolling home is concerned, we have no worries.

Hope this is helpful. Wishing you safe journeys, happy trails and hope to see you down the road in the future - take care, L 'n D
Old 10-29-2006, 05:12 PM   #9

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via MSN to christineb
Well, we just got back from our 4 week adventure, going from Florence, OR to Jacksonville FL and parts in between. We've only had our trailer for just over a year, so this was the first really big adventure. We found no trouble tolerating the size of the trailer, we just got incredibly neat and tidy and started moving around each other automatically
We used everything from the shower, to the air conditioner, to the furnace......temperatures varied from 92 to 18F. We had to buy a new converter, then tires and finally.........we hit a deer and mashed our car, but the trailer was just fine! I guess the only part that continued to annoy my husband was taking down and putting up the bed. I really didn't think it was a big deal, but he's deteremined to get a 5th wheel Scamp. Sheesh, after we've put in flooring, hot water, upholstery, curtains,microwave, converter, tires. Over my dead body
Christine
christineb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 05:56 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Pete?..
You seem the most experienced at long timing it in a 13..........
It seems like he said it was an 8 year trip. Hmmm
Is that about right, Pete?
Old 10-29-2006, 06:55 PM   #11

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Seems to me that what your askin is kinda up to the individual and your own tastes.

The Trailer Goddess an myself don't go boon docking very often, maybe a weekend at best. All other trailer times we stay in fully equipped campgrounds, showers, flush toidys, etc.

We have been on the road for 35 days towing a soft top tent trailer going down the WA/OR/Cal coast to San Diego and back to B.C.

Seems as long as we can keep feeling clean and civil, time spent on the road (at least for us) doesn't seem to matter!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 07:49 PM   #12

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
...my Dodge PU is a V-6, towing capacity of just 3850#.

I'm basically a minimalistic guy...

I'll retire soon. Being single, I'd like to take some trips around the country.

[b]How long have YOU been out in your rig? After 30 days will I need a rubber room or another vacation to recoup? Or, is a 30 day stint doable?
FWIW
The longest amount of time we've been allowed (due to still working for a living) to travel in our trailer(s) has been 3 weeks. It's not enough. You'll be surprised how quickly time passes on the road.

I live in Southern California, and my father and most of my siblings live in Upstate New York. We have strong family ties. We grew up taking road trips, although we never "camped" as a family.

My partner and I have made the cross country drive 4 different ways:
1. Compact Pickup Truck / Camper "Shell" holding Tent & camping gear.
2. Geo Metro 3 cylinder 2 door hatchback / "budget" Motels & Restaraunts
3. Towing a minimalist 13' Fiberglass trailer (Compact Junior) behind (first) a "mid-sized" station wagon, (then) behind a Honda Odyssey minivan.
4. Towing a 16' fully self-contained Fiberglass trailer (Fiber Stream) behind the Honda Odyssey.

The biggest cause of rubber room necessity, or needing a Vacation from your Vacation, would be discomfort and/or frustration with your very existance while traveling. I would suggest making a list of all the things/experiences that would cause such discomfort and frustration. Think about why you've already decided to get an "egg". Then equip your equipment accordingly.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:18 PM   #13

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I did 2 weeks last year, with 2 Beagles, in horrible weather. Most of my time was spent IN the trailer when not driving.

I have spent the following months making the trailer more friendly for "living" in. I looked around at those annoyances Fred speaks of (With the trailer, not with any people) and re arranged accordingly.

I set the trailer up for quick occupation. I permanently installed all frequently used items so I didn't have to set stuff up. All other items went in waterproof tubs, in managable weghts. Those ride on the floor and can be quickly stowed outside or in the car.

The bed, is permanent. You need sleeping space, and living space. I converted my front guacho to a dinette, and dropped the bed for the last time. Now I have a place to stretch out in front of the tv at all times, and a space for work/eating or entertaining. Not like I have many parties in there tho

With the bed down, the dogs have more room, and stay out of my "Living" space.

I can be inside and dry within minutes. If more than an overnite stay is required, I still need to level, unhitch etc, but for those quick pull ins, this has made my life much better.

Try different arrangements each short trip you take before you head out for the big one. You'll find the combo that works best for you.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 08:19 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
It's up to the individual(s) concerned -- I went three years in my Jayco 16' before I found my Scamp 13' and then went another six years -- But there's a key element in FullTiming; you don't have something else waiting for you somewhere else, so you are not constantly making comparisons.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 08:49 PM   #15

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
My wife and I have taken 2- six week vacations in our 13' Boler and haven`t had cabin fever....or at least she never told me about it, and this summer was to be about 2-3 months but it never materialized ....so maybe next year we will have another long trip.....we move almost every day on the road , so possibly that`s why it seems that the time span doesn`t matter......the longest we`ve been out with our 17' was about 4 days and stayed in one spot......really prefered the 13' and move more often....also 95 % of the time we stay in elec. & water sites.....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 12:28 AM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
in our 16 ft egg we lasted 12 days just to small for two people to be in for any amount of time in our 26 ft sunline tt 30 days ran out of things to do were buying a new jayco 1206 pop up camper with a slide out dinett this spring and were going to see how long we can go in it..it has 2 queen size beds shower and toilet couch sink stove fridge and room to move around so we will see still looking for the perfect scamp 5er after the last one fell threw..some day i hope

Dan
Dan Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:10 AM   #17

Trailer: 1979 Trillium and 1989 Bigfoot (named 'Swanky')
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Donna R
Almost 5 years ago we (2 of us) spent 5 months travelling from Nova Scotia to Florida to Texas to California and back (and all points between) in our 15 foot Trillium.

Two weeks after we started (while in Florida), we rescued an abandoned mistreated dog from a state park that didn't allow dogs and was trying to catch it to "put it down".
The original idea was to find her a good home.
For the next 4 1/2 months all 3 of us travelled in the 15 foot Trillium
She, like us loves to travel as it turned out.
For all of us, it was 99% perfect. . Not too small as we spend lots of time outside.
We like our own cooking so that was fine. (no motels and very few eats out) Seeking out of the way places down small roads possible because of the rig. Convincing dawg that the bed was too small for 3 of us was a constant but we worked it out eventually.

And if we were to say anything about long time travel in a small rig ( with rising gas prices guarenteed)..... we can hardly wait to do it again....but for longer.
So when life allows us the possibility again, we will see you all on the road!
Donna, Lance, and Dixie Dawg
Donna R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:43 AM   #18

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft / Dodge V-6 PU

Don't stop writing. I'm really learning much from your replies. I like the idea of the fixed bed vs having to mess with it morning and night. That explains the pics with thick matresses.

I'm leaning towards the 13' model, less weight, lighter, no brakes (?), cheaper (?) and a model without a toilet. I think if I want to move up, I should have few problems unloading the 13'. They seem to sell FAST.

I plan on using good ol' KOA a lot, clean facilities, laundry, etc. My truck has a covered bed for storage of additional items.

Most of my trips will be two to four nights at a single location and then off to another. I'm using my aunt Connies approach to road trips and plan about 300 miles a day driving. Then put in to a spot on my agenda or just resting a night before moving on. I do believe constant movement, several stops in a week, will cut down on boredom.

Keep the info flowing. I love it.
drews60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:26 AM   #19

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Yes, how long can you last?
Attached Thumbnails
image014_2.jpg  
Alan #1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:33 AM   #20

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
The fixed bed was a given for us, so that after a strenuous hike to explore the area we visited we could plop down to get off our feet for a while. Messing with converting a setup would be an aggravation at that point.

The toilet issue has points both for and against. Ours came with it, and as older folks we appreciate it greatly because it is available without fuss at anytime and anywhere. No hunting for gas stations, etc. A porta-potti could serve the same purpose, of course. The shower which usually comes with it can be totally refreshing when used after a long day of traveling or exploring. Using KOA and the like for us is generally only done as a last resort, the more primitive and rustic the campground the better.

Our bed is very comfortable, and we learned early to beg off sleeping in the homes of friends and relatives we visit. Hard sometimes to convince them without causing irritation. On the long trip I mentioned we relented once for a couple of days. The bed was OK, but not ours, and we had two nights of virtually no sleep. The upside was that we have been able to use this as an example of why we always decline to take our hosts up on their gracious offers. They understand.

Holding tanks have limited size, so some planning is useful (tank gauges help) to avoid getting caught unprepared. Two propane tanks with automatic changeover valve keep propane levels from ever entering the anxiety zone.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote