How Many Burro 13's exist? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-04-2011, 08:27 PM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: Actively shopping for a project, again.
I should also mention that I had replaced all of the propane lines and triple checked all of the connections so I doubt it was a propane line. But the fridge was running on propane at the time.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:29 PM   #16

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Wow, that really is sad. Good to hear that there were no injuries.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:33 PM   #17

Thanks, eleven months later: Time to start a new project. Its hard to get these great little gems out of your mind once you have one. I spent the winter staring at a picture of the burro. I can't wait to start over, I really enjoyed fixing it up and can't wait to find another to make mine.

Mike
Old 07-05-2011, 08:09 AM   #18

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
I was a little surprised to see someone observing the large number of Burros that are available. It took me the better part of a year to find one that was available, affordable, and accessible. As it was, I ended up driving from Central VA to the Chicago area to finally get mine.

I read about Mike's fire with great interest as I am planning on using a tri-power fridge in mine as well. You mentioned that it was a used fridge unit, Mike... do you think that was the problem, since everything else seems to have been well and properly in place? Importantly, when you get your new Burro, will you be using a tri-power fridge in it as well?

My '83 has the original pump type sink, but just has holes where the original two burner stove and tri-power fridge formerly resided. For now I am more interested in the cooktop, and will probably use a cooler for perishables... I may even go to a built in refrigerator style cooler as my permanent installation, but I do like the idea of cold stuff while camping off the grid!

Froggie
Old 07-05-2011, 08:36 AM   #19
JMS

Name: Jim
Trailer: 1983 13 ft Burro
Registry
Alternatives

In our Burro, I installed a 1500 watt inverter and a battery in a battery box on the tongue. Inside I put a 4x4 gang box with 2 duplex receptacles in it. One duplex is powered by the inverter and the other by ac. When mobile I plug the fridge and the freezer into the inverter receptacles which are powered from the battery on the tongue which is powered from the tow vehicle. When plugged into ac, I disconnect the trailer from the tow vehicle and plug the fridge & freezer into the ac powered receptacles. This way you can use standard residential appliances and not have the propane problems, not to mention the cost savings in the appliances themselves. Just trying to give you an alternative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
I was a little surprised to see someone observing the large number of Burros that are available. It took me the better part of a year to find one that was available, affordable, and accessible. As it was, I ended up driving from Central VA to the Chicago area to finally get mine.

I read about Mike's fire with great interest as I am planning on using a tri-power fridge in mine as well. You mentioned that it was a used fridge unit, Mike... do you think that was the problem, since everything else seems to have been well and properly in place? Importantly, when you get your new Burro, will you be using a tri-power fridge in it as well?

My '83 has the original pump type sink, but just has holes where the original two burner stove and tri-power fridge formerly resided. For now I am more interested in the cooktop, and will probably use a cooler for perishables... I may even go to a built in refrigerator style cooler as my permanent installation, but I do like the idea of cold stuff while camping off the grid!

Froggie
Old 07-05-2011, 10:22 AM   #20

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
I was just wondering if anyone knows approx how many 13 ft Burro's were made? They sure seem to come up for sale way more than I would have expected.

Just Curios......
Maybe there would be a way to tell how many were made by comparing the vin numbers...
Old 08-18-2011, 09:49 PM   #21

Trailer: Burro&Bambi
Bought one today

I stumbled upon a 1982 Burro 2 days ago, looked at it today and about 20 minutes later it was mine. It has the icebox, stove, sink, hand water pump and water tank intact but it does need some work. Got it from someone who bought it 4 years ago and had never moved it since then. It is very green but will get a good cleaning over the weekend.

Have never owned a fiberglass trailer before but the body looks pretty good under that green. Don't know all that much about them or where to get stuff to fix it with but I hope to learn here about how to bring it back into shape. It has a couple cracked windows and I'm guessing that those can be repaired with regular glass. They will get the duct tape treatment before I tow it home to prevent any parts from falling out. It's within 4 miles of my house so hopefully the air will hold in the tires for the short ride.

Sources for parts and general repair stuff info appreciated!
Jane D.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:58 PM   #22

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane D. View Post
It's within 4 miles of my house so hopefully the air will hold in the tires for the short ride.
Jane D.
Good for you Jane

Owners have traveled miles and miles to find their rollin' home and here you found one just minutes from you.. too cool!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:14 PM   #23

Name: charles
Trailer: 1981 Burro
Colorado
Does anyone know where I can get parts for a Cat heater?I have one in my Burro and need a new solenoid.Thanks,Chaz
Old 08-18-2011, 10:32 PM   #24

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Hey Charles, welcome to FiberglassRV.. we're glad you found us. So... what model of Cat heater and BTW do you have pics of your 1981 Burro you'd like to share?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:06 AM   #25

Name: charles
Trailer: 1981 Burro
Colorado
Thanks for getting back to me.The "Cat" is a 6,000 BTU model which is all the info.I have on it other than it was made by thermal systems Inc. from Tumwater WA..Hooked it up to 110 and pretty sure I fried the solenoid.Can operate it manually but thats a drag when you have a thermostat.Any help would be appreciated.No photos yet.Thanks,Chaz
Old 08-20-2011, 12:18 PM   #26

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
We had a 1978 13' Burro prior to owning our UHaul VT. I think they were made a few years before 1978, too.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:20 PM   #27

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane D. View Post
I stumbled upon a 1982 Burro 2 days ago, looked at it today and about 20 minutes later it was mine.

Congrat's! Welcome to our world!

It is very green but will get a good cleaning over the weekend.
Green? Cute! Nothing wrong with green................

Jane D.

Again, Welcome glad you found us!
Old 09-09-2011, 09:14 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
You mentioned that it was a used fridge unit, Mike... do you think that was the problem, since everything else seems to have been well and properly in place? Importantly, when you get your new Burro, will you be using a tri-power fridge in it as well?

Sorry I have been away for quite a while. Yes I would install a three way fridge again. I have always had at least a two way, and have felt safe and comfortable. That said I would probably not purchase used, at least without know where it came from and how long it has been out of a camper. The most plausible explanation is that the fridge itself had a leak of some sort that went undetected.

The short answer to your questions is Yes. The search continues, and to Donna's point I have expanded the brands I would buy well beyond a Burro.

Mike

Tags
burro