How Many FGRV Have RVIA Certification? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-14-2013, 05:42 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
How Many FGRV Have RVIA Certification?

With some of the issues that I have seen come up, I was wondering how many of the FGRV have RVIA Certification? I am familiar with a manufacturer that had it and then dropped it only to go back to getting the certification. Though you might say that it doesn't matter, I know otherwise as far as what can be done or not with the units being manufactured. I know that they give a lot of guidance in both quality and safety issues. So, which units have RVIA Certification? I found a list of manufacturers and it looks like none of the FGRV manufacturers have the certification. I had not thought about RVIA until I saw a string of issues coming up.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:28 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Certification with RIVA means the manufacturer was compliant at the time of certification and willing to invest the money for the certification, testing and inspections. Not to be RIVA certified does not mean that a camping unit is not compliant to RIVA specifications. Could go eithor way.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #3

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
"RVIA" certification is for U.S. made RV's.

A trailer made in Canada probably wouldn't have/apply for "RVIA" certification specifically...in Canada such certification is provided by the CSA, a freestanding organization much like our "Underwriters Laboratory".

Here quoting from CSA site
Quote:
CSA certification programs for Recreational Vehicles give users the peace of mind of third party assurance that their certified vehicles (and the appliances and utilities inside) meet all applicable Canadian standards.
My old Trillium still has its CSA medallion, and I'd be surprised if those brands being made right now in Canada lacked that certification.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post

My old Trillium still has its CSA medallion, and I'd be surprised if those brands being made right now in Canada lacked that certification.

Francesca
Your old Canadian Trillium also has a RVIA certification.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:07 PM   #5

Registry
It does?

Well, I'm just as proud as I can be- glad to know that someone's paying more attention than I am!

Francesca
Old 05-14-2013, 12:24 PM   #6

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
It does?

Well, I'm just as proud as I can be- glad to know that someone's paying more attention than I am!

Francesca
A refresher:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post356753
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:40 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
...BUSTED!

A totally "geezer moment"...there it is, in my Very Own Words!

I'm tottering off to attend to my Attends now....

Francesca
Old 05-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #8
GPJ

Name: GP
Trailer: Looking
British Columbia
Quote:

A trailer made in Canada probably wouldn't have/apply for "RVIA" certification specifically...in Canada such certification is provided by the CSA, a freestanding organization much like our "Underwriters Laboratory".

Here quoting from CSA site

Francesca

You are correct. Canadian units must be certified as being compliant with the CSA Z240 standard at time of manufacture. This certification is generally provided by CSA or QAI (which are both certified to do the testing). Escape uses QAI.

The CSA Z240 standard is very, very similar to the NFPA 1192 standard and the standards agencies are working with industry groups to make them interchangeable. Both standards do not sit on their own, but incorporate various other electrical, plumbing and other standards, so there is a lot for a manufacturer to be aware of - and that's a good thing.

It seems that certification in the US is optional and to my knowledge, no US manufacturers of molded units are currently certified. Certification costs the manufacturer money and they are subject to initial and surprise inspections of units to ensure continued compliance. These manufacturers may or may not meet the RVIA certification to the NFPA 1192 standard levels, but no independent agency is attesting to same.

In the non-molded world, US manufacturers certify their units to the CSA standard if the unit is being sold in Canada (legal requirement) - there is usually an upcharge for this to pay for those slight differences in standards (a couple of things have to be done a different way). Similarly, Canadian companies selling in the US will get RVIA certification. If you look at the list of manufacturers with RVIA certified units on the RVIA site, you will see many Canadian names.

I like certification in that it provides an independent inspection to ensure compliance with well established safety standards. It doesn't help with fit and finish problems, but the basic safety is covered. It is however an additional cost that is ultimately passed on to the buyer.

Anyway, in BC (my current locale), the argument is mute - certification is a manufacturing requirement.
GPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:29 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPJ View Post

Anyway, in BC (my current locale), the argument is mute - certification is a manufacturing requirement.
I didn't know it's actually required in Canada. Funny that neither Outback nor Escape mentions the certification at their home pages-? Since they have to do it anyway, you'd think they'd put the label there or something. Good selling point, and all that...

Francesca
Old 05-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #10

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Well our 26 year old Bigfoot has a little plate right by the door that says it's RVIA certified, so at least it met whatever the standards were back in 1987!
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Yeah and with certification all bets are off once a trailer is delivered into an owners hands. We've seen almost immediate wacked out mods that if were done at the factory would tank any chance at certification.

Based on that, I'm not impressed with a manufacturers certification. I much prefer to talk to owners about their impression of towability, etc. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:50 PM   #12

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
With some of the issues that I have seen come up, I was wondering how many of the FGRV have RVIA Certification? I am familiar with a manufacturer that had it and then dropped it only to go back to getting the certification. Though you might say that it doesn't matter, I know otherwise as far as what can be done or not with the units being manufactured. I know that they give a lot of guidance in both quality and safety issues. So, which units have RVIA Certification? I found a list of manufacturers and it looks like none of the FGRV manufacturers have the certification. I had not thought about RVIA until I saw a string of issues coming up.
Check the archives, this has been hashed and rehashed.
It does matter to the tune of about $500 per trailer. You may say that it is worth the subscription price, well I know otherwise.
As I said before... if you want an RVIA certification badge for a 30 year old Scamp, you can get one for free from one of the thousands of 10 year old stickbuilts in the RV junkyard.
Do your home work, then if you don't trust the builder, buy one from a builder who bought a badge.They will of course pass on the unnecessary cost.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPJ View Post
I like certification in that it provides an independent inspection to ensure compliance with well established safety standards. It doesn't help with fit and finish problems, but the basic safety is covered. It is however an additional cost that is ultimately passed on to the buyer.

RVIA is not an independent organization, it is hardly more than a costly subscription sales gimmick.
As for the CSA, they lost the war back in 1865
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote