How many have a separate drinking water - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-24-2016, 10:33 AM   #15

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
I got one of these with my trailer (twelve years ago) haven't tried it yet though....

Old 04-24-2016, 10:37 AM   #16

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
PS..
I would also sanitize your portable water jugs from time to time. Just a few drops of pure (unscented) bleach is all it takes.

Old 04-24-2016, 11:08 AM   #17

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
We use a Camco water filter to fill the tank, and even when hooked up to City Water directly, and then a Britta filtered pitcher for our drinking water. We used to carry separate drinking water jugs, but when you spend months on the road, it becomes a hassle, and a storage problem. We never had a problem with drinking water this way.
Dave & Paula
Old 04-24-2016, 11:14 AM   #18

Name: Mike
Trailer: Trillium Jubilee
Nova Scotia
Registry
water tank

The water tank had been removed from our '79 Trillium Jubilee a number of years ago by the PO. The plastic tank would be nearing 40 years old and isn't something I would use for anything anyway. We carry a 5 gal water tank with tap. Set it on the edge of the picnic table and life is good. Colder water is in the fridge. When we rebuilt the counter I didn't bother drilling the additional hole for the manual pump faucet. The 'regular' one for city water connection is there for dishes when hookup is available and when not are done in a plastic sink tub filled from the aforementioned 5 gal tank.
I suppose if we really want an on board tank in future, we'll put a 5 gal tank under a seat storage unit and hook it up to a 12v windshield washer pump or something equally low flow and re-install a separate faucet.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:22 AM   #19

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
We continue to use a 2-1/2 gallon container we bought for tent camping years ago. It weighs about 21 pounds full, making it easier to handle than a larger container.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:43 AM   #20

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I always carried jugs when I tent camped and continued when I moved to the truck camper and now when I Scamp camp. Drinking/cooking water in jugs, just the way I camp I guess.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:50 AM   #21

Name: Tom
Trailer: Shopping
CO
Several mentioned using water filters. May I suggest that when you use a water filter, that you flush it out for a second or two when using it. The moist inside of water filters that have trapped the stuff they are supposed to trap can be a great place for bacteria to grow. Some of you may recall what pioneers in covered wagons kept in their water buckets. A silver quarter, and they always made sure it was from 1964 or before, because those are 90% silver. Silver has great antimicrobial properties. Two or three silver dimes should work, but I would never put a dollar bill in my water jug.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:09 PM   #22

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
Several mentioned using water filters. May I suggest that when you use a water filter, that you flush it out for a second or two when using it. The moist inside of water filters that have trapped the stuff they are supposed to trap can be a great place for bacteria to grow. Some of you may recall what pioneers in covered wagons kept in their water buckets. A silver quarter, and they always made sure it was from 1964 or before, because those are 90% silver. Silver has great antimicrobial properties. Two or three silver dimes should work, but I would never put a dollar bill in my water jug.
Hmmm, for covered wagons, wouldn't that be closer to 1864?
Old 04-24-2016, 12:52 PM   #23

Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Michigan
Good answers all. We also carry a few gallons of home water for drinking then refill when we get a campground with good tasting water. Also took Brita when we camped to California, just to make sure, comfort levels and all that when on the road.
Old 04-24-2016, 01:03 PM   #24

Name: Steve
Trailer: casita 17 SD
Pennsylvania
Water tanks

It is close to impossible to completely drain a water tank in any RV. I always install a deck plate in the top my water tanks. This allows me to access the inside of the tank to suck out any remaining water using a shop vac and to wipe the inside of the tank with a cloth. When I'm finished the cleaning and sanitizing, I wipe the tank dry and let it air out for an hour or so and then screw the deck plate back on.
I have installed 3 plates in three different trailers. It requires that you cut a 6" hole in the tank top. I have always bought used trailers and you would be amazed at the scum you'll find in the tank when you cut the hole in the top.
I winterize my water system with compressed air. I find it hard to believe that folks actually use propylene glycol in their water system. I always use a water filter on the hose end when filling my tank or hooking up to pressurized water.
I drink the water that comes out of the faucet!
Old 04-24-2016, 01:33 PM   #25

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbrightsteve View Post
It is close to impossible to completely drain a water tank in any RV. I always install a deck plate in the top my water tanks. This allows me to access the inside of the tank to suck out any remaining water using a shop vac and to wipe the inside of the tank with a cloth. When I'm finished the cleaning and sanitizing, I wipe the tank dry and let it air out for an hour or so and then screw the deck plate back on.
I have installed 3 plates in three different trailers. It requires that you cut a 6" hole in the tank top. I have always bought used trailers and you would be amazed at the scum you'll find in the tank when you cut the hole in the top.
I winterize my water system with compressed air. I find it hard to believe that folks actually use propylene glycol in their water system. I always use a water filter on the hose end when filling my tank or hooking up to pressurized water.
I drink the water that comes out of the faucet!
I "actually" use propylene glycol in my trailer's water system.
I worked at a plant that produced propylene glycol , their largest customers were food companies. I also worked at a folding carton company that made boxes for medical devices and feminine products. They used propylene glycol as a coolant because it was non toxic. I tried getting by with just blowing out my lines and come Spring I had to repair several split lines / fittings .
Millions of gallons of RV antifreeze are used annually without issue.
I live in an area where we experience 30 below Zero F temps in the winter. If I lived in a tropical climate like Florida ,Texas or Iowa ,
blowing out the lines may suffice.
Old 04-24-2016, 01:47 PM   #26

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Registry
Water

I'm a fire lookout in Oregon and I'm required to bring in water every week for my survival. It's the single most important resource I have. I think the same can apply to camping, somewhat. You can get by without a lot of things, but water is not one of them.
I use the 10 gallon tank that came with my Scamp, taking it out and cleaning it once a year with bleach. I also use 2- 2 1/2 gallon jugs
Amazon.com : Reliance Products Aqua-Pak 2.5 Gallon Rigid Water Container : Camping Sanitation Supplies : Sports & Outdoors
that I keep in the back of my truck or in the lookout. I can handle the weight and the spout works well. And... they're made by our nice friends north of the border! I'm too old and my legs are too damaged to carry a 5 gallon jug any more (or "cubbie", for those in the know). I fill up in town, drinking the same water that the people of La Pine or Bend drink. And they seem to be pretty good, healthy folks,...for the most part.

Hydrate! Any way you can.

Gordon
Old 04-24-2016, 02:04 PM   #27

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Water

As a rule we always have a case of bottled water with us in our tow vehicle. If the water is suspect we drink bottled water. At least to us the water tank water does not have an odor or taste. We do not put antifreeze in our trailer, if think we're going to be in freezing weather ( a rare event) we run a small electric heater to prevent freezing.

We always keep our water tank half full and replenish when ever it drops. If we can we replenish with city water, it always contains a little chlorine though we do carry a collapsible water refill container (3 gallon I think).

We often travel to places where there's a water boil order, though we find the locals hardly ever boil the water. Ginny is careful about it, not so much in my case. Neither of us have gotten ill.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 02:22 PM   #28

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Propylene glycol is also used in various edible items such as coffee-based drinks, liquid sweeteners, ice cream, whipped dairy products and soda. Vaporizers used for delivery of pharmaceuticals or personal-care products often include propylene glycol among the ingredients.
Propylene glycol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propylene_glycol