How many have a separate drinking water - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-24-2016, 02:31 PM   #29

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Casita Independence "Callimachusita"
Ocean City, NJ
I use bottled water for me, wife, cats and dogs. At ten cents a bottle on sale from CVS it's good protection from Montezumz.

Pod Puppies: Josie and Frankie, Casita Kittens: Madison & Razzel & Mrs. Chow
librarianocnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 02:44 PM   #30

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarianocnj View Post
I use bottled water for me, wife, cats and dogs. At ten cents a bottle on sale from CVS it's good protection from Montezumz.
My dog drinks out of the lake , puddles and the toilet.
I am not sure he is sophisticated enough to appreciate bottled water . Come to think of it neither am I .
I never associated New Jersey with Montezuma's revenge but now I know that if I ever get to New Jersey to avoid drinking the water.

Old 04-24-2016, 04:27 PM   #31

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4
SW Florida
There is no need to sanitize fresh water tank. Just fill it with campground water from time to time. It will kill all bacteria :-)
Old 04-24-2016, 05:03 PM   #32

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
I use on board water from the tank for hand and dish washing as it is usually filled when in camp. I also carry a separate 20 litre jug of home water for coffee, cooking and tooth brushing. I have never trusted the local park supply as a drinking source unless it has been boiled.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 04-24-2016, 05:04 PM   #33

Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkman View Post
Just wondering how many of us have a separate drinking water containers.
It seams no mater what I do I can't seem to get the funky taste out of my on board tank.
I have done the bleach siting for a couple hours to the fill drain repeat.
If you have a trick that really works I'd appreciate it. If I was full timeing I would be caring extra water all the time but for weekend trips it would be nice to not have to.
How are you flushing your fresh water system?. Many small rinses are better than one or two big rinses.
First, when you drain the antifreeze, tilt the tank down towards the drain. In our Scamp the tank drain is at the front. I lower the hitch jack as far as it goes.
The filler inlet is at the top rear. I run my garden hose in there. then give it six or more short flushes, each time letting it drain as much as possible. (there is always a small amount of liquid in the tank because the drain connection is up off the very bottom. You may be able to jack up or block up the left side to get more water out.)
Now, return the trailer to level. Fill it with fresh water. Then pump water thru the lines to all taps, until the pink stuff, and funny taste is gone.
Hook up your hose to the city water connection and flush those lines.

Even with all that, we often carry a couple gallon jugs of drinking water from home, or the store.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:06 PM   #34

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape 5.0TA
Southern Alberta
How many have a separate drinking water

We just use our onboard water, run it through a Brita water filter and have never had any problems.

Cheers
Doug
Old 04-24-2016, 05:10 PM   #35

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Casita Independence "Callimachusita"
Ocean City, NJ
After growing up drinking "sure kill punch" from The Schuylkill River in Philly, I vowed never to drink bad tasting water again. ��
Pod Puppies: Josie and Frankie, Casita Kittens: Madison & Razzel & Mrs. Chow
librarianocnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 05:52 PM   #36

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
I guess that's what killed my ancestors at an early age, not drinking bottled water, think maybe?

I don't drink bottled water most of the time, when I do have bottle of paided by the bottle water, the bottle is refilled either from the tank for campground water supply, if there is one. Then put into the fridge to get cold for drinking later. In MHO carrying bottled water is waste of space.

FYI-the water in campgrounds is tested at least once a year. My water generally gets a Clorax treatment once a year. I filter all water going into my tank at home or campgrounds. And above all I'm not of the paranoid community.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:24 PM   #37

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
I se this thread has drifted away from my original question.....LOL Witch does not surprise me.
It was any good way to get rid of the taste of the antifreeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 04-24-2016, 09:05 PM   #38

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkman View Post
I se this thread has drifted away from my original question.....LOL Witch does not surprise me.
It was any good way to get rid of the taste of the antifreeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
You are saying that you put anti-freeze in the tank? You will probably have to keep flushing the tank. You could try adding some baking soda. And then don't put it in again. No reason to ever have anti-freeze in your tank.

If it was just in the lines, same thing: Keep flushing. We, however, always buy gallons of water while on the road. Doesn't cost that much and no problem if the water in the area could bother you from being different from your home water. Right now we are in a place that flooded and the water was already questionable before we just had some flooding. We never have to care about the water quality for drinking or the taste because we never use it from the tank for that.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:43 PM   #39

Name: Grant
Trailer: Escape 17b 2006
British Columbia
Water hose

I always use the water from my tank. I found if the water tastes bad it usually is from the hose or from just poor tasting water from where I last filled it. I filter the water as it goes in the tank. Use it straight from the tap at home, if I want it sanitized as it has chlorine from the city.
Alas our water here is very good, I am lucky and would not drink it from any where from the southern states without a recommendation from a local.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:55 PM   #40

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
We carry a 20 litre container for use outside at the cook station ( picnic table ). I've got four more of these at home for the big earthquake. Change out the water twice a year and add a few drops of bleach. Nobody will be complaining about how the water tastes, or that supper is jellied chicken out of a can.
Attached Thumbnails
Skagit well.jpg  
Old 04-26-2016, 08:06 AM   #41

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
If there is still a bad smell or taste in your water, something is not getting sanitized. Keep in mind that not only does the fresh water tank need sanitizing but all the water lines and the water heater can grow bacteria . I put about few ounces of bleach in the fresh water tank and open each hot water faucet until the water heater is full. I let that sit for about an hour and then run the rest through the cold water lines. This seems to flush the entire system. Drain the heater and fill everything with fresh water and I never have bad water. I also use a filter on the inlet. (charcoal) I change it annually.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:02 AM   #42

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Propylene glycol is also used in various edible items such as coffee-based drinks, liquid sweeteners, ice cream, whipped dairy products and soda. Vaporizers used for delivery of pharmaceuticals or personal-care products often include propylene glycol among the ingredients.
Propylene glycol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propylene_glycol
I think this is the most relevant answer in this thread. We don't need to be paranoid about propylene glycol, it is ubiquitous.

When I de-winterize, I make sure that the fresh water tank runs dry and I do a number of flushes, probably half a dozen. (Not filling the tank completely, only about 3 to 6 inches.) That really dilutes any tank residue and the result is very little smell or taste that goes away quickly, as we wash dishes and take showers, using the system a lot.

Otherwise we have two 5 gallon water bags, filled at home, which are usually stashed behind the front seat. We also buy water bottles, but mostly for sipping while doing long road trips. We drink campground or RV park water, as long as it tastes OK.