How many have a separate drinking water - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2016, 06:27 PM   #61

Trailer: 19 ft Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
We use a Brita at home, we have good well water, but the Brita makes it taste a lot better. I would take one with me and use that for drinking water and coffee&tea. We have a small fridge (1.90) and the Brita will take up to much space. Was thinking of putting it in the cooler with the rest of the drinks. If I can find one of those split racks for our size fridge that may be the answer. Working on it. Carl

Carl we too use the Brita while camping for tea and coffee. Ours just sits on the counter though, if we want it cold we add ice.

Cheers
Doug
Doug P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:18 PM   #62

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Before the internet, our local daily newspaper had a columnist who passed on homemaking tips from readers.
One of those she published was mixing bleach and ( was it ammonia or vinegar? ). In any case, we know she didn't test the solution because she was still alive to write the retraction and apology. Readership of newspapers has been slumping ever since.
Probably was vinegar < Good info in this link
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:07 PM   #63

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
I think this is the most relevant answer in this thread. We don't need to be paranoid about propylene glycol, it is ubiquitous.

Yes, but ubiquitous is known to cause cancer in lab rats in California. So, if your ancestry in uncertain and you're traveling in California............

I use the water in my tank for everything.

If you can't get the PG taste out of your water, it may have impregnated the impeller and other parts of the pump and it all goes through there. Maybe rebuild the pump, or replace.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:14 AM   #64

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Flint is difficult

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I have to wonder about all the posts like We drink the same water as the locals, no problem, or something to that effect. I have to wonder if any of the locals are in Flint. They were told by their government that the water was safe. I have to wonder, how many more Flints are there?
I said it (Drink the same as the locals...). As to Flint, there was no knowledge, a situation almost impossible to deal with satisfactorily. However inn NL there were frequent 'boil before drinking' orders even in a Provincial Park with a drilled, steel lined, deep water wheel 50 miles from any significant population. I asked and the ranger said he couldn't understand it and many of the other spring time 'boil' orders. That he and the other rangers drank it.

On Fogo Island we were decidedly suspicious of the water, actually very yellow in color. We asked and that's the color year round. They said they did not use it for their tea, but did for everything else. We went to the Change Islands nearby, where very few live and the water was the same. I don't know what the colorant was but it imparted no taste or odor to the water. I will say Fogo seemed to have an older population, the young frequently leaving for the main island of NL where the opportunities were better.

We do carry a million gallon filter (a gift) that in some kind of real emergence would provide a pure supply.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:23 AM   #65

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
first time out, but we'll carry some water to start

We're heading out to our maiden camping experience and threads like these have us worried about drinking/cooking water. We'll be bringing three gallons of water for this first (two night) adventure and will probably be looking into installing a quality water filtration set-up soon. I've seen canister filters that attached directly to faucet (sill cock) and filter everything coming from the hose and I'll be looking at those because of ease of use as well as cleaning/replacement.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:10 AM   #66

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
We're heading out to our maiden camping experience and threads like these have us worried about drinking/cooking water. We'll be bringing three gallons of water for this first (two night) adventure and will probably be looking into installing a quality water filtration set-up soon. I've seen canister filters that attached directly to faucet (sill cock) and filter everything coming from the hose and I'll be looking at those because of ease of use as well as cleaning/replacement.
Bill and Laura,

We're in our 16th year of 7 month a year travel, covering all of the USA and Canada. When we began we were a little water paranoid. As we've traveled through every state and province we've found water quality is not an issue.

I do realize some people are very sensitive to their coffee water or have higher developed water tasting power. Not so much for us, maybe it's the age factor.

We do always carry a case of bottled water, primarily for our back road driving, protecting against emergencies far from a phone. In general we've found the tap water safe everywhere we've gone (of course we did not visit Flint and actually generally avoid cities).

We always carry water in our trailer's water tank, usually a half tank. We have never found the tank water objectionable. We do clean our tank with a bleach/water rinse once a year, mostly because everyone does it. The reality is most city water contains bleach (Chlorine) and every time we fill from a city or town source we're getting chlorine water.

Wishing you well in your travels, Ginny and I have found our time on the road to be a wonderful really carefree adventure.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-29-2016, 07:13 AM   #67

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
While I usually carry a gallon of bottled water for coffee when the campground water is bad, I installed a in line refrigerator water filter & a separate faucet in my Escape 17B. A full sized under sink filter wouldn't fit & the cartridge type smaller ones leaked at the low water pressure when the water pump wasn't on. The filter removes much of the bad taste some water adds to coffee.

While I generally have no problem with drinking campground water, I'm a bit wary of the 2-3 month old water in my fresh water tank, particularly if it has been filled from a questionable source.
Attached Thumbnails
ASF_6485.jpg  
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:07 AM   #68

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
.... The reality is most city water contains bleach (Chlorine) and every time we fill from a city or town source we're getting chlorine water.
Before you posted this, Norm, I mentioned this thread to my wife, and immediately she said: "We chlorinate the system every time we get water at a campground or some place like that." How true.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:36 AM   #69

Florida
Our Escapee Park has a well, however we chlorinated our well water.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-29-2016, 10:42 AM   #70

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
To drain the water tank completely, simply jack up the opposite side of the trailer!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:55 AM   #71

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
We do drinking water from a 5 gallon insulated water jug, orange ones you see on construction sites. We refill with ice which melts and provides drinking water. Never have really been a fan of drinking from the RV storage tank, and don't like buying bottled tap water for $$$, also having a dog along means needing water while traveling.

I try to avoid giving the dog a buffet of different water from every rest area and campground. Traveling with a dog having tummy issues from strange water is not fun. Melted ice tends to be consistent and since each bag is added to the melted remainder of the last bag there is no abrupt change.

I also have a couple or three 6 gallon water jugs if I wanted to extend a stay at a dry camping location. One of these is generally considered to be for putting out the fire and stirring the wet ashes.

As a kid much of our family camping was rustic or at least without hookups. One of my jobs was to haul water, a task I did not enjoy, especially as it cut into swimming and running around and other fun activities. When I started camping on my own as a young adult let us just say I developed a robust skill set for using little water while camping.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:18 PM   #72

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I think that as I learn my trailer better, I'll start drinking the water. The fact that something has made its way into our food system doesn't, to me, prove it's safe. There are a lot of nasty things in processed food.

I'll see if I can get away with winterizing with just compressed air.

When I've checked out more of my water system and have seen the different parts and materials, and know it's clean, I'll probably drink it after passing it through a filter. Just a shame to have all those gallons of water and not drink them.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:24 PM   #73

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I've winterized with compressed air, but I went back to RV antifreeze because when I see pink fluid coming out of the taps, I know there is pink stuff in the lines. With compressed air, I was never sure that I'd cleared the lines.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:25 PM   #74

Montana
I also always use this to fill my tank. First line of defense. If nothing else, some water sources are safe for your health but have a lot of sediment that can clog your trailer systems.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:27 PM   #75

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I've winterized with compressed air, but I went back to RV antifreeze because when I see pink fluid coming out of the taps, I know there is pink stuff in the lines. With compressed air, I was never sure that I'd cleared the lines.
Yeah, I definitely get it. Being the overly paranoid type when it comes to my health, I just think it's worth it, for me, to try compressed air. All sorts of things "proven safe" were later proven otherwise. We're pretty smart, science has come pretty far, but if you're a scientist yourself or follow the sciences closely enough, the one thing you know for sure is that we're always learning something new, and often it contradicts something old.

So I go with food, water and processes that have as little technology as possible, whether right or wrong, smart or dumb
Old 04-29-2016, 01:25 PM   #76

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
I ain't skerred.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:59 PM   #77

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Being from Minnesota , I assumed all states tested the water from public wells and beaches at State , County and city facilities / parks.
Unfortunately my assumption was wrong . We were looking at camping at a State Park in a Southern State. An Internet search showed that both the drinking water and the beach at that State Park had high levels of coliform bacteria. That State did not require monitoring of water quality and the problem was discovered by a private environmental group. In this case and in Flint the public is being deceived either purposely or by neglect.
You didn't mention the state. In FL our park has a well and we are required to test our water at the well head and the farthest point from the well head daily. As well it is tested by an outside company weekly as a double check. SImilarly we are required to test the swimming pool water daily and to keep permanent records of every test. These records are also inspected by the state.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-29-2016, 02:19 PM   #78

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
You didn't mention the state. In FL our park has a well and we are required to test our water at the well head and the farthest point from the well head daily. As well it is tested by an outside company weekly as a double check. SImilarly we are required to test the swimming pool water daily and to keep permanent records of every test. These records are also inspected by the state.
Norm ,it was not Florida and I will leave it at that. We have been to several Wisconsin State Parks where the well water was above EPA standards for nitrates. The Park Ranger informs you of the problem when you enter the park and there are signs posted at all water outlets in the park . The thing that disturbs me is the fact that this information is not posted on their website . We reserved a sight at a Wisconsin SP for camping with our grandkids and were not aware of the water issue until we arrived at the park. We then had to drive to town to get drinking water . I find this practice rather deceptive .
In my opinion this information should be posted on their website.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:49 AM   #79

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
To drain the water tank completely,

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
To drain the water tank completely, simply jack up the opposite side of the trailer!
Regard the location of the drain on the tank, not the location of the tank in the trailer.

Besides, the drain cock and the water pump connection may be on the opposite ends of the tank (as it is in my system).
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:38 PM   #80

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Regard the location of the drain on the tank, not the location of the tank in the trailer.

Besides, the drain cock and the water pump connection may be on the opposite ends of the tank (as it is in my system).
I didn't quote my reference, sorry.
I was referring to post #46 and getting all the sediment out of the hot water tank.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote