How many have a separate drinking water - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-29-2016, 11:55 AM   #71

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
We do drinking water from a 5 gallon insulated water jug, orange ones you see on construction sites. We refill with ice which melts and provides drinking water. Never have really been a fan of drinking from the RV storage tank, and don't like buying bottled tap water for $$$, also having a dog along means needing water while traveling.

I try to avoid giving the dog a buffet of different water from every rest area and campground. Traveling with a dog having tummy issues from strange water is not fun. Melted ice tends to be consistent and since each bag is added to the melted remainder of the last bag there is no abrupt change.

I also have a couple or three 6 gallon water jugs if I wanted to extend a stay at a dry camping location. One of these is generally considered to be for putting out the fire and stirring the wet ashes.

As a kid much of our family camping was rustic or at least without hookups. One of my jobs was to haul water, a task I did not enjoy, especially as it cut into swimming and running around and other fun activities. When I started camping on my own as a young adult let us just say I developed a robust skill set for using little water while camping.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:18 PM   #72

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
I think that as I learn my trailer better, I'll start drinking the water. The fact that something has made its way into our food system doesn't, to me, prove it's safe. There are a lot of nasty things in processed food.

I'll see if I can get away with winterizing with just compressed air.

When I've checked out more of my water system and have seen the different parts and materials, and know it's clean, I'll probably drink it after passing it through a filter. Just a shame to have all those gallons of water and not drink them.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:24 PM   #73

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I've winterized with compressed air, but I went back to RV antifreeze because when I see pink fluid coming out of the taps, I know there is pink stuff in the lines. With compressed air, I was never sure that I'd cleared the lines.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:25 PM   #74

Montana
Registry
I also always use this to fill my tank. First line of defense. If nothing else, some water sources are safe for your health but have a lot of sediment that can clog your trailer systems.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:27 PM   #75

Montana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I've winterized with compressed air, but I went back to RV antifreeze because when I see pink fluid coming out of the taps, I know there is pink stuff in the lines. With compressed air, I was never sure that I'd cleared the lines.
Yeah, I definitely get it. Being the overly paranoid type when it comes to my health, I just think it's worth it, for me, to try compressed air. All sorts of things "proven safe" were later proven otherwise. We're pretty smart, science has come pretty far, but if you're a scientist yourself or follow the sciences closely enough, the one thing you know for sure is that we're always learning something new, and often it contradicts something old.

So I go with food, water and processes that have as little technology as possible, whether right or wrong, smart or dumb
Old 04-29-2016, 02:25 PM   #76

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
I ain't skerred.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:59 PM   #77

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Being from Minnesota , I assumed all states tested the water from public wells and beaches at State , County and city facilities / parks.
Unfortunately my assumption was wrong . We were looking at camping at a State Park in a Southern State. An Internet search showed that both the drinking water and the beach at that State Park had high levels of coliform bacteria. That State did not require monitoring of water quality and the problem was discovered by a private environmental group. In this case and in Flint the public is being deceived either purposely or by neglect.
You didn't mention the state. In FL our park has a well and we are required to test our water at the well head and the farthest point from the well head daily. As well it is tested by an outside company weekly as a double check. SImilarly we are required to test the swimming pool water daily and to keep permanent records of every test. These records are also inspected by the state.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 03:19 PM   #78

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
You didn't mention the state. In FL our park has a well and we are required to test our water at the well head and the farthest point from the well head daily. As well it is tested by an outside company weekly as a double check. SImilarly we are required to test the swimming pool water daily and to keep permanent records of every test. These records are also inspected by the state.
Norm ,it was not Florida and I will leave it at that. We have been to several Wisconsin State Parks where the well water was above EPA standards for nitrates. The Park Ranger informs you of the problem when you enter the park and there are signs posted at all water outlets in the park . The thing that disturbs me is the fact that this information is not posted on their website . We reserved a sight at a Wisconsin SP for camping with our grandkids and were not aware of the water issue until we arrived at the park. We then had to drive to town to get drinking water . I find this practice rather deceptive .
In my opinion this information should be posted on their website.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:49 AM   #79

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
To drain the water tank completely,

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
To drain the water tank completely, simply jack up the opposite side of the trailer!
Regard the location of the drain on the tank, not the location of the tank in the trailer.

Besides, the drain cock and the water pump connection may be on the opposite ends of the tank (as it is in my system).
Old 04-30-2016, 06:38 PM   #80

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Regard the location of the drain on the tank, not the location of the tank in the trailer.

Besides, the drain cock and the water pump connection may be on the opposite ends of the tank (as it is in my system).
I didn't quote my reference, sorry.
I was referring to post #46 and getting all the sediment out of the hot water tank.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:24 PM   #81

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I didn't quote my reference, sorry.
I was referring to post #46 and getting all the sediment out of the hot water tank.
I know, sometimes the context keeps changing fast in our threads.