How many have a separate drinking water - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-26-2016, 07:06 AM   #41

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
If there is still a bad smell or taste in your water, something is not getting sanitized. Keep in mind that not only does the fresh water tank need sanitizing but all the water lines and the water heater can grow bacteria . I put about few ounces of bleach in the fresh water tank and open each hot water faucet until the water heater is full. I let that sit for about an hour and then run the rest through the cold water lines. This seems to flush the entire system. Drain the heater and fill everything with fresh water and I never have bad water. I also use a filter on the inlet. (charcoal) I change it annually.
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:02 AM   #42

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Propylene glycol is also used in various edible items such as coffee-based drinks, liquid sweeteners, ice cream, whipped dairy products and soda. Vaporizers used for delivery of pharmaceuticals or personal-care products often include propylene glycol among the ingredients.
Propylene glycol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propylene_glycol
I think this is the most relevant answer in this thread. We don't need to be paranoid about propylene glycol, it is ubiquitous.

When I de-winterize, I make sure that the fresh water tank runs dry and I do a number of flushes, probably half a dozen. (Not filling the tank completely, only about 3 to 6 inches.) That really dilutes any tank residue and the result is very little smell or taste that goes away quickly, as we wash dishes and take showers, using the system a lot.

Otherwise we have two 5 gallon water bags, filled at home, which are usually stashed behind the front seat. We also buy water bottles, but mostly for sipping while doing long road trips. We drink campground or RV park water, as long as it tastes OK.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:06 AM   #43

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I always bring along a couple of gallons of bottled water. I want my coffee to taste.. the.. same.. every.. time.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:01 AM   #44

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Registry
Jason,

I hope my original reply was useful. The point I was going for is this: Water is HEAVY. Carrying it around is difficult for old geezers. But if you have to do it, those smaller Reliance containers are very good and very practical. Gallon milk jugs are meant to hold a gallon of milk, and then be recycled when empty. It's kind of sad (like spilt milk) when they spring a leak, as you bounce down the road, unaware of the disaster waiting for you when you stop.

I found that removing the water tank in my Scamp was surprisingly easy to do. Pull it out, fill it with hot water and a little bleach in the bathtub. Let it sit. Rinse and repeat. The point here is that you don't have to use antifreeze in your tank. Hopefully, you can just take it out.

I mounted a marine deck plate on the top of my tank, like this one:
Seachoice Polypropylene Twist 'N' Lock Deck Plate - Walmart.com
which is handy for filling the tank when you don't have a pressurized water hose. AND...it allows you to see what's in there. No mysteries. You could even sponge out any remaining water without removing the tank. I also left the tank visible in my rebuild so that I can see at a glance how much water I have.

I think the products for purifying water that have been mentioned here, are worth looking into. When water sits for a time, it can get a little slimy. I wonder how those products function without hurting US.

This reminds me of the April Fool's thread about instant water in a can.

Best of luck to you.

Gordon
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:03 AM   #45

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Propylene glycol is also used in various edible items such as coffee-based drinks, liquid sweeteners, ice cream, whipped dairy products and soda. Vaporizers used for delivery of pharmaceuticals or personal-care products often include propylene glycol among the ingredients.
Propylene glycol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propylene_glycol
Just in case there is any confusion... Automotive antifreeze is Ethylene Glycol and it is POISON.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 01:29 PM   #46

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmartin748 View Post
If there is still a bad smell or taste in your water, something is not getting sanitized. Keep in mind that not only does the fresh water tank need sanitizing but all the water lines and the water heater can grow bacteria . I put about few ounces of bleach in the fresh water tank and open each hot water faucet until the water heater is full. I let that sit for about an hour and then run the rest through the cold water lines. This seems to flush the entire system. Drain the heater and fill everything with fresh water and I never have bad water. I also use a filter on the inlet. (charcoal) I change it annually.
Keep in mind that it not possible to draining the hot water tank completely due to the location of the drain pippin so it will not clean out all the sedative etc sitting in the bottom of it.

You need to use a Hot Water Tank rinser to really clean out the bad gunk from the hot water tank.

My trailer had a smelly water issue that kept returning no matter how many times I rinsed out the fresh tank and lines - was not until I used the water heater tank rinser and cleaned out the bottom of the hot water tank did the smell go away. I now give it a good cleaning at least once a year and have not had the smell water issue return.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:37 AM   #47

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
it will not clean out all the sedative etc sitting in the bottom of it.
Carol, I am sure you meant sediment. Using any word completion ap?

Last year I found out that if you unscrew the water heater drain plug while the lines are pressurized, the gunk gets washed out of there violently. It was an accidental discovery, but well worth remembering!
Old 04-27-2016, 11:24 AM   #48

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Carol, I am sure you meant sediment. Using any word completion ap?

Last year I found out that if you unscrew the water heater drain plug while the lines are pressurized, the gunk gets washed out of there violently. It was an accidental discovery, but well worth remembering!
LOL thanks Paul yes sediment!! Just old eyes, small screen phone and auto correct not great combo.

Yes you can will get a big rush out of the hot water tank if you do not let the pressure off! I have done that myself more than once and its a great way to find you have blown the plug clear out of sight as well.

Still not sure that it will actually get the heavier sediment out and over the lip though.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 01:05 PM   #49

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
And you get an unexpected shower all at the same time.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:51 AM   #50

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
LOL thanks Paul yes sediment!! Just old eyes, small screen phone and auto correct not great combo.

Yes you can will get a big rush out of the hot water tank if you do not let the pressure off! I have done that myself more than once and its a great way to find you have blown the plug clear out of sight as well.

Still not sure that it will actually get the heavier sediment out and over the lip though.
The pressure in my system was not high enough to blow the plug out hard, but I use a socket wrench, so it is captured. When I did that, I was amazed how much white stuff was then on the ground. I don't think it is necessary to get the last bit of it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
And you get an unexpected shower all at the same time.
Yup, when it is hanging by one thread (literally) or so, it start squirting pretty well! But that is, of course, the clean side of the trailer.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:31 AM   #51

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
Vinegar, that is how we get the taste of the antifreeze and chlorine out of the tank and lines.

We flush the antifreeze out with clean water, in the tank, and through the lines. Then we sanitize the tank and lines with bleach water. Then put in some fresh water to flush bleach through tank and lines.

Then we mix white vinegar in some water, add it to the tank with the water and flush the lines until we now longer smell bleach, but instead the faint odor or vinegar.

One more flush, with clear water through the lines. Then you have fresh clean smelling water.

The vinegar after the bleach is the key. Every spring, this is a ritual.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:30 AM   #52

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry R. View Post
The vinegar after the bleach is the key.
You are first flushing the bleach with a lot of water and then adding a little vinegar mixed with a lot more water. This assists in off-gassing the remaining chlorine residual.

I realize that just using bleach, (or even just getting out of bed in the morning), has risks. However, I think folks should be aware of the basic chemistry and the potential risks if they were to mix the vinegar and the bleach directly together.

The combination of vinegar and bleach releases chlorine gas, which is toxic. So, the approach Terry suggests would help remove the chlorine taste and odor.
Mixing vinegar and bleach directly could cause problems.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:37 AM   #53

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkman View Post
I se this thread has drifted away from my original question.....LOL Witch does not surprise me.
It was any good way to get rid of the taste of the antifreeze.
Jason, I think a lot of us just look at the subject line.

The antifreeze has almost no odor and a slightly sweet taste, which would be very diluted.

If you are getting a different taste or odor, it might be some other thing causing that.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:35 PM   #54

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
Civilguy, we do not mix bleach and vinegar. We flush tank and lines with fresh water, after the bleach sanitization, before adding a "small" amount of vinegar to a tank of fresh water containing "no" bleach. Then we flush with fresh water again and fill.

These were directions we received with a motor home we once owned. It seems to get rid of all the chemical odors in the water.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:40 PM   #55

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Filtering

There's all kinds of filtering.

When we first started as truly beginners we had a 5 micron filter on our primary waterline and a 0.1 micron filter (50 times better) on a cold water tap at the kitchen sink.

The 0.1 micron filter was relatively slow flow, but took almost everything out of the water, I believe the cartridge was about $60 but it easily lasted us a year on the road.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:50 PM   #56

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry R. View Post
Civilguy, we do not mix bleach and vinegar. We flush tank and lines with fresh water, after the bleach sanitization, before adding a "small" amount of vinegar to a tank of fresh water containing "no" bleach. Then we flush with fresh water again and fill.

These were directions we received with a motor home we once owned. It seems to get rid of all the chemical odors in the water.
Terry,

Yes, I understand and I can see why it is working for you doing it that way. Done differently by someone with a different approach, there could be higher risks.

I edited my earlier post to clarify as it had originally made it sound like doing it with your approach was a concern. My concern is more with someone who half-reads or half-remembers the concept and then mixes vinegar directly with bleach.

Regards,
Mike

Old 04-28-2016, 02:14 PM   #57

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Before the internet, our local daily newspaper had a columnist who passed on homemaking tips from readers.
One of those she published was mixing bleach and ( was it ammonia or vinegar? ). In any case, we know she didn't test the solution because she was still alive to write the retraction and apology. Readership of newspapers has been slumping ever since.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:33 PM   #58

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I have to wonder about all the posts like We drink the same water as the locals, no problem, or something to that effect. I have to wonder if any of the locals are in Flint. They were told by their government that the water was safe. I have to wonder, how many more Flints are there?
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:10 PM   #59

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
We use a Brita at home, we have good well water, but the Brita makes it taste a lot better. I would take one with me and use that for drinking water and coffee&tea. We have a small fridge (1.90) and the Brita will take up to much space. Was thinking of putting it in the cooler with the rest of the drinks. If I can find one of those split racks for our size fridge that may be the answer. Working on it. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:04 PM   #60

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I have to wonder about all the posts like We drink the same water as the locals, no problem, or something to that effect. I have to wonder if any of the locals are in Flint. They were told by their government that the water was safe. I have to wonder, how many more Flints are there?
Being from Minnesota , I assumed all states tested the water from public wells and beaches at State , County and city facilities / parks.
Unfortunately my assumption was wrong . We were looking at camping at a State Park in a Southern State. An Internet search showed that both the drinking water and the beach at that State Park had high levels of coliform bacteria. That State did not require monitoring of water quality and the problem was discovered by a private environmental group. In this case and in Flint the public is being deceived either purposely or by neglect.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote