How many miles/hours of road time a day for you? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-15-2014, 12:12 AM   #15

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Lesson learned on my last trip, not towing. But I pushed 11 hours thinking I would stop and get a hotel room. Awwww, guess what? No hotel rooms available. I found a safe place to pull over and crawl in the back seat. But I learned a valuable lesson. Don't push to make it another couple hundred miles whether I'm towing or not. It's about where I can stay safely. Traveling alone, I'm not stopping out on some pull off or down some gravel road. So if there is a great option at 4 hours, then I will stop. I have a 1200 mile, one way towing trip coming up. I will stop when I get to a safe place to stop overnight. My trip entails many miles of wide open roads with no service or limited services, so I won't push. I will take my sweet time and enjoy the trip. When we owned the rv park, most of our guest choose to travel no more than 5 hundred miles per day.

Hours of travel depend on who's doing the traveling. For years my Dh and I had "vacations" that where specific days long. Sometimes we had to do the 10/15/20 hour drives just to get there so we could actually enjoy our vacations rather than driving for 3 or 4 days of our vacation time. To each their own.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:03 AM   #16

Name: Dave
Trailer: Trillium
Newfoundland & Labrador
Travel time

I am the worst for driving all day, always have been. Now that I am on my own it is worse. I will drive from 0700 to 1600 and then drink a small bottle of wakey wakey stuff and do another five hours. Even when I drove big truck I always drove to the limit. It is a bad habit that I am working hard to break. First, I do not have any need for a tight schedule on my trips now.
Unless I have a reservation to meet I can leave earlier in the week or arrive a day or two later. Second, at my age, well..... 'nuff said.
My goal for this summer is not to drive any more than 300 - 350 miles in a day, stop for breaks more often, take an hour for lunch, drink more water so I will have to stop more often, stop and smell the roses and just haul in when I see a sign for something interesting.
If 3 - 4 hours is your comfort level, stay with it, especially if you are lucky enough to be sharing the trip with a loved one.
Scouter Dave

Old 05-15-2014, 07:10 AM   #17
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
First time out west we did 500+ miles a day. Had to see this. Had to see that. Not any more. Two years ago we went west again. We loosely followed I70 west and loosely followed I40 east. Last fall we did the great eastern loop. Great lakes, down the Mississippi river, across the gulf, and up the Atlantic coast. Both trips we did 300 miles a day at most. Start early (7:00) and stop by 3:00. This gives time to explore the camp ground, have a good walk with the dog, and decide on the route to our next stop. We usually have a list of several campgrounds for the next night. Much more relaxed. Raz
Old 05-15-2014, 07:38 AM   #18

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
My guideline is 6 hours driving in any one day. On long trips (my last was a two week tour of New England, starting from the Detroit area). I try to drive-a-day, stay-a-day, repeat as necessary. I think I was able to keep it down to 5 hours or less on most travel days.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:14 AM   #19

Name: Fred
Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Kootenay's of BC
Registry
For me the vacation is driving. Both of us enjoy cruizin down the open road more than most other things.
Mileage and time behind the wheel is dependant on daylight!
The adventure is GETTING LOST,,,,,,,
Fred
Old 05-15-2014, 04:27 PM   #20

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
When I was working I'd do 600-700 on day 1 of a trip as long as the 2nd day was short. Now that I'm retired I'm looking to do 300 a day on an upcoming 5k jaunt to Yellowstone. May adjust that if we want to do some multi day stops en route.

We are early risers and pull out of a CG by 8am, we find we have time to burn before we can check into the next CG if the distance/travel time is too small/short. To hang around a CG till 11 just because we can't check in till 3 is a bit of a hassle.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:02 PM   #21

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
When we go 'glamping', it is always on one of our holidays (some MUCH longer than others) and we have found its not all about the mileage or hours driven.

We usually drive till we get to the next scenic location along our route. We too are early risers, especially when on the road, and quite often are up, done the 3 S's folded up camp and gotten on the road by 7:00 A.M.
Gassing up the evening beforehand saves time and breakfast is usually eaten somewhere down the line, just before launch time. Time to pull off the road usually around noon(ish). Gives the driver ample time to stop relax and smell the roses, ....well before suppertime!!!
Old 05-15-2014, 06:11 PM   #22

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
We found about 250 miles was comfortable. That's about 4 hours @ 60 mph but with stops for lunch and coffees the trip often took more than 6.
The longest days were through Texas where we did about 350 miles in one day which I found tiring.
We're retired so there was no rush
Phil
Old 05-16-2014, 07:50 AM   #23

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Mager View Post
When we go 'glamping', it is always on one of our holidays (some MUCH longer than others) and we have found its not all about the mileage or hours driven.

We usually drive till we get to the next scenic location along our route. We too are early risers, especially when on the road, and quite often are up, done the 3 S's folded up camp and gotten on the road by 7:00 A.M.
Gassing up the evening beforehand saves time and breakfast is usually eaten somewhere down the line, just before launch time. Time to pull off the road usually around noon(ish). Gives the driver ample time to stop relax and smell the roses, ....well before suppertime!!!

Do you not run into CG's that have later then noon check in times?
Old 05-16-2014, 09:40 AM   #24

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin00 View Post
Do you not run into CG's that have later then noon check in times?
In our admittedly limited camping so far I have not run into an early arrival as being much of a problem. We camp at State Parks and even if we cannot officially “check in” there is always somewhere to pull off and then hike and check things out until check in time. Only one place has even mentioned that we were early, but our camp site was empty & ready so they checked us in.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:35 PM   #25

Name: Keith
Trailer: Not yet
Florida
Well here are my rules for vacation driving which seems bit different than some here. Rule one NO INTERSTATES once out of Florida! Rule 2, NO CHAIN Restaurants, Rule 3, NO MORE than 300 miles a day, which can sometimes be a long day due to RULE 1…..
Just want to have fun and relax but that work thing can get in the way sometimes.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:34 PM   #26

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Thumbs up to all the good info shared in the posts on driving times & the why of it all

Cari really likes to drive & I enjoy navigating since it gives me an excuse to play with gadgets. That said I can tell when Cari's type A short-fuse My-way-or-the-highway personality needs a break...or she's gonna go-road-rage...any I quickly swap out with my longer-than-a-summer-day's fuse type B it's-all-good personality. A perfect example of how opposites attract in action.

We do have a set of favorite camp destinations that are from 1 to 4 hours away from us on the Oregon Coast and try to set out so that traffic should flow well all the way. That and we do our trips on weekdays so we typically have the camps to ourselves...
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:41 PM   #27

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I'm leaving in the morning, 650 mile trip, usually takes a little under 11 hours with the camper and truck, 9.5 or so with the car (3-4 less gas stops).

10-12 hours is about enough.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:29 PM   #28

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I don't like driving and I don't like towing and driving because I never see a flippin' thing! Two lane roads are worse. I stick to the interstates and get where I want to go as soon as I can get there. But, I'm still working. I'm hoping ALL this changes in the future.

Now, just need to find someone to drive so I can look out a different window than the windshield and gazing at the mirrors to see if I'm jamming up traffic behind me.

SIGH.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote