How many trailers? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #21

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Lets see now, first Scotty, then a bigger Scotty, then kids arrived, got a starcraft pop up, then an apache hard side pop up, then needed money, sold the Apache, and went back to tent. Finally another pop up, then broke my wrist I got a Scamp (no toilet or shower). Sold the Scamp for a self contained Casita. Then got the Amerilite for more room inside the camper. Sold the Casita, found out Amerilite costs a fortune to haul, so bought another Scamp. Hubby hated the Scamp and the Casita because they are so small, so I sold it.
Am I happy.......no, I want a camper not hard on gas when towing. Looking now for another Casita.
I think so far about 10 campers/tents.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #22

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
we have had 3 tent trailers over the years--and i think the "newest" one was about 25 years old when we bought it. needless to say, each and every time we set the darn thing up, there i was with my sewing kit to repair or patch some wayward piece of zipper or canvas. got sick of it, but it was so wonderful to be up off of the ground! finally, once the boys were all grown and we were financially able to purchase something newer, we decided to look for a small trailer, something we could slip into for lunch or a cup of tea without having to do a major set-up. with both of us having grown up in the toronto area (ontario), we knew about trillium trailers, since they were manufactured very close to there. and we have had ours for 7 years and absolutely love it. it is our forever-for-now trailer. we cannot see ourselves trading it---but we do not know what the future brings and so we only can plan for now. and for now, it is perfect.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:33 PM   #23

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I'm not looking for the 'perfect' trailer for me (actually I don't like that word). I love 'imperfection' because it has so much potential. So I'm not looking for the 'perfect' trailer, I'm just enjoying the one that I have.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:44 PM   #24

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Still looking

1977 VW Westfalia,
1985 VW Westfalia EU delivery, got too small for our family,
1990 19’ Sticky Fleetwood, did not work with the boat,
1997 9.5' Bigfoot Camper,
2008 21’ Bigfoot trailer hoped to be the permanent solution, but, it is not,
Later this year or 2013 15’-16’ Casita, Scamp, Escape or Sprinter or alike van conversion.

George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:20 PM   #25

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We have had only 4 campers in the last 35 years and still have 3 of them. First one was an Apache popup, kept it a couple years and then sold it and bought a 73 Starcraft popup in 1978, recanvassed it about 8 years ago, still have it. In 2008 bought a 1946 teardrop, restored it, still use it. Last August bought a '84 CT13 Uhaul, use it when not camping in the teardrop. Maybe someday move up to a 16 or 17 foot fiberglass camper, like a Casita if we find a good deal. Bob
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:16 AM   #26

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
i guess five , two different pickup trucks with caps that we camped in a lot early in life. one monster motorhome, where we discovered that all we ever used it for was sleeping. one home built teardrop, it's perfect for me and my dog to go hunting in, but mama wants to be able to stand up and get dressed. and now we pick up our scamp 13 in about three weeks. so we will see how that goes.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:18 PM   #27

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
It took just one. My one and only "Little Marshmallow" Puff. On occasions people ask me about purchasing a larger or different trailer and I simply reply: "Why!! I got all I need, which is just about everything, in my little Scamp"

Maybe if I full timed I'd think about something larger but I'm not so sure about that. I love my 13 footer.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:19 PM   #28

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
I think the perfect trailer changes by different circumstances in life. Our 13 scamp fits perfect for our life right now, but I'm in the process of designing one that will be completely scratch built for full time use, as I couldn't find anything I liked yet. If something comes up that I can restore/ change that meets our needs, that's still an option. When that one is done, it will be perfect for full time use, but if we go back to a permanent home after full timing, it will probably changed back to something smaller, which will then be the perfect trailer at that time.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:09 PM   #29

Name: K
Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
California
We're hoping it is just four. We got our toes wet with a used Palomino pop-up, moved to a bigger Coleman pop-up, camped in that for two years, and then upgraded to a top-of-the-line Fleetwood pop-up with high sides; it even had a hard-walled wet bathroom in it. Pop-ups served us well and we loved the king-sized beds, but set up took a lot of time and we couldn't use the trailer for little stops along the way. Plus I was always cold!

We did a lot of research and really hope that our new-to-us Escape 19 is close to perfection for quite some time. We didn't want to move up to a heavy trailer and love the little molded fiberglass eggs. It isn't ideal if we need to sleep four (two kids on a 40X77 dinette is going to be cramped), but when we were the age our boys are now we both slept in tents and that is what they will do unless the weather is terrible. We tried to get the trailer that we think will work even once the boys are gone. Our shakedown trip is this weekend ...
Teen Boy #1 and Teen Boy #2
Monster and Brat (the dogs, not the boys)
HappyFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:05 PM   #30

Name: Jim
Trailer: Aliner; future egger
Minnesota
Only one at a time, but we have camped in:
1st fiberglass truck cap and sleeping bags
2nd Apache hard-sided pop-up
3rd fiberglass sailboat
4th tent
5th shopping for a Scamp, T@B or Aliner
MN Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:56 PM   #31

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19' /2010 Honda Pilot 4WD TV
Escondido, California
Jim,

What issue did you have with the slide-out on the Lance 1575? I am also looking at that one and welcome any input/advice you have.
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:10 PM   #32

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
The slide motors went up after 2 months and 4 uses, there is no back up system either, so you are dead in the water if it happens on the road. Mine happened in my driveway. It was fixed, but I was leary of it now,
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:50 PM   #33

Name: Dave
Trailer: 19 ft Escape ( aug 2012)
Alberta
Our first trailer was a trillium 4500, we wanted washroom facilities so we bought a flagstaff 25 ft that was a auwful to tow swayed all over the road over 80 km/hr, traded for a 21 ft flagstaff the next year, then a 21 ft outback, then a 25 ft streamlite. will be picking up our Escape 19 ft on the 10th of aug. all of the stick built trailers never came close to meeting my expectations for quality. Although i am confident it will i just hope our new Escape is what i am searching for. That is a well built trailer with good use of space. every stick trailer i have had over time i have realized that the layout is flawed and wasful of space. when i looked at the escape trailers there doesn't apear to be any un used space just because it is cheaper and easier to build.
DMAC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:12 PM   #34
Commercial Member

Name: Rob
Trailer: Casita
Kansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Just curious, how many trailers/RV's did it take you to get to your perfect one or are you still hunting?
I am on my third trailer after backpacking and truck camping for many years.

Used Starcraft popup for 8 years
Used Jayco popup for 10 years
Used Casita 17' SD for three years

I like the Casita so well, I have no plans to ever upgrade.

The Escape Trailer appears to be the perfect base trailer for my needs but I have spent too many hours tailoring the Casita for my unique requirements to consider upgrading.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:11 PM   #35

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
The first (and probably last) was down at the heels and the price was right and the trip to buy was 90 mi. Purrrfect now of course as "perfected" by me so how can I complain about the work without kicking myself in the rear? I found out it was essentially solid AFTER I bought it and believe I was lucky. Prior to that two or three tents and also bags under pickup caps (both aluminum and glass). An aluminum truck cap is worse than any tent! I could have lived the rest of my life without feeling a need to tow anything bigger than a utility trailer full of brush but my wife suddenly revealed that she had dreamed the Airstream Dream a couple yrs. back and fortunately I was able to sublimate her fantasies on the cheap with a nice old egg. Lucky me!!!

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:16 PM   #36

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Just curious, how many trailers/RV's did it take you to get to your perfect one or are you still hunting?
4 casitas, 1 bigfoot fiver , 1 class c , now we have a Lil Snoozy . We have found the perfect one for us
Old 07-25-2012, 04:26 PM   #37

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
The first (and probably last) was down at the heels and the price was right and the trip to buy was 90 mi. Purrrfect now of course as "perfected" by me so how can I complain about the work without kicking myself in the rear? I found out it was essentially solid AFTER I bought it and believe I was lucky. Prior to that two or three tents and also bags under pickup caps (both aluminum and glass). An aluminum truck cap is worse than any tent! I could have lived the rest of my life without feeling a need to tow anything bigger than a utility trailer full of brush but my wife suddenly revealed that she had dreamed the Airstream Dream a couple yrs. back and fortunately I was able to sublimate her fantasies on the cheap with a nice old egg. Lucky me!!!

jack
Wait until she gets a new pair of glasses, then you will be in a heap of trouble.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:41 PM   #38

Name: Logan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
I'm on number 4.
I started with a 1985 Econoline 250 high top coachmen conversion.
#2 was a 28' Sandpiper
#3 was a Coleman Taos popup
#4 is the Scamp

The van was fun, but very limited as to where it could go.

The Sandpiper was awesome and the tow vehicle (1 ton crew cab Chevy 4x4) could go anywhere I wanted. I ended up selling it to pay for school.

The Taos could go anywhere the tow vehicle could, the heat and A/C kept it very comfortable and it was quick to set up. The company I worked for at the time went belly up due to new environmental regulations and I had to cut back on toys.

I got the Scamp for a steal off of Ebay and it is great, but it is small and lacks a few amenities.

I can afford my ideal RV (Modified M109A3), but the state of Wisconsin won't allow me to drive it where I want when I want. It could go anywhere, run on nearly anything and tow anything.
841K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #39

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I have never towed a trailer till 9 months ago.

For the last several years the seven of us have camped in tents. It was OK, but the amount of luggage eventually overwhelmed our Safari mini van.

I grew up in Ontario. There were Trilliums everywhere. My uncle owned one. I did a little research, and decided to look for a 4500, or a Bigfoot 19. I was ready to pull the trigger on a Bigfoot 19 that they were asking $5500 for, in Edmonton. It had been for sale for several weeks, and I hoped they were open to negotiation. I was planning to head up to Edmonton on Friday. Then a Trillium 4500 came up on kijiji, in Saskatchewan, for a price that I could not refuse. That was a Wednesday. I booked time off work and was out there the next morning. Good thing too! The Bigfoot was gone that day.

That was a scant 9 months ago. Since then I have purchased two more. One an identical 4500 in Ontario. That one is still at my dads place in Ontario. The other is a Trillium 1300 that came up less then one hour out of Calgary, (where I live). The price was also too good to pass up, but it is a fixer upper.

We just came back from the first camping trip on July 17.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...int-50756.html
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #40

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Wait until she gets a new pair of glasses, then you will be in a heap of trouble.
Good thing I didn't try to sneak a camo deucenahalf by her! +

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote