How many trailers? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2012, 10:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
How many trailers?

Just curious, how many trailers/RV's did it take you to get to your perfect one or are you still hunting?
Old 02-25-2012, 10:27 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Just curios, how many trailers/RV's did it take you to get to your perfect one or are you still hunting?
On my 4th now. Maybe gonna go bigger yet, but this is pretty close to perfect.

Started with a 15 foot sticky, then a Boler 13 - had to step outside to change my mind! - then a Boler 17, now a Bigfoot 21' Rear bed.

Maybe a 25' Bigfoot sometime in the future?

If someone made a molded glass 34', I'd be interested!
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
We're on our 5th. 2 pop-ups, followed by a British fiberglas camper while in England, then another pop-up, and now our Scamp.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:36 PM   #4

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
So is this your perfect trailer, are you done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
We're on our 5th. 2 pop-ups, followed by a British fiberglas camper while in England, then another pop-up, and now our Scamp.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:11 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
For us it was exactly the same number as it takes licks to reach the center of a tootsie roll pop!

Yahoo! Video Detail for TOOTSIE ROLL POPS ANIMATED COMMERCIAL 1960s
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:19 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Our first RV was a camper shell on the back of my dad's farm pick-up (1970 Chevy) with a butane tank in back; this would have been in 1971. My wife & I drove from Harlingen, TX to Las Cruces, NM for a job interview. We bought the camper shell for the trip. We had two fold up cots (old army style, canvas, take apart to fold), a borrowed Coleman camp stove. The camp stove's leather pump was dry, therefore we had a time getting it to work. Corn oil on the leather to get it going. First time to sleep in it was a KOA in Las Cruces. Got the job, found a small house to rent, spent another night at the KOA. Went to Carlsbad. Can't remember others stops. No real problem. Fell in love with RVing & New Mexico and have been at it for 40 years or so.

After getting back home (TX), we bought a '71 Chevy Pickup for the camper shell. After moving to NM, I added build in bunks, storage, a spot for a Coleman ice chest and a wooden floor over the metal bed with indoor/outdoor carpet. It was a neat set up for us. It even had a little seat, so you could have a place to put on shoes, etc in the back close to the door. The camper shell had a solid back, with a door & windows on both sides. I took the tail gate off. It had 3 tiers, tallest in the rear, of course. It was great for boon docking & dispersed camping. We also got a port-a-potty.

We also bought a new Coleman stove in Las Cruces before we left. Ha!

In '75, at least I believe it was '75. Traded this set-up on a '75 Scout II 4x4, slept in the back with the tailgate down with a sheet over the back to keep out bugs, or in a tent.

A few years later, around '83 or 4, I got an old '60 something Holiday Rambler Truck Camper for the old '70 pick up, after I got it from my mom. It had roof leaks, water leaks if on city, smelled bad until got to cooking in it each trip. I took the mattress out & burned it (living out on a small, 5 acre farm at the time). It fit a long bed pick-up.

Bought a TT in '86 (a 20' 1983 Komfort Lite Bunkhouse with a head & shower, Wow!) which we took on a trip to Yellowstone, Glacier, Baniff in Canada to Victoria, BC then down the west coast to SoCal & back home towed with the 16 year old '70 Chevy farm truck without a butane tank & a low shell.

After several new to us tows through the years, we went to a '96 Coachman Catalina C-class 22' MH in '97. We went to Canada again for our first trip with it. This time to LA area then up the west coast to Victoria, BC area to Jasper, to Baniff, Watertown, Glacier, then back home via American Falls area of Idaho. After getting a Fish & Sky Boat, we often towed our Jeep CJ-7 & the boat behind the C-class going up to Elephant Butte State Park.

We down sized to the 16' Scamp in 2005.

We enjoyed each and everyone of them. Each fix into the niche we needed at the time. None was perfect. The Scamp has been pretty close to 'perfect', but in some ways it could be improved.
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:59 AM   #7

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Hyperlite Toy Hauler 2008- no bath
Sunvalley Road Runner 2008- poor construction
T@da-2009-too short
Lance 1880-2010-too big
EggCamper 2010-too small
Lance1575-2011- slide issue
Escape 19'- just right
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:32 AM   #8

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I can not say on the grounds that I might incriminate myself.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:27 AM   #9

Trailer: Aliner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
I can not say on the grounds that I might incriminate myself.
Too funny, Ed!

It took us two. We started with the Aliner, and now the Casita is our forever camper. We are crazy about it!
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #10

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
As a departed friend used to say;"I Plead and Drink the Fifth".
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:38 AM   #11

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
My first trailer was an Apache Scout, the one where the bed was on the trailer and the stand up part of the tent was on the ground. Got this in 1962. My wife & I got married in 1963 and we've been RVing/travelling/camping ever since. All that totals 48 years so we've had a LOT of "things" in that time. Camped out of station wagons, out of pickup trucks with a topper, several pop-up trailers, in tents, a variety of travel trailers, two 5th wheels, and in/out of a full size van. Both our trailers are 2011 models. Our Kodiak is a single purpose trailer used exclusively for snowbirding somewhere in the south for the winter. Right now we're in Camp Verde, AZ since early December and will return to Michigan in about 2 weeks. Our Egg Camper (favorite) is our FUN trailer. We use it for travelling and camping. We had not just gone camping for years before we got it. Now my wife wants to go. Formany years she didn't. Our first trip with the E.C. was last summer to Montana and Idaho and points in between both going from MI and coming back. GREAT!!! BTW, stay AWAY from Williston, N.D. Due to the oillboom there, there's literally no place to camp for at least 100 miles and the local Walmart is kicking people out of their parking lot.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:41 AM   #12

Trailer: Boler 1984
Our first was a crank-up camper way back in the early 70's, It weighed almost as much as the tow vehicle does today. The tow vehicles had to have air bags or extra springing to keep from tail dragging. We purchased the Boler back in '94 and have enjoyed it for the last 18 years. We've talked about a larger one but it hasn't happened yet.
Easy to tow.
Easy to set up
Easy to use.
Easy to store.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #13

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Quote:
So is this your perfect trailer, are you done?
I wouldn't say our 16 is our "perfect" trailer, but it works great for us right now. We bought it used after we decided to go with fiberglass, figuring we could see what we liked and disliked with the different options (this one has most) and then expected that we would resell it and order the "perfect" trailer once we decided what that would be. Ideally, I'd like a lightweight minimum option 13 for quick trips to visit relatives, and a 19 for long leisurely trips when we retire.
The 16 fits within the two so is a good balance if you can only have one camper.
We loved the pop-ups when we had them but the Scamp is much more convenient for our current lifestyle.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:51 AM   #14

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Question

Quote:
...your perfect one
There is no such thing.

I am a Geminian.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm a one trailer (at a time) gal... and have only owned ONE. At this stage in my life, I can no longer afford to make financial mistakes through hit and miss decisions. My 24 year old Scamp currently fits my needs and camping style. BUT, when the time comes I'll have my forever rig. And, I'm actually waffling between an Escape 5.0 and a molded truck camper (did I say that ). Only time (and finances) will tell....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #16
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm a one trailer (at a time) gal... and have only owned ONE. At this stage in my life, I can no longer afford to make financial mistakes through hit and miss decisions. My 24 year old Scamp currently fits my needs and camping style. BUT, when the time comes I'll have my forever rig. And, I'm actually waffling between an Escape 5.0 and a molded truck camper (did I say that ). Only time (and finances) will tell....
Is there a Bigfoot in your future.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:51 AM   #17

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Perfect is as perfect does.

They are only perfect if they meet your needs *at the time*

I have had 2 pop ups, 2 Burros, a motorhome, a 15 ft sticky and now my Leocraft.

Outside of the motorhome, I can say I was happy with ALL of them *At the time* but my needs changed so I moved on to the next.

Is this one perfect? It is for me and my herd right now, but I am sure it isn't my last rig.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:57 PM   #18

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Have done the motorhome of different sizes and the camper truck but the current is the closest to perfect so far. The others I found a hassle camping with as you had to pack up everything to go sight seeing not to mention the mpg wasn't very good. Scared me too much having to take the camper off the truck... always worried something would go wrong and the whole thing would fall over.

The current trailer isn't perfect for what I foresee needing for longer trips in the future - I want a trailer 1' longer with a front dinette. :-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #19

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Over the last 26 years, 3 pop-ups (1 new), micro-minnie MH, Class C, 5th wheel and travel trailer (new). None were perfect but truly I loved the pop-ups because they were so much better than a tent but so open and as I thought about this, I wondered how "confining" a fiberglass TT would be although my thought was to get one of the smallest (bedroom) and spend my time outside. I do not like to be inside but if I have a door and window open, I can stand confinement. I totally understand that for anyone doing this over many years, needs and desires change.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #20

Name: Laura
Trailer: Winnebago
Iowa
Good Question, it makes me start counting
1 Old used Hilo, wore it out
2 Used Holiday Rambler, brakes didn't work
3 Used Coachman, too heavy for Tow Vehicle
4 New KZ, Too much outside air infiltration,
5 New Tab, ceiling to low, & kept falling apart
6 Wildcat 5th wheel, too expensive to keep up and tow (now for sale)
7 Aliner Sport, loved it if only one of us was in it. Just sold it
8 NEXT ONE WILL BE MOLDED FG. HOPEFULLY OUR LAST ONE
Laura June is offline   Reply With Quote