How many yards? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2006, 02:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Ok.. for all you seamtresss' out there.... how many yard of material would it take to do a 5th wheel for curtains? I dont sew much. I did make some for the 16ft but just used the old ones for a pattern..... I had way to much left over material and dont want to buy more than I need.... I plan on doing this project sometime this winter....
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 10:52 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape
Christi, I think anyone would need a bit more info in order to answer your question -- how many windows and how big are they. Essentially though, you need to decide how full you want them -- 1 1/2 times or 2 times the width. You also need to know how wide your fabric is. Since you asked in yards (not metres) I will assume that your fabric width is in inches -- likely 36 or 45 inches? So, if your window is 3ft wide by 2 ft deep (just as an example) and your fabric is 45 inches wide, and you want double fullness then to figure out the number of panels you need you would take double the 36 inches = 72 inches. Divide that by the width of the fabric (45 inches) and you can see that you will need a little less than 2 full widths of fabric. So, if your length is the 2 feet, and you want to allow some extra for hems -- assume an extra 6 inches -- then you will need 2 1/2 feet x 2 of fabric. That will leave some left over on the side unless you wanted your curtains really, really full. Hope that makes sense. So, the yardage depends on how many panels you need for each window x the length of the window (plus allowance for hems, rod pockets etc.)

BTW, have you considered mini-blinds. We have them on our trailer and really like them, they pull up right out of the way and are really need looking.

Good luck.

Rosemary
Rosemary Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote