how much damage will i do to truck or camper if i leave them hitched up 4 days ... - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-20-2013, 09:37 AM   #1

Name: KAYAK
Trailer: 2007 casita freedom deluxe-2013 tacoma
New Hampshire
how much damage will i do to truck or camper if i leave them hitched up 4 days ...

in a row

they match up about as perfect as they can and camper bubble things say it is level when we drive.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #2

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
You will do no damage to the Taco. Remember to detach the trailer plug from the tow vehicle when the engine is not running. I believe you have experience towing a camping trailer and will remember. Some, me included, might not remember when part of the more customary unhitching/setup protocol is eliminated.

jack

Old 05-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #3

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
The scamp fifth wheel has been hitched to my pickup for 5-6 weeks.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:47 PM   #4

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Weight

[QUOTE=Jared J;388858]The scamp fifth wheel has been hitched to my pickup for 5-6 weeks.[/QUOT

When you leave your trailer attached to your tow vehicle for long periods of time ,do you lower the front jacks (stabilizers) to take some of the trailer weight off of your tow vehicle's suspension?
Old 05-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #5

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I think it would be a good idea... save your springs and shocks.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:26 PM   #6

Kansas
I don't put the jacks down. It barely squats the pickup, it still sits fairly high in the back, not enough weight to worry about. If it was a mid size pickup or bigger trailer, I might consider it.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #7

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Assuming that the truck is within its rated load limits, they can be left hooked up indefinitely.

I wouldn't put stabilizers down, because I don't know what would be under what what forces in that case, but I know everything is okay without the stabilizers.

The point of unplugging is to keep the trailer from draining the truck's battery. There is no need to unplug unless your charging setup has no shutoff relay or diode isolation system.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #8

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
With the current combination of our particular van (chevy 1500) and the Parkliner @~2400 at scales...the 10 ply sidewall tires on the van don't stray from their normal sidewall curve. So i would have no issue with our set up pulling into camp, putting down the rear stab.jacks and calling it good. & Depending on level, utilize the BAL leveler and possibly the BAL single axle chock.

: ) Your millage may vary
Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #9

Name: KAYAK
Trailer: 2007 casita freedom deluxe-2013 tacoma
New Hampshire
as far as i know i dont have any stabilizer jacks. front or rear. you're not talking about the thing you crank down to the driveway when it is unhitched are you...sorry about not knowing what it is called. are you saying to crank that down so it holds some weight...even tho i am hitched up?

i have seen it said both ways on here to unplug the elec and to not unplug so i am glad brian explained why:

"There is no need to unplug unless your charging setup has no shutoff relay or diode isolation system."

but of course i have no idea if i have that or not. how would i know? i never in all my pulling days unhooked the elec. i drove horses to a show. kept the rig hitched up and plugged together for 10 hrs or so. then drove home. i never remember having to undo that. and i never did it to this trailer with my full size p/u(for 2 yrs) until one day it did drain the truck battery and the guy who fixed it told me not to plug it in when the engine was off. the battery was 6 yrs old then so i thought it was just old and thats why it happened.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:10 PM   #10

Kansas
Your pickup might have a relay tha t stops the power when off. You just check at the vehicle side of the trailer plug with a meter on the ground And positive pins, key on and off.

I was going to install an isolator, and never got around to it. When I was wiring the trailer, I discovered the pickup shuts it off anyway, if the key is off.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:52 AM   #11

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
Depending on level, utilize the BAL leveler and possibly the BAL single axle chock.
Yes, although I probably wouldn't use stabilizers, shimming up the low side wheel for reasonable left-to-right level makes sense to me and would make no difference to the tug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
When I was wiring the trailer, I discovered the pickup shuts it off anyway, if the key is off.
That's normal for factory trailer wiring (in those vehicles which have factory trailer wiring available), and for well-designed aftermarket installations. Mine has a relay which shuts off the connection to the trailer when the engine is not running - I installed it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:23 AM   #12

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
I here I thought it funny that it runs my camper battery down if I don't unplug. Though it is pretty obvious when you get in the car and the heater fan is blowing.

Is the relay anything special or is it pretty generic?

I would put the stabilizer jacks down so the trailer doesn't move on its suspension as you walk around. Not for the weight or level, just to keep it from rocking and such.

Jason