how much did you use your camper this year? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-09-2011, 01:43 PM   #15

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
As per usual, the Boler went to the Monroe (Wa) antique auto parts swap meet for 3 days (2 nights) and, as always, that's the only time it has been out of the driveway. It never gets more than 4 nights a year of use.

Very Unusually, we camped our way back from Texas with our "new" Bigfoot 21, getting approx 20 days in it. (which was WAY too much for us!) It will go to Monroe for the fall swap meet, and to the Bigfoot factory later in October to get a few things installed (estimate about 2 -3 days away).

I doubt the Bigfoot will ever go anywhere except to Monroe (spring & fall meets), and back to Bonneville salt flats once a year for a week.

All future travel plans will involve car plus hotels

Old 09-09-2011, 03:42 PM   #16

Name: Dave (and/or John)
Trailer: Scamp 16 SD std layout 6
Georgia
Registry
25 nights spent in the Scamp so far this year. We were able to camp every month except May, and have trips planned for each month the rest of the year.
Longest trip will be in Oct, from GA to Ontario, Canada and back.
One of the benefits of living next to FL is that we can still camp in DEC and JAN, although we might have to drain and protect our lines from freezing each time we come back.
I use my Scamp MUCH MORE than I ever used my pop-up camper! Only 2 more years til retirement!

radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:00 PM   #17

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
20 nights so far........ with a week trip to Michigan planned later this month........also since I basically kept trailer heated to work inside of it this past winter, think I'm going to TRY to camp at least on weekend each month this winter...notice TRY
Old 09-09-2011, 04:24 PM   #18

Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
Registry
by the end of september it'll be 99 nights this year! have had a blast and wish it was more!
Old 09-09-2011, 04:34 PM   #19

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
2012 Trip

This is our general route for 2012/2013. Some 10-11,000 miles over 11 months. This will be our longest trip in any 12 month period. Usually we don't travel in the summer except for trips to Alaska or Newfoundland.

Hopefully we'll run into some of our Fiberglass friends at rallies around the country.
Attached Thumbnails
2012 Mapa.JPG  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:39 PM   #20

Name: Adrian
Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico
Can't say for each year, we have done over a month some years straight. But this year has been a poor one for use.

After what seemed an endless summer of set backs, such as Lincoln Nat'l Forest being closed due to drought conditions, fires in other parts of the state, family obligations, we were able to go camping in our Scamp. We left Sunday, 28 August and got back 6 Sept. Therefore, we used the Scamp 10 days so far this year. Came home with a cold or allergies.

But we did fly to Anchorage, camped for a week in Alaska in a rented A-Liner, spend an additional two weeks there visiting our 3 granddaughters and their mom & dad, plus doing some sight seeing. Did several trips to Tucson to be with our grandson & his mom, will his dad was gone on work. Went to Albuquerque to see the Zoo & Aquarium with the same grandson & our daughter. Drove to SoCal to visit my wife's mom for a week & went to see the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach one day with our daughter & grandson.

My hope is to make up for some lost camping in the Scamp in the time left of this year. Maybe the west coast to see the sights again but in a different season? Or just see some of New Mexico in a different light.

Normally, we do more long trips, such as to Yellowstone, but this year just didn't get to.

Norm & Ginny, WoW! You guys put some miles on and time in your Scamp. Good for you. I would like to take the Scamp up to Alaska & spend some time exploring there, a little torn with the idea of doing so considering the many miles often on dirt and/or rough roads to get there; plus the cost of fuel. Not sure what the final decision will be. It is so nice to fly up in just a few hours time. We do have a base to stay with our son & his family.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:52 PM   #21

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
This is our general route for 2012/2013. Some 10-11,000 miles over 11 months. This will be our longest trip in any 12 month period. Usually we don't travel in the summer except for trips to Alaska or Newfoundland.

Hopefully we'll run into some of our Fiberglass friends at rallies around the country.
Looks like you're going right by the Scamp factory,stop in if you get a chance especially if you want to get anything... Shipping is awful nowadays. Maybe one of the new style door gaskets?
Old 09-09-2011, 04:55 PM   #22

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Not enough to justify the cost of it.The first night in the previous owners yard and the two nights coming from Cali to Texas, a couple of nights in Texas when the wifey was being a little moody and the longest trip it took was actually 1500 miles riding on the utility trailer from Texas to Indiana, 1500 miles and it never touched the road.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:40 PM   #23
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
Not enough to justify the cost of it.The first night in the previous owners yard and the two nights coming from Cali to Texas, a couple of nights in Texas when the wifey was being a little moody and the longest trip it took was actually 1500 miles riding on the utility trailer from Texas to Indiana, 1500 miles and it never touched the road.
Hey Greg, I just went to recreation.gov. Looks like there are some pretty nice NFS campgrounds there in Indiana and it ain't snowing yet. Raz
Old 09-09-2011, 05:44 PM   #24

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
This is my second year owning a travel trailer, and I spent 35 days in my Bigfoot. I'm hoping to do some more trips before December 31.

I wanted to take it to BC, Canada last month, but my husband insisted on staying in hotels. Now that we understand what is involved crossing the border, I plan to camp there next year.

A companion question to this thread: how much $$ did you spend on your trailers this year? Between pre-trip maintenance work and after trip repair work (something always stops working!) lots. I really have to learn how to repair things on my own ...
Old 09-09-2011, 05:48 PM   #25

Florida
Scamp Factory and Long Trip Cost

Floyd, We definitely plan to stop at the Scamp Factory, Lil Snoozy and maybe the Casita factory.

We love factory tours.

Adrian,

Flying to Alaska is a perfectly fine thing to do. The down side is that you miss everything between where ever and there and the drive to Alaska is at least as good as visiting Alaska. You know that's pretty much the case for any trip. Destinations are great and so is the trip there if you take your time.

The cost of a trip to Alaska is not trivial, but if you're a traveler like us it can be affordable. We'll average about 1,000 miles a month while towing on this year's trip, about 45 gallons of gas a month. We'll probably use another 45 gallons exploring each month. This amounts to about $10 a day.

I would say that standing on the shore of Klaune Lake in the Yukon or driving the Skagway Road make the cost seem trivial. I think for most people it's not the gas money but rather the time, or their partner, or whatever..... It is certain that our journeys have been worth the cost and often less costly then staying home.

Everyday I'm reminded of somewhere we've been, both of us are now memory loaded. So often our minds are in the midst of our previous trips. We never thought we'd like to revisit spots we've been to but now they're sort of like old friends, waiting quietly for us to return.

As to trailer damage, it's not too tough to protect the trailer from your own 'stone kick ups'. As well we just take it easy in the gravel sections. This year our plan is to extend our mud flaps to virtual ground level. If this is not enough covering the lower portion of the trailer during rough sections is possible.

We feel so lucky....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-09-2011, 06:01 PM   #26

Name: Kim
Trailer: 2012 Casita 17' SD (on order)
Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

WOW! My dream trip. As soon as I retire, I'm going to circumnavigate the US.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:27 PM   #27

Florida
Trailer Maintenance

I think most of the costs of owning a trailer are there whether you travel or not. There's simply a yearly cost and it's mostly a fixed cost like trailer insurance, taxes and fees, depreciation,.....

Our year to year maintenance costs have been low. The biggest single item has been tires. You tyically don't wear tires out, they simply should be replaced after 5 years.

From year to year my maintenance consists of painting the frame and bottom of the trailer each year ($30), replacing the tires every five years (averaging to $70 a year), general cleaning ($30).

Over 11 years we've had the following failures: one water heater on a 25 year old trailer ($250), one propane pressure regulator ($30), one refrigerator thermocouple ($25), a thermostat ($10), a number of outside chair replacements ($100), one water pump failure ($60).

Really not too much and mostly things I can do myself.

Our bigger costs are probably trailer enhancements, the additions of features to support our long term travel plans. I would guess that they typically amount to less than a $1000 a year. Ginny thinks it's a good investment because it keeps me busy and gives her a chance to visit with family during the summer.

One thing we do is to never shut off our trailer. Even when we're home for months like this summer we do not shut the trailer off. We always keep it powered and everything running.

I don't believe maintenance is a significant cost issue but rather the direct cost of travel is the bigger cost.

Our extensive traveling reduces costs in other areas. We eat less. Our health is better and our stress is less. We buy less stuff. We purchase less clothing. We get virtually no magazines. We do less entertaining. We have one less vehicle.... we are really happier, more stimulated and have made many new friends.

We love RVing....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-09-2011, 06:45 PM   #28

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
We bought our Egg Camper in the spring. Went out the first time for overnight. Went out July 4 for three nights, went to some friends' place overnight when our power was out at home. Then out for 16 days on a 5150 mile trip from Michigan through Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, a corner of Utah, across the top of Colorado and back to Michigan. We expect to go out for a few days late next week and again in October. Would have used it more but those darn doctor appointments are and have been spaced just right (or just wrong) to prevent more use. Until we got this, it had been years since we just went camping. We've snowbirded every winter since 1994 and travelled every summer but we don't really consider that camping. Did that with pickup campers and trailers.