How much is too much?? - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-05-2003, 01:11 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
How much is too much??

This is my first post as I just sorta stumbled onto this site....My wife, 4 kids and I are looking at a 1979 19' BIGGER (two piece fiberglass trailer similar to a Scamp) and were wonering what it would be worth?? Obviously no leaks, sleeps six, three wayfridge, stove, shower, f/a/furnace, and it's actually in really good condition overall....not perfect though. The door hinges to the outside need a little work as do the fiberglass front window cover hinges. And ther's no screen for the back window... other than that it's in good shape....
Any ideas on the value of this. Asking price is $4500 cdn. If it were not fiberglass I'd say no way but this is a really cool design!! Virtually leak proof top to bottom. Any thoughts would be appreciated!!

Old 06-05-2003, 01:26 PM   #2

a *Bigger* haven't heard of that one yet. looks like Scamp, but 19ft. Did you get a picture? this could be a great find, IF it's one of the fiberglass wonders.

Old 06-05-2003, 01:30 PM   #3

Not an expert...

But I paid $3,800 US for my 1977 Trillium 4500 15 footer a few weeks ago. I later found on another site that the seller paid $3,500 (people come and go, but forum posts are forever!). At the same time I bought mine, there was a dealer advertising that the same model 1980 version had a retail value of $4,995 and he was sacrificing for $4,500 or something.

A lot of people here have paid much less, but usually needed to spend a lot of time and money on restoration and mods. Mine is alleged to be in mint condition, but it is still 600 miles away for a few more weeks until I can get out to pick it up. Seems to me that average for an older 13 or 15 footer in US runs about $3,000-3,500 plus or minus depending on condition and age.

So, if it is in good condition, seems to me that $4,500 C is pretty good for a 19 footer. However, prices in Canada for these things tend to be much lower than in the US because so many were made there. A lot fo people seem to have paid $1500-2500 Canadaian for the same trailer I just bought for $3800 US.:bh On the other hand, I was in a hurry to buy mine and the seller has been kind enough to wait on deposits and payments until I am ready to make them.
Old 06-05-2003, 01:32 PM   #4

re: pix

Actually I don't have anypix...I do know it was made in Winnipeg Canada. I'm sure however that thefibergalss is one piece for the top half and one piece for the bottom half. The fiberglass wraps underneath like an old jaguar and is moled for the fender wells too.
I'll bet if you closed the door this thing would float!! :) I forgat to mention that it's a tendem ( that's four wheels instead of two ....right??)
Old 06-05-2003, 01:41 PM   #5

tandem??, wow, that sounds like a Bigfoot or a Fiber Stream (can't forget Benita's). those are nice and roomy and used fiberglass ones are hard to find. and like JR says if it doesn't need much work. does it have a bath? that makes it worth about 1000+ more then without.
Old 06-05-2003, 01:46 PM   #6

bath.....

Sorry 'about that....yes there is a shower, toilet, hot water tank and a 30 amp breaker system....
Old 06-05-2003, 01:48 PM   #7

The biggest complaint those with kids have about molded fiberglass trailers is the sleeping capacity. The fact that you can sleep all of you is a big plus. With travel trailers, the 13-footers are stressed when more than two take up occupancy. The larger 16-17 footers complement 3 or 4 - if two are small fry. Even the larger trailers start maxing out when the kids are bona fide young adults or exceed 100 pounds in weight. Some of those sleeping 4 had to give up the bath for bunk space.

If you can sleep all of you without someone being on the floor or on a questionable elevated bunk AND you still have private toilet facilities, go for it. You won't have any problem reselling if you decide its not for you. The fact that it is in good condition AND has dual axles are additional selling points.
Old 06-05-2003, 01:55 PM   #8

cool....

Like I said....just happened by the site and thought I'd put in a post. I'm a member of a couple of other bbs"s(word????) and the only other that is a fasst or busy as this one is the machinist's bbs....
Thanx all and please....keep 'em comin':wave :wave
Old 06-05-2003, 02:46 PM   #9

Buy IT.Buy IT. Buy IT.If you don't want it give them my name.

:wave
Old 06-05-2003, 03:20 PM   #10

good decisions

Well my dad always said "be decisive.....lack of backbone is what's killin' this country".....thanx to reply's from here in the last 2 1/2 hours and a honest salesman in Red Deer Alberta (yes....I said HONEST!!) We've did done da deal....The lady was even nice enough to throw in a canoe that needs a little tlc.....
I'll be keeping an eye on the bbs to let everyone know about our camping exploits at the kookanoose this summer and for many summers to come....thanx again,
Shorty:banana
Old 06-05-2003, 04:21 PM   #11

Dave - I'm an hour late and a looney short, but I was going to say it sounds like a buy! If it is indeed in pretty good (I didn't say great) condition, it's a deal at that price. You may notice that except for Bigfoot, most glass eggs top out at 16-17'. A 19' unit is a rarety, and would be a hot commodity. Most of us have never heard of a Bigger (appropriate name, though), so get us some pictures!!! And, Michael, it sounds like we need to add another brand to the list on the homepage!
Old 06-05-2003, 05:20 PM   #12

soon

Hopefully I'll get some pix this weekend or early next week...as soon as I get them I'll post them here.......:chased
Old 06-05-2003, 09:31 PM   #13

Bigger

:E :E