How much skill is required - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-25-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
melissab's Avatar
 
Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Posts: 1,372
Hi All! I'm in awe of ya'll's talent when it comes to customizing, modifying and refurbishing these diamonds in the rough. My question is where did such talent come from? Life experiences? Classes? Mentors? Natural skill? I would love to rescue an unloved egg and make it ours but we just dont have the knowledge this would require. Hubby used to be an auto mechanic so he is good with engines, machines etc but cabinetry, fiberglass work, electrical, plumbing, flooring etc. we have zero knowledge of. Well, hubby can replace a household toilet, install a ceiling fan, replace light switches/outlets etc. so those are minor skills. He hasnt shocked himself or burned anything down yet, lol. I realize some folks restore/build hot rods and others have experience with boats but surely not everybody who has restored one of these has worked in these fields. Where do you learn? I've never seen a Fiberglass class, lol.

Thanks for any insight and keep those pix coming! I spend hours pouring over the Mods and restorations with amazement.

Melissa
__________________

__________________
Melissa in Florida
2016 Honda Odyssey
melissab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:58 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Larry&Carrie's Avatar
 
Name: Larry
Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Washington
Posts: 553
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
Hi All! I'm in awe of ya'll's talent when it comes to customizing, modifying and refurbishing these diamonds in the rough. My question is where did such talent come from? Life experiences? Classes? Mentors? Natural skill? I would love to rescue an unloved egg and make it ours but we just dont have the knowledge this would require. Hubby used to be an auto mechanic so he is good with engines, machines etc but cabinetry, fiberglass work, electrical, plumbing, flooring etc. we have zero knowledge of. Well, hubby can replace a household toilet, install a ceiling fan, replace light switches/outlets etc. so those are minor skills. He hasnt shocked himself or burned anything down yet, lol. I realize some folks restore/build hot rods and others have experience with boats but surely not everybody who has restored one of these has worked in these fields. Where do you learn? I've never seen a Fiberglass class, lol.

Thanks for any insight and keep those pix coming! I spend hours pouring over the Mods and restorations with amazement.

Melissa
Shucks-- if your husband has the talent to be a mechanic, he has the skills needed.... He can pick up the rest of it as he goes along. Besides, someone here on the forum will be always to talk both of you thru the minor challenges. Go for it!!!! Larry
__________________

__________________
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:09 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Chester Taje's Avatar
 
Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
Posts: 4,897
I agree
__________________
Retired Underground Coal Miner.
Served in Canadian Army (1PPCLI)
Chester Taje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:52 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Kevin K's Avatar
 
Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Posts: 3,052
Registry
If you have a problem or question, just ask here. Many people will help.
__________________
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:24 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,432
I'm not sure skill is as much a factor as tenacity, the ability to see things through. Most of the stuff is doable with common sense and the willingness to learn through research and reading. Just about anything you wish to tackle has been done by at least one other person on these forums. I find if I do some things like pulling and replacing windows (sealing) for instance, it not only empowers me to try something else, but it keeps money in my pocket that I may use for things I CAN'T do... like welding.
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:13 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Emily R.'s Avatar
 
Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft (Fluffer-Nugget)
Posts: 365
Registry
Quote:
I'm not sure skill is as much a factor as tenacity, the ability to see things through. Most of the stuff is doable with common sense and the willingness to learn through research and reading. Just about anything you wish to tackle has been done by at least one other person on these forums. I find if I do some things like pulling and replacing windows (sealing) for instance, it not only empowers me to try something else, but it keeps money in my pocket that I may use for things I CAN'T do... like welding.
I'm with you....Jump in with two feet and learn as you go!
I tried welding once....ONCE was enough!
__________________
Emily R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:44 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Lizbeth's Avatar
 
Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Posts: 2,027
Registry
Go for it Melissa, you will do fine! It sounds like your hubby has quite a few skills and I'm sure you do too. You can learn what you don't know as you go along. That's true of most things in life not just fiberglass trailers.
__________________
1979 Boler B1300 | 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel | 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel | We officially have a collection!
Lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:31 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
pjanits's Avatar
 
Name: Pete
Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Tennessee
Posts: 881
Quote:
I'm with you....Jump in with two feet and learn as you go!
I tried welding once....ONCE was enough!
I still haven't mastered welding, being in electronics for so many years makes you automatically jump when you see a spark. But I'm determined to get it right.
__________________
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:46 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
melissab's Avatar
 
Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Posts: 1,372
Well I can knit, does that count?? ROFL

Quote:
Go for it Melissa, you will do fine! It sounds like your hubby has quite a few skills and I'm sure you do too. You can learn what you don't know as you go along. That's true of most things in life not just fiberglass trailers.
__________________
Melissa in Florida
2016 Honda Odyssey
melissab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:39 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Posts: 1,498
Quote:
Well I can knit, does that count?? ROFL
Why not knit yourself a fiberglass trailer? You can buy spools of fiberglass.
__________________
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:28 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Posts: 1,111
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
If you could post some pictures of your trailer, it would be fun to see what types of mods you have planned or need to do. Fiberglass damage can be repaired, frames can be welded, wiring can be pulled, carpet can be installed. For most of us, we learned as we went, through trial and error and the help of friends on this site.
__________________
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:05 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
MikeCM's Avatar
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: Actively shopping for a project, again.
Posts: 192
Melissa, I agree with Donna, try a few simpler tasks and build up to the harder jobs. If uncomfortable with things like welding and propane lines, hire an expert. I too hired a welder. If skills were required I would be in tough shape, I have none at all related to rebuilding a fiberglass camper. I'm a computer geek at heart. I picked off a few small jobs, asked for advise when needed, stumbled on a few tasks, but kept going. Just spent my third weekend in my little Burro, and loving every minute of it. Managed to keep warm and dry. After 18 months all
I have left is plumbing, propane, and cushion covers. I feel that I can do the plumbing, am willing to try and sew, but not even willing to think about propane. Relax, take your time, seek input and advise, but most of all have fun.

Mike
__________________
Former 83 Burro Owner (destroyed in fire)
Looking for a new Fiberglass Project Trailer in New England.
MikeCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:12 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
melissab's Avatar
 
Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Posts: 1,372
Hi Kevin, We haven't actually purchased a trailer yet. We are trying to decide how much of a project we can take on ourselves so we know what condition of trailer to buy. Hubby is thinking we should get a trailer that requires no fiberglass work as he hasnt got a clue where to begin for that. We do have several boat repair places here in FL so if it was a small repair we could take it in. Hubby is willing to try plumbing, electrical, flooring, upholstery, and replacement of cabinet doors. We wouldnt attempt propane. We dont have any tools other than basics like a drill, circular saw etc. We also will have to rent a storage unit to store/work on the trailer as our HOA wouldnt allow such things.
I'm thinking maybe we should start with something that just needs cosmetic fixes. Decisions Decisions, lol. I've never even seen a FG Trailer here in Central Florida so I think we'll wind up traveling. We'll have to purchase sight unseen other than photos when we do get ready to make the plunge. Thanks for all the encouragement e'body.

Melissa


Quote:
If you could post some pictures of your trailer, it would be fun to see what types of mods you have planned or need to do. Fiberglass damage can be repaired, frames can be welded, wiring can be pulled, carpet can be installed. For most of us, we learned as we went, through trial and error and the help of friends on this site.
__________________
Melissa in Florida
2016 Honda Odyssey
melissab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:53 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Sandra Lair's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
Posts: 379
Hubby & I are not very handy, but I was able to make new curtains with no sewing skills and he pulled out the original carpet & put down carpet tiles. We've done lots of simple cosmetic stuff, like painting the cabinet doors. For the harder tasks, we've hired friends with better skills. We also had some fiberglass work done at a local body shop. It's good to know your limitations!

Sandra
__________________

__________________
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Using a WDH rated higher than required kevin61 Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 9 05-02-2010 07:24 AM
13ft Boler TLC required $ Robin G Classified Archives 4 04-17-2009 04:45 PM
Dry Weight Required Dallas, B Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 3 06-05-2008 10:02 PM
Maintenance Required? Art Davis General Chat 9 03-09-2008 05:17 PM

» Trailer Showcase

Rucio

jen b

Lil Egg

Ranger
» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.