How much skill is required - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-25-2009, 07:30 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Hi All! I'm in awe of ya'll's talent when it comes to customizing, modifying and refurbishing these diamonds in the rough. My question is where did such talent come from? Life experiences? Classes? Mentors? Natural skill? I would love to rescue an unloved egg and make it ours but we just dont have the knowledge this would require. Hubby used to be an auto mechanic so he is good with engines, machines etc but cabinetry, fiberglass work, electrical, plumbing, flooring etc. we have zero knowledge of. Well, hubby can replace a household toilet, install a ceiling fan, replace light switches/outlets etc. so those are minor skills. He hasnt shocked himself or burned anything down yet, lol. I realize some folks restore/build hot rods and others have experience with boats but surely not everybody who has restored one of these has worked in these fields. Where do you learn? I've never seen a Fiberglass class, lol.

Thanks for any insight and keep those pix coming! I spend hours pouring over the Mods and restorations with amazement.

Melissa
Old 10-25-2009, 07:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
Hi All! I'm in awe of ya'll's talent when it comes to customizing, modifying and refurbishing these diamonds in the rough. My question is where did such talent come from? Life experiences? Classes? Mentors? Natural skill? I would love to rescue an unloved egg and make it ours but we just dont have the knowledge this would require. Hubby used to be an auto mechanic so he is good with engines, machines etc but cabinetry, fiberglass work, electrical, plumbing, flooring etc. we have zero knowledge of. Well, hubby can replace a household toilet, install a ceiling fan, replace light switches/outlets etc. so those are minor skills. He hasnt shocked himself or burned anything down yet, lol. I realize some folks restore/build hot rods and others have experience with boats but surely not everybody who has restored one of these has worked in these fields. Where do you learn? I've never seen a Fiberglass class, lol.

Thanks for any insight and keep those pix coming! I spend hours pouring over the Mods and restorations with amazement.

Melissa
Shucks-- if your husband has the talent to be a mechanic, he has the skills needed.... He can pick up the rest of it as he goes along. Besides, someone here on the forum will be always to talk both of you thru the minor challenges. Go for it!!!! Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:09 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I agree
Old 10-26-2009, 04:52 AM   #4

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
If you have a problem or question, just ask here. Many people will help.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:24 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm not sure skill is as much a factor as tenacity, the ability to see things through. Most of the stuff is doable with common sense and the willingness to learn through research and reading. Just about anything you wish to tackle has been done by at least one other person on these forums. I find if I do some things like pulling and replacing windows (sealing) for instance, it not only empowers me to try something else, but it keeps money in my pocket that I may use for things I CAN'T do... like welding.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:13 AM   #6

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft (Fluffer-Nugget)
Registry
Quote:
I'm not sure skill is as much a factor as tenacity, the ability to see things through. Most of the stuff is doable with common sense and the willingness to learn through research and reading. Just about anything you wish to tackle has been done by at least one other person on these forums. I find if I do some things like pulling and replacing windows (sealing) for instance, it not only empowers me to try something else, but it keeps money in my pocket that I may use for things I CAN'T do... like welding.
I'm with you....Jump in with two feet and learn as you go!
I tried welding once....ONCE was enough!
Emily R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:44 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Go for it Melissa, you will do fine! It sounds like your hubby has quite a few skills and I'm sure you do too. You can learn what you don't know as you go along. That's true of most things in life not just fiberglass trailers.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:31 PM   #8

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Quote:
I'm with you....Jump in with two feet and learn as you go!
I tried welding once....ONCE was enough!
I still haven't mastered welding, being in electronics for so many years makes you automatically jump when you see a spark. But I'm determined to get it right.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:46 PM   #9

Well I can knit, does that count?? ROFL

Quote:
Go for it Melissa, you will do fine! It sounds like your hubby has quite a few skills and I'm sure you do too. You can learn what you don't know as you go along. That's true of most things in life not just fiberglass trailers.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:39 PM   #10

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Quote:
Well I can knit, does that count?? ROFL
Why not knit yourself a fiberglass trailer? You can buy spools of fiberglass.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:28 PM   #11

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
If you could post some pictures of your trailer, it would be fun to see what types of mods you have planned or need to do. Fiberglass damage can be repaired, frames can be welded, wiring can be pulled, carpet can be installed. For most of us, we learned as we went, through trial and error and the help of friends on this site.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:05 PM   #12

Trailer: Tent
Melissa, I agree with Donna, try a few simpler tasks and build up to the harder jobs. If uncomfortable with things like welding and propane lines, hire an expert. I too hired a welder. If skills were required I would be in tough shape, I have none at all related to rebuilding a fiberglass camper. I'm a computer geek at heart. I picked off a few small jobs, asked for advise when needed, stumbled on a few tasks, but kept going. Just spent my third weekend in my little Burro, and loving every minute of it. Managed to keep warm and dry. After 18 months all
I have left is plumbing, propane, and cushion covers. I feel that I can do the plumbing, am willing to try and sew, but not even willing to think about propane. Relax, take your time, seek input and advise, but most of all have fun.

Mike
Old 10-26-2009, 06:12 PM   #13

Hi Kevin, We haven't actually purchased a trailer yet. We are trying to decide how much of a project we can take on ourselves so we know what condition of trailer to buy. Hubby is thinking we should get a trailer that requires no fiberglass work as he hasnt got a clue where to begin for that. We do have several boat repair places here in FL so if it was a small repair we could take it in. Hubby is willing to try plumbing, electrical, flooring, upholstery, and replacement of cabinet doors. We wouldnt attempt propane. We dont have any tools other than basics like a drill, circular saw etc. We also will have to rent a storage unit to store/work on the trailer as our HOA wouldnt allow such things.
I'm thinking maybe we should start with something that just needs cosmetic fixes. Decisions Decisions, lol. I've never even seen a FG Trailer here in Central Florida so I think we'll wind up traveling. We'll have to purchase sight unseen other than photos when we do get ready to make the plunge. Thanks for all the encouragement e'body.

Melissa

Quote:
If you could post some pictures of your trailer, it would be fun to see what types of mods you have planned or need to do. Fiberglass damage can be repaired, frames can be welded, wiring can be pulled, carpet can be installed. For most of us, we learned as we went, through trial and error and the help of friends on this site.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:53 PM   #14

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
Hubby & I are not very handy, but I was able to make new curtains with no sewing skills and he pulled out the original carpet & put down carpet tiles. We've done lots of simple cosmetic stuff, like painting the cabinet doors. For the harder tasks, we've hired friends with better skills. We also had some fiberglass work done at a local body shop. It's good to know your limitations!

Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:33 PM   #15

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
. . . For the harder tasks, we've hired friends with better skills. We also had some fiberglass work done at a local body shop. It's good to know your limitations! . . .
That's a very good point. Being realistic and knowing your limitations are two very important skills. Case in point: I am learning how to weld and needed some work done on the mounting brackets for our trailer axle. Instead of doing the work myself I took the work to our local trailer shop: I'd rather know someone with experience welded the axle and lift brackets on correctly than possibly do it wrong and damage the axle or have it come loose while I'm towing.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:13 PM   #16

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Quote:
That's a very good point. Being realistic and knowing your limitations are two very important skills. Case in point: I am learning how to weld and needed some work done on the mounting brackets for our trailer axle. Instead of doing the work myself I took the work to our local trailer shop: I'd rather know someone with experience welded the axle and lift brackets on correctly than possibly do it wrong and damage the axle or have it come loose while I'm towing.
I'm shocked . . . . . . . There's something Peter [b]can't do!
I'm sure when you're up to speed your welding will be as well done as all the rest of your mods.
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:41 PM   #17

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
I remember when I towed the shell to my ranchero home 2and1/2 years ago and the looks and remarks I got then. It was hard for anyone to see the finished project, they struggled to say anything constructive or encouraging. They no longer do,and alot try to buy it.
so to you i'd say......you hafta want it...the rest will fall in place

Bruce

Click image for larger version

Name:	TEST3a_1_.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	24665
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:04 AM   #18

Trailer: *Percheron
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Manley
Quote:

hey donna my daughter meg has been terrified of fire her whole life i wanted her to have rough it skills so at age 14?15? on 1 of our woods walks[turtles, huge carp, deer,FLOWERS,wild things to eat,[no way to yum in 8 seconds]
i decided to teach her how to make,use fire.2 hours of holding a bic lighter and being angry at herself later she did it on the first try my patientice was rewarded.hot food, warm toes,she was so proud.and so was i!!!
the other day my little girl [well always little to dad ya know.]she was proud to bring home her first perfect weld her ag class started her on stick then mig with gas.so my timid little girl now owns and commands a 1 ton horse AND throws fire and melts steel.. soooooo,harbor freight flux core mig 100.00 auto darkening helmet [the only way to go welding light makes the glass go dark]50.00 heavy long gloves 20.00[you can get good ones cheaper but not with a pretty gold horsey] now this rig will not final weld everthing but none will.but it will do very heavy welding on multiple passes.i have used it on horse wagon many times.
now i dont know about you but i cant walk out of a welding shop for 100 bucks.
after i got this rig we had one job that was way to heavy for anything but a big lincoln stick welder.
so we got the job prepped clean and tacked together with our mig took it to the welding shop they did all the final welding.and charged me 50.00 talk about savings.that 1 job paid for all our equipment fun?pride?the look in the shop owners eyes? priceless!!! a welder is a pencil.a right angle grinder is just an eraser.and when the bead looks pretty you did it right.
the worst you can do is learn to tell when someone else did the job right so go have fun.
Jim Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:57 AM   #19

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
that's for sure! great people here are always willing to help. I know you'll surprise yourself with what you can do.
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:05 AM   #20

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
sweet ride Bruce.
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote