How much work is towing a 5th wheel? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2012, 04:17 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
My favorite mod was installing the Atwood electric motor on the landing gear. I used the drill method for a while, but the "push the switch" method is even nicer! Because I'm driving what Toyota calls a "double cab" I can't see the ball from the driver's seat but use a magnetic wand (Magnetic Hitchin' Rods - Qworks Corp HR01C - Hitches & Hitch Bars - Camping World) on the ball which lines up with the center line of the hitch in the mirror. My hitch needs to be 42" high to clear the top of the ball - a measuring tape is part of my minimum equipment checklist!
www.justfinding.blogspot.com
John & BJ S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:51 PM   #22

Name: Kenny
Trailer: 16' Standard
Ohio
Registry
I like the look of the hitch Steve Hamel linked. When it is available I may want to adapt mine to it. I would like to be able to remove the mount when needed, particularly if I want to sell the truck!
Kenny in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #23

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Actually I purchased a used Reese hitch, then went and bought 5/8 stock cut to fit across the entire top of the hitch. I then had the holes drilled in the steel and enlarged the ones on the top of the Reese (you can see them in the pic not being used) and bolted it down with #8 strength bolts. I have about $250 into mine. The new ones (now available)from Scamp are about $500. So far I have about 3k miles on it and it is wonderful. My Colorado is a 4 door crewcab but I can still see the ball just fine. I do want to install a motor on the landing gear and would love to hear more about the process and products used.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #24

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
When I see the title, "How much work is it..." I start to think, hmm we need to know the truck speed and wind resistance to calculate the amount of work...

Kenny, I wish I had something in that shade of blue. Your Tacoma looks Terrific!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:16 PM   #25

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel
I do want to install a motor on the landing gear and would love to hear more about the process and products used.
Steve - its a stock kit from Atwood. PN 73391 includes the motor and switch. The motor is a direct bolt-on that takes longer to find the wrench than to do the installation!
www.justfinding.blogspot.com
John & BJ S. is offline   Reply With Quote