Don't have one yet 6 2.69%
Never will buy one 0 0%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-11-2009, 12:18 PM   #15

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Older.
LOL..............

This is a very interesting poll. What would be great to add to it, is Was it your first? Like Herb's camping history. But how many bought fiberglass for their first camping unit ( besides a tent) ? I am sure many of us have camping history, but think it would be neat to know who bought glass for their first. Actually all camping history is interesting. Robin

Old 06-11-2009, 12:29 PM   #16

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Like several others, we also started out as tent campers. After sleeping on the ground (actually on ThermaRest self inflating pads) for 25 years we decided to "cave in" and bought cots. It was like sleeping on a cloud compared to the ground and we had extra storage space (under the cots) as an added benefit.

Because of having been caught in one too many gully washers in recent years, we had been exploring the possibility of purchasing a tear drop camper. I figured it was a reasonable way of keeping dry and maintaining the "integrity" of tent camping. On our inaugural voyage with the new cots in October 2007, we were riding our bikes through the park when my wife spotted a new Casita (still had the cardboard plates on it) and that's all it took. After researching the Casita on-line (in addtion to liking what we saw, the factory being only 55 miles from home was a major plus) we visited the showroom on a Saturday in January 2008, placed our order on Monday and took delivery on March 6.

The bottom line is that at age 62 and 61, we purchased our first RV. Our only regret is that the cots only got used once.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:46 PM   #17

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 2008
Quote:
LOL..............

This is a very interesting poll. What would be great to add to it, is Was it your first? Like Herb's camping history. But how many bought fiberglass for their first camping unit ( besides a tent) ? I am sure many of us have camping history, but think it would be neat to know who bought glass for their first. Actually all camping history is interesting. Robin
The Wonder Egg is my first trailer, ever. I recently told someone at the Oliver factory that they might have a problem with me, . . . it will likely be the last trailer I ever buy from them 'cause it will last a lifetime!!!
Old 06-11-2009, 02:11 PM   #18

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
The Wonder Egg is my first trailer, ever. I recently told someone at the Oliver factory that they might have a problem with me, . . . it will likely be the last trailer I ever buy from them 'cause it will last a lifetime!!!
Know what you mean Pete! Did you ever tent it? I remember reading your post about your Egg journey, but find it interesting that first timers look to glass unless just coming across one for sale cause if I remember correctly you really studied up on what you wanted to meet your needs. I guess once you start reading the features and benefits it's easy to get hooked.

Wow, egg's were the first for two so far. Interesting!
Old 06-11-2009, 02:20 PM   #19

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 2008
Minimal tenting experience besides my years as a Boy Scout back a bizzillion years ago . . . as you said, I put some effort into finding the best way to go and glass was it for me (& the Smiley Dog)! It was not only the quality of molded fiberglass, but the quality of the FGRV community that was compelling.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:33 PM   #20

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Tennessee
I guess this poll proves that people 46-65 are smarter.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:23 PM   #21

Name: Larry
Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Washington
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

I had always liked Scamp type trailers and knew they were lightweight and my old Bronco was not the best tow vehicle for a stickie.. As I was getting older (and lazier) and fewer people were coming to Elk camp, I knew I wanted one..... After several years of procrastinating.... too much, too far to go look at (one was only 60 miles away for $1250 ) it was time. The 83 Scamp showed up in the Spokane paper -120 miles away. We called the gentleman, said we were 2 hours away and wanted it!!! The nice old gentleman said "you'd better look at it first and see if you want to pay that much" We just grabbed a handful and took off.... To make a long story short-- BOUGHT IT. Din't care that it didn't have a stove.... Headed for home in 100 degree heat, had to light plug didn't match the pickup I had--- who needs lights? just get home before dark. Been enjoying and remodeling ever since. Life is good. Larry
Old 06-15-2009, 08:52 AM   #22

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
I'm curious how many people out there have Campers that are older than them?

When I told my wife, we were proud owners of a 1972 Boler American - she had to remind me that we just purchased something that was 4 years older than me?? She loves it now, and it doesn't look like it's 36 years old - - but at the time, she thought I was crazy...

So - How many of you are younger than your Egg....
Old 06-15-2009, 04:56 PM   #23

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Our trailer was made in 1975, just like me.

~ Liz
The same year I graduated high school.

I fit right into the top of the curve, having just bought my first moulded fiberglass trailer a month ago.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:11 PM   #24

Name: John
Trailer: 1972 Boler American ('The USS NeverSail')
Tennessee
Registry
John did minimal camping as a child, only what he did with the Boy Scouts. In the Navy he was a wilderness survival instructor, so his entire "camping supplies" fit into his pockets. He did no other camping until we bought our first camper, a 25 ft 5th wheel, about 4 years ago. We sold it about a year ago and found our Boler restoration project about 3 weeks ago.
I started camping at 3 months old. We tent camped several times every year (every chance the family had) when I was a child. I had not camped for several years when we bought our 5th wheel. I immediately realized what I had been missing. We sold the 5th wheel because we found that the size of it made it not always easy to use so we sometimes did not go because of the effort involved. We had been looking for a small camper even before selling the large one. We finally found the 72 Boler (I'm only 5 yrs older than the camper) just a few weeks ago and are getting started on the restoration project. Can't wait to take it out on our first trip when we get it restored.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:05 PM   #25

Name: David
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ)
Colorado
We have been tenters our whole lives and still are. But we only tent in places you can't drive to. We have two backpacking tents, a North Face expedition tent, a couple fire-camp dome tents, and an 10X12 wall tent. Most of our tent camping now is on multi-day float trips on western rivers, which we still try to do at least once a year. We were serious backpackers in our youth before getting into whitewater rafting. Amazing how much more stuff you can carry in a large raft than on your back! We still use the big tent for a hunting camp when we drive back into areas too rough to pull the trailer.

I bought our first trailer while in my 50's shortly after retiring from a ranger job in Alaska. About a half-mile from our house there was an old beat-up Scamp in someone's front yard. I drove by it every day and it never moved. The plates were way expired. I knocked on the door and ended up buying it. We needed a convenient place to stay while doing our annual salmon-gathering trips to the Kenai Peninsula. It worked well for that purpose. It wasn't long before Nancy noticed that the Scamp had no bathroom. I noticed too, but didn't want to admit anything. So, after a year, we bought a 17' Casita with all the goodies. After we left Alaska and ended up near my father, we started inviting him on some trips. The Casita got too small real fast, so we ended up buying a Bigfoot. Now we find ourselves going on a lot of road trips with the trailer where we may have previously stayed in motels or with friends or relatives. We tell ourselves this is not really camping, but it is fun whatever it is. But we also take the trailer out into the National Forest and BLM lands and it does sort of seem like camping. Except for the fridge, the furnace, the stove-top, the water heater, the bed AND the bathroom. It can't really be camping if we are THAT comfortable, can it?
Old 06-16-2009, 07:08 PM   #26

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
Our Boler was 10 years old when my wife brought it home in '94. I was a young wipper-snapper of 54 at the time. It has MELLOWED into a nice 25 year old and I've become a CRUSTY 69 this year.
On the other hand my 1945 model "other-half" doesn't think much of my idea to trade her for an '84 model so I gues that I'll keep this one.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:54 PM   #27

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
Quote:
......... Except for the fridge, the furnace, the stove-top, the water heater, the bed AND the bathroom. It can't really be camping if we are THAT comfortable, can it?

I have this question also, can't be camping if it's so 'indoorsy' and comfy. Bought our first FGRV when I was a mere 46, after one very cold night in our tent that even my sleep-through-anything husband found uncomfortable. With increasing health challenges, I knew my life time love of camping was at risk if I didn't find something warmer and softer. The 13' Burro still felt like camping, I called it our tent on wheels, it was basic, mostly just drier and off the ground.

At 58 (hubby 63) and with more health challenges, we purchased our Escape for the shower to get my body moving and a bigger bed for two stiffer bodies, and I go around saying "this can't be camping". So it brings up the question, might be a good thread, what exactly IS camping?

Keeping it simple, cooking and living outside, going in to sleep, going to places the big rigs don't, squeezing a little molded fiberglass trailer into a sweet site along a river, in the trees, that helps it to feel like camping while enjoying a good nights sleep.

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:23 PM   #28

Name: Herb
Trailer: 2002 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
When I was born they didn't have fibreglass anything. Some of those early home made trailers did have wheels with wooden spokes.