How old were you - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: 1st All fiberglass trailer
16-21 0 0%
22-25 3 1.34%
26-30 6 2.68%
31-35 14 6.25%
36-40 20 8.93%
41-45 20 8.93%
46-50 33 14.73%
51-55 47 20.98%
56-60 30 13.39%
61-65 27 12.05%
66-70 10 4.46%
71-75 6 2.68%
76-80 1 0.45%
81-85 0 0%
86-90 0 0%
91-95 0 0%
96-100 0 0%
100 + 1 0.45%
Don't have one yet 6 2.68%
Never will buy one 0 0%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-11-2009, 04:23 PM   #21

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

I had always liked Scamp type trailers and knew they were lightweight and my old Bronco was not the best tow vehicle for a stickie.. As I was getting older (and lazier) and fewer people were coming to Elk camp, I knew I wanted one..... After several years of procrastinating.... too much, too far to go look at (one was only 60 miles away for $1250 ) it was time. The 83 Scamp showed up in the Spokane paper -120 miles away. We called the gentleman, said we were 2 hours away and wanted it!!! The nice old gentleman said "you'd better look at it first and see if you want to pay that much" We just grabbed a handful and took off.... To make a long story short-- BOUGHT IT. Din't care that it didn't have a stove.... Headed for home in 100 degree heat, had to light plug didn't match the pickup I had--- who needs lights? just get home before dark. Been enjoying and remodeling ever since. Life is good. Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:52 AM   #22

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
I'm curious how many people out there have Campers that are older than them?

When I told my wife, we were proud owners of a 1972 Boler American - she had to remind me that we just purchased something that was 4 years older than me?? She loves it now, and it doesn't look like it's 36 years old - - but at the time, she thought I was crazy...

So - How many of you are younger than your Egg....
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:56 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Our trailer was made in 1975, just like me.

~ Liz
The same year I graduated high school.

I fit right into the top of the curve, having just bought my first moulded fiberglass trailer a month ago.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:11 PM   #24

Trailer: 1972 Boler American ('The USS NeverSail')
Registry
John did minimal camping as a child, only what he did with the Boy Scouts. In the Navy he was a wilderness survival instructor, so his entire "camping supplies" fit into his pockets. He did no other camping until we bought our first camper, a 25 ft 5th wheel, about 4 years ago. We sold it about a year ago and found our Boler restoration project about 3 weeks ago.
I started camping at 3 months old. We tent camped several times every year (every chance the family had) when I was a child. I had not camped for several years when we bought our 5th wheel. I immediately realized what I had been missing. We sold the 5th wheel because we found that the size of it made it not always easy to use so we sometimes did not go because of the effort involved. We had been looking for a small camper even before selling the large one. We finally found the 72 Boler (I'm only 5 yrs older than the camper) just a few weeks ago and are getting started on the restoration project. Can't wait to take it out on our first trip when we get it restored.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:05 PM   #25

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
We have been tenters our whole lives and still are. But we only tent in places you can't drive to. We have two backpacking tents, a North Face expedition tent, a couple fire-camp dome tents, and an 10X12 wall tent. Most of our tent camping now is on multi-day float trips on western rivers, which we still try to do at least once a year. We were serious backpackers in our youth before getting into whitewater rafting. Amazing how much more stuff you can carry in a large raft than on your back! We still use the big tent for a hunting camp when we drive back into areas too rough to pull the trailer.

I bought our first trailer while in my 50's shortly after retiring from a ranger job in Alaska. About a half-mile from our house there was an old beat-up Scamp in someone's front yard. I drove by it every day and it never moved. The plates were way expired. I knocked on the door and ended up buying it. We needed a convenient place to stay while doing our annual salmon-gathering trips to the Kenai Peninsula. It worked well for that purpose. It wasn't long before Nancy noticed that the Scamp had no bathroom. I noticed too, but didn't want to admit anything. So, after a year, we bought a 17' Casita with all the goodies. After we left Alaska and ended up near my father, we started inviting him on some trips. The Casita got too small real fast, so we ended up buying a Bigfoot. Now we find ourselves going on a lot of road trips with the trailer where we may have previously stayed in motels or with friends or relatives. We tell ourselves this is not really camping, but it is fun whatever it is. But we also take the trailer out into the National Forest and BLM lands and it does sort of seem like camping. Except for the fridge, the furnace, the stove-top, the water heater, the bed AND the bathroom. It can't really be camping if we are THAT comfortable, can it?
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:08 PM   #26

Trailer: Boler 1984
Our Boler was 10 years old when my wife brought it home in '94. I was a young wipper-snapper of 54 at the time. It has MELLOWED into a nice 25 year old and I've become a CRUSTY 69 this year.
On the other hand my 1945 model "other-half" doesn't think much of my idea to trade her for an '84 model so I gues that I'll keep this one.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:54 PM   #27

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
Quote:
......... Except for the fridge, the furnace, the stove-top, the water heater, the bed AND the bathroom. It can't really be camping if we are THAT comfortable, can it?

I have this question also, can't be camping if it's so 'indoorsy' and comfy. Bought our first FGRV when I was a mere 46, after one very cold night in our tent that even my sleep-through-anything husband found uncomfortable. With increasing health challenges, I knew my life time love of camping was at risk if I didn't find something warmer and softer. The 13' Burro still felt like camping, I called it our tent on wheels, it was basic, mostly just drier and off the ground.

At 58 (hubby 63) and with more health challenges, we purchased our Escape for the shower to get my body moving and a bigger bed for two stiffer bodies, and I go around saying "this can't be camping". So it brings up the question, might be a good thread, what exactly IS camping?

Keeping it simple, cooking and living outside, going in to sleep, going to places the big rigs don't, squeezing a little molded fiberglass trailer into a sweet site along a river, in the trees, that helps it to feel like camping while enjoying a good nights sleep.

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:23 PM   #28

Trailer: 1999 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Florida
When I was born they didn't have fibreglass anything. Some of those early home made trailers did have wheels with wooden spokes.
Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:57 PM   #29

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
While visiting my parents on a Sunday in early 1975 in Port Angeles, WA we saw a yellow Compact Jr. for sale a couple of blocks away for $850. The next morning I called my dad and asked him to buy it, which he did, then we returned the next weekend to pay him and bring it home.

We took a year off work and zig-zagged across the country and back twice during that time until our savings ran out and a baby was on the way. Three years later we sold it for $1100 after cleaning it up to an immaculate condition, so it was actually a good investment.

Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:38 PM   #30

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Registry
Well, I was 55 a few years ago when on a whim, I thought it would be nice to have a small fibreglass trailer like a Trillium or Boler. We've always preferred small cars and ours was barely adaquate to tow with, but I didn't care. Early in our marriage we've owned tents and even an old (soft top) tent trailer which was lightweight and roomy, but all of these left my better half a little (shall we say) cold, so to speak. So when I gingerly confronted her with the thought of a Trillium/Boler, much to my surprise, she was on it like flies on dog poo. Next thing I knew, she found a Boler and a Trillium on line at nearby RV dealers. They were pretty equal (around the same age and condition) but the thing that won us over on the '78 Trill was the jalousie windows all 'round for better flow-through ventilation. Lucky for us this little beauty was practically hidden at the very back of the dealership in St. Thomas (less that half an hour from our home) and they told us they'd had it for a year!!!??? I guess they didn't know then about this hungry fibreglass TT subculture. Shortly after taking it home, we upgraded to a better towing minivan. Every once in a while, we get one foot-itis and look at slightly larger trailers that crosses our path but on reflection, it would be inflationary...larger trailer, larger and more expensive TV, more fuel...more one foot-itis....
Attached Thumbnails
P5200251.JPG   P5200244.JPG  

GuyNicoletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 04:38 AM   #31

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I was 25 in 1980 and bought a 1978 Scamp 13 and towed it all over SoCal with my '79 Jeep CJ-7. Ahhh... the days of innocence...
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 04:43 AM   #32

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer 13 ft / 2005 Honda Element
I bought my Perris Pacer when I was 25. Although I have camped all my life in my family's RV and also tents, this is my first trailer. I've loved fiberglass RVs since I saw my first Boler when I was a kid.
ERIC B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:11 PM   #33

Trailer: 1972 Boler
i haven't actually purchased my boler but my grandfather did. he then gave it to my dad and i grew up in that little orange and white egg. it is great to think that it is still around and that i will be able to raise my kids in it too.
cody harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:35 PM   #34

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Our History

I started camping with the Boy Scouts in junior high. After marriage, I introduced my wife to tent camping. We had a Lacke & Joy cabin tent model which is still being sold for $1300! We went camping on vacations when we lived in Wisconsin, mainly in Door County. After moving to Washington, most of our vacations were spent flying or driving to Wisconsin to visit parents. When the kids grew up, and the parents had died, we started camping again. Then in 2008, during a camping trip to Port Townsend, I said, "I just can't do this anymore." Serendiptiously, a fellow pulled into the camping area with a 16' Casita. I went over to look at it. I hadn't realized that such compact travel trailers existed. That started us on our search. I found this website and read about many of the trailers. We first thought we would like a Burro because of the double hull and the relatively close location, Southern California. But then we found out that just because there is a website, that doesn't mean that the company is still in business! We finally decided on a Trillium because of their location relative to us, and that they have opening windows on all four sides. The rest is history. We love our Homelet and feel it was one of our better purchases.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:23 PM   #35

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
getting our trillium outback was truly the best camping decision we've ever made.

we started out, tenting, then got a VW westfalia camper van...then 3 different tent trailers---never newer than 25 years old!----with a couple of years of tenting thrown in for good measure. we camped without kids and then one, then two, then three. those years when the boys were teenagers saw us get away camping much less frequently--having to be home to ferry one or more to jobs, friends' homes or activities....but then-----they got licenses of their own and woohoo!!!! we were free again! and....i made the decision- it was time for a little comfort. and the rest is history. we've camped more in the past 5 years with this trailer than i ever thought i'd do again.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:14 PM   #36

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
I bought mine (Uhaul CT-13) this year at age 37.
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:32 AM   #37

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Older then dirt. My husband that is.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:04 AM   #38

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
after a overly rainy season in a tent and seeing a casita at a local campground, we started looking and bought our Uhaul ...at 55......havent been in the uhaul while raining yet, Despite several camping trips this year! Either way I wish we had done it earlier, it's a blast. Bruce&Mary
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:37 PM   #39

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
What age were you when you bought your 1st all fiberglass camping trailer?
I thought this was going to be "how old were you when your trailer was built?" I was 8 years old... Maybe 7 if it was an early '84 model. So that means I was in 3rd or 4th grade.

But, to answer the real question, I was (and still am) 34. I was about 18 when I bought a well-used popup camper, and have owned some sort of RV ever since.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:40 PM   #40

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Mcbrew:

What did you do at 18 in a pop-up?
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote