how stickies are built...... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
how stickies are built......

This might seem like a strange thing to bring up, but only here might I have an understanding audience. Did anyone watch the PBS special on the Amish Wednesday night? Toward the end it showed hard working Amish men working in a factory that makes 'sticky' trailers, (price of farm land is so high, and less available, that even frugal Amish can't afford to buy land for their 'kids' to start farms. So this generation of Amish work 'out'.) The factory was fast pace, hurry hurry hurry, and the amazing thing was to watch the frames being put together with just one shot from the nail gun at each joint. I kept thinking, these things will just fall apart in even a mild accident, or a tree branch falling.

Not that FGRVs don't get crushed, we've all heard the horror stories on the forum, but I like to think FGRV factories have better working conditions and take their time to make something lasting.....I know Escape does!

With their tradition of fine, quality workmanship in carpentry & woodworking, it must be hard for these Amish men to make what appeared to be rather shabby 'stickies'.

Penney

PS - If you are relatively new to the forum, 'stickies' is the term used for trailers made with internal wood framing, usually more boxy & heavier trailers. Some have fiberglass exteriors, but not molded fiberglass.

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:17 PM   #2

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
hi penney---dennis and i watched that show and i was shocked to see how quickly these workers were forced to work---actually running between stations!---to keep things moving on "the line". it was an excellent documentary and having lived near an old order mennonite community in ontario a number of years ago, can attest to how hard it must be to live one's daily life while being constantly treated like some kind of freak, with people taking photos and following their buggies. but that section that showed the inside of the factory was quite illuminating!!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #3

Trailer:
Thanks for that - coincidentally PBS has started broadcasting on cable in Britain, but of course the schedules are all different, so I was able to watch that segment here:
The Amish . American Experience . WGBH | PBS
It's at about 1:30, the beginning of 'Chapter 8 : Working outside the farm'.
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:28 PM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
The Amish also build heaters/fireplaces for additional income here
Attached Images

cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
A trailer moving down the road has been described as a moving earthquake. I'd think anything just stapled together or nailed with the fewest nails possible would absolutely shake itself to death while in motion. In some manufacturing, it's all about quantity... not quality. Aren't we glad we have molded? I AM!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I grew up in MI/IN area where most of these factories are located. We used to get the fliers/magazines with factory photos and I believe they exploit the Mennonite/Amish workers by using their photos hinting that they have "crafts" people with actual skills to try to win your business. I believe that is wrong. I spoke with someone from my area about 5 years ago and he told me that you see very few Mennonite/Amish in the factories and more likely than not, you will see what appears to be an illegal population at work. The last travel trailer we bought new, as time went on, the floor separated, putty striping was left out of the front window and it leaked during an almost never ending rain storm, the skylight in the bathroom leaked and had to be repaired more than once, the dinette benches kept coming apart - this was within 2 years time and the flier showed the Mennonite/Amish crafts people! When you need a paycheck, you do things the way you are told to do them.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I too saw that show on PBS and thought the same thing. That stickie was barely nailed together.
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:34 PM   #8

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2006 Casita
New York
The Amish built my coal stove which is top notch.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:34 PM   #9

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Penney H. & Mike E... We saw that PBS special . The largest concentration of RV Mfg's. is in Indiana. We drove thru the area seeing acres of RV's. The majority of men working in those factories are Amish.
We did tour one quality shop. Troyer Carrage hand makes the Calash hooded buggies used in most cities for tourists. Here was a prime example of quality hand work by Amish craftsmen.
The stickies on the other hand are slapped together. Very shocking!!!
Here's a Troyer Carrage in use in Frankenmuth Mich. and one awaiting delivery to a customer.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
Made in the USA.jpg   one horsepower.jpg  

Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:39 PM   #10

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
Wow! Those are beautiful buggies! I wonder if you can pull a small FGRV with one?

Cathy I would agree, the 'Amish built' statement has become a marketing scheme in many places. I think the traditional quality people have come to expect from Amish carpenters is found in the shops that are owned by their own communities. It has been many years since I lived in PA (spent better part of my growing up years there) and saw how the Amish worked and lived. Things have changed, as the show indicated.

I only know when I've been in the Escape factory (the old one) there was a very different pace and attention to detail, that was what I was comparing what I saw on the show to. I mean who wouldn't want to work for Rease & Tammy? (if you had the skills to do so!)

Penney

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking The American Experience - the Amish

I can't believe I watched a 1 hour and fifty minute show in order to see about 2 minutes of sticky building!

The show was interesting, however.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:56 PM   #12

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 16 Deluxe
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
The Amish built my coal stove which is top notch.

Nothing like that Amish stove pictured, I'd bet. An ordinary electric heater dressed up with a photo of an actual fire, sold by full-page newspaper ads to uninformed consumers, is about the last con I'd expect the Amish to participate in. Or am I missing something here?
John McMillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:52 AM   #13

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
I also watched the program. When I realized what they were building, I couldn't believe how shoddy the work was on that trailer, whatever kind it was.

The Don Pod
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:41 AM   #14

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2006 Casita
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMillin View Post
Nothing like that Amish stove pictured, I'd bet. An ordinary electric heater dressed up with a photo of an actual fire, sold by full-page newspaper ads to uninformed consumers, is about the last con I'd expect the Amish to participate in. Or am I missing something here?
You are right John its nothing like the one pictured. Wish I seen the show.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote