How to check your propane levels - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2015, 06:30 PM   #21

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
But if one cannot reasonably safely carry a spare tank, then the method the OP posted for checking your level might work to prevent you from running out.
Of course if you DO carry a spare tank, you have little need to know the level in your first tank.
So perhaps we can return to the subject of the thread, to wit: How to check your propane levels
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:34 PM   #22

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
One of the reasons I went for a 33.5 lb forklift tank is that it has both a float level gauge, and a quick fill port. I can get it filled, by the litre, (gallon) without taking it off my trailer. Just like a propane vehicle.

That and it looks cool, (to me).
Attached Thumbnails
Clipboard02.jpg  
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:27 PM   #23

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
But if one cannot reasonably safely carry a spare tank, then the method the OP posted for checking your level might work to prevent you from running out.
Of course if you DO carry a spare tank, you have little need to know the level in your first tank.
So perhaps we can return to the subject of the thread, to wit: How to check your propane levels
Gordon, the problem I see here is that the best thing to do would be to check it at home before departing on a trip with a scale or hot water as has been detailed in this thread. And let's just suppose that you find the propane level iffy, i.e., at a point where you may run out. So what do you do with your partially filled single tank? Most propane dealers are going to charge you per fill, so you spend $18 (or whatever the going rate is) to fill a half full tank and you essentially pay double the cost for the propane you actually get. If you are adamant about taking only one tank and you have second tank at home that is full, then you take it on the camping trip, leaving the partially filled tank behind. And although I try not to assume, let's assume you have a gas grill at home that you can use to consume the rest of the partially filled tank. If it runs out on the home grill, you can take the other tank off the trailer to finish whatever you are grilling. But in that case, you now have a completely empty tank that can be filled and used on your next camping trip. Still inconvenient if you use a lot of propane and go on an extended trip because you could run a completely filled tank dry.
If I read your profile correctly, you have a Scamp 16 on order. Why would you not be able to safely carry a second tank, even a partially filled second tank in case of an unexpected flame out? And if you do have a gas grill at home, how do you safely transport the propane tanks when they need to be filled or exchanged?
From my point of view, if you are 40 miles from the nearest propane outlet and you realize your tank is about to run out even if there is no immediate crisis (freezing), you are still going to have to drive 80 miles round trip to refill the cylinder unless it is your plan to move along sometime soon. On the other hand, if you are in a campground you can probably get it filled immediately so there is no problem. And I cannot speak for everyone, but if you are camping next to me and we are far from civilization and you run out of propane, I am going to try to help you out if I am able.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:46 PM   #24

North Carolina
Well Carl, first, thanks for the offer.. I would surly like to be camping next to you if i ran out of propane.
Yes, best to check the level before you leave.. but if you are on an extended trip, then you have to check it while on the trip also. If its bolted on with hard to reach bolts (like it was on my pop-up), then its a pain to remove to weigh it. An easier method is preferred.
As for taking a second tank, having it on the tongue might exceed my tugs tongue weight limit. And in the VAN (tug) is not the safest thing to do.. Yes I do transport the tank in the interior of my van to fill it for the grill.. that’s about 5 miles round trip. I don't like it, but its a short distance. Carrying a tank inside my car (van) for 2000 miles is different.
If I am camping near civilization or at KOA s ( I hope not!) or the like, then I won’t worry since I can get gas pretty easy. The further in the boonies I am, the more I want to know roughly how much propane (and gasoline, and battery charge, and water, etc. ) I have left.
So the hot water check comes in handy on occasion.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:10 PM   #25

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
You really should look into a Manchester 20 lb tank with a float gauge.

So far mine has worked pretty good. Mine does show empty when there's still almost a gallon left, which is no problem since I always fill at a place does metered filling. That's as close as my previous method was.
I've only had it for a few months. Filled it when I got it and filled it once after using it for few weeks camping.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:30 PM   #26

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I use a travel weight scale that's made for weighing suitcases, the strap goes around the suitcase handle and works real well on propane bottles.
All you need to know is the weight of the empty bottle and full weight.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 07:21 AM   #27

Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Don't need no silly gauge LOL. I just use the tank until it is empty and then switch to the 2nd tank (a full tank will typically last us about 1 week while camping and using furnace, hotwater heater, fridge, stove, BBQ, and fire bowl). If I am really curious about how much propane is left in a tank, I pick it up to check the weight. When empty, the tank is quite light. When full, it is quite heavy.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 07:35 AM   #28

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
... I just use the tank until it is empty and then switch to the 2nd tank....
Arugh!! At the risk of repeating myself..

1. Bolted on Tongue, hard to get to the bolts.
2. No good way to carry spare second tank.

Now what do you do, unbolt it and shake it all about.. thats a PAIN.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:58 AM   #29

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Most propane dealers are going to charge you per fill, so you spend $18 (or whatever the going rate is) to fill a half full tank and you essentially pay double the cost for the propane you actually get.
Where are you buying your propane? Sounds like a flat weight fill or a tank swap dealer, neither of which is a good deal. At the latter, as has been discussed on this forum, you're probably being shorted 5 lbs on a 20 lb tank.

I pay for my propane by the gallon. Propane is metered and the tank is weighed.

I'm concerned about older propane tanks from a swap cage. Now I'm sure that a reputable company isn't putting bad tanks in there, but how old are they? Propane tanks have to be re-certified every so often, after 12 years and every 5 years after that. So, I swap out my new tank and get one that will soon need re-certification. I go in to have it filled and am told it need's to be re-certified. It's a simple process, as I understand it, but it takes a little time and you can bet it's not free. My choice is to stay with my new tank, get the full fill and save money in the process.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:01 AM   #30

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
These days, the 20# Worthington tank is available with a float meter. A float meter is tons better than that meter they sell everywhere which is basically measuring pressure. But you have to buy a new tank as it's not an add-on.
Attached Images

I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:50 AM   #31

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L. View Post
These days, the 20# Worthington tank is available with a float meter. A float meter is tons better than that meter they sell everywhere which is basically measuring pressure. But you have to buy a new tank as it's not an add-on.
How did I not know that?

Is THIS the one with the float gauge and not just the same old crappy gauge added to it?
Old 08-21-2015, 09:13 AM   #32

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
The accuracy of the float meter is still dependent on the trailer being level - not a criticism, but something of which to be aware.

Some folks are happy weighing the tank. Great for them. Some aren't.
Some folks are happy shaking the tank. Great for them. Some aren't.
Some folks are happy pouring boiling water. Great for them. Some aren't.
Some folks are happy carrying a second tank. Great for them. Some aren't.
Some folks are happy with a pressure gauge. Great for them. Some aren't.
and...
Some folks are happy to learn another option. Great for them. Some aren't.
Sigh... The spirit on this board has been getting increasingly contentious lately.
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:01 AM   #33

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
How did I not know that?

Is THIS the one with the float gauge and not just the same old crappy gauge added to it?

Yes. It even has the same picture on the label that I posted. My tanks recently "expired" from the 12 year date and good luck finding someone local around here to reinspect it. The other of my tanks is still nearly full but I expect to replace it, too, with the Worthington with the gauge when I finally empty it. Not a necessity since I have two tanks but I like gadgets.

I expect that only half the refillers bother to check the date but with my luck I'd find one who does and I'd be sent away, hanging my head in shame, a menace to society, for having tried to get an expired tank refilled
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:18 AM   #34

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Arugh!! At the risk of repeating myself..

1. Bolted on Tongue, hard to get to the bolts.
Since this seems to be the problem, why not fix it?
Old 08-21-2015, 11:59 AM   #35

Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L. View Post
I expect that only half the refillers bother to check the date but with my luck I'd find one who does and I'd be sent away, hanging my head in shame, a menace to society, for having tried to get an expired tank refilled
There is a gas station near me that will fill any propane bottle, regardless of date, condition, or the valve on the tank. Scary.

The tank swap guy I talked to, told me that the date is not what they care about, when you bring one in for exchange. When the tank is expired, they send it to their certification centre. They inspect the tank, (their standards are not hard to meet) re-stamp, and repaint. Good as new.

What they do care about is the valve. It must have a triangular shaped handle. I understand that this signifies that it has an over fill protection device:
Overfill Protection Devices for propane tanks now the law
They are now mandatory. My son came back with a "new" tank from the exchange place near me. The handle was round. Clearly they don't check, even when they refill it.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 02:22 PM   #36

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
How to check your propane levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
Where are you buying your propane? Sounds like a flat weight fill or a tank swap dealer, neither of which is a good deal. At the latter, as has been discussed on this forum, you're probably being shorted 5 lbs on a 20 lb tank.

I buy my propane metered, not by flat fee and I never exchange tanks. I made that statement because some propane outlets charge a flat fee, and if someone is relying on a single tank but wants to fill it when it is partially full, they may get ripped off. It has been my experience that most private campgrounds meter. People just need to be aware that there are outlets that will charge you for 4 gallons but you get something less. I also have a 5 pound refillable which holds 1 gallon. I use it in the event I want to use the grill away from the campsite (and the low pressure system on the trailer). I have a regulator with a QC fitting for such occasions. Obviously, I wouldn't go someplace that charges a flat fee, because I would be way overcharged.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-21-2015, 04:42 PM   #37

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
I've travelled most of USA and in Ontario. Most of commercial campgrounds or nearby gas stations sell metered propane.

Usually I stay at cheapest campgrounds, not at RV resorts.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:43 PM   #38

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E Henning View Post
The accuracy of the float meter is still dependent on the trailer being level - not a criticism, but something of which to be aware.

Some folks are happy weighing the tank. Great for them. Some aren't.
Some folks are happy shaking the tank. Great for them. Some aren't.
Some folks are happy pouring boiling water. Great for them. Some aren't.
Some folks are happy carrying a second tank. Great for them. Some aren't.
Some folks are happy with a pressure gauge. Great for them. Some aren't.
and...
Some folks are happy to learn another option. Great for them. Some aren't.
Sigh... The spirit on this board has been getting increasingly contentious lately.

++++1
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:26 PM   #39

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
I've travelled most of USA and in Ontario. Most of commercial campgrounds or nearby gas stations sell metered propane.

Usually I stay at cheapest campgrounds, not at RV resorts.

Terminology, Terminology, Terminology, Terminology,Any place that has hook ups by my definition is an RV resort. If I have to pay more $10.00 per night it's too much.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:56 AM   #40

Name: Kenny
Trailer: 16' Standard
Ohio
Registry
Dometic Propane Gizmo

I saw this one by Dometic. Sells for $50.00 bucks on Amazon. I little pricey now, maybe they'll come down in the future.
http://www.dometic.com/USA/New-Produ...P-Gas-Checker/
Attached Thumbnails
LP-GasChecker-pen-profile-side-view-green-glow.jpg  
Kenny in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane