how to keep rodents out of the engine compartment. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-18-2018, 10:31 AM   #15

Name: John
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, 2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 4x4
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Edible wiring has been a problem for a while. I had to postpone one of our trips when some sensor wires on my Tacoma were chewed up by chipmunks. Toyota dealer repaired it, but it messed up our schedule. Next oil change was done during our trip and I brought up my experience and was told by their technician that Toyota used soy oil based plastic insulation on wires. Well, they must have thought they were good "green" boys, I guess.
European car makers started to switch to soy based insulation in the 80s as the previous synthetic insulations manufacturing processes involved large quantities of highly toxic solvents and such, they were proactively getting ahead of the RoHS regulations.

Volvos made from 1982-1986 or 87, the insulation was nicknamed biodegradable as within about 10 years it started to fail in the heat of the engine compartment... they fixed the formula mid year 87. There's probably a lot of this stuff still on the road as the failures were usually not found til the harness was disturbed, and those old 4 cyl volvos were swedish bricks, if you changed fluids regularlly, they ran forever.

Mercedes had the same problem in the mid 90s, any mercedes from about 93 to about 98, the original engine wiring harnesses turned to dust and crud, the benz people like to call these 'eco-junk'. most of these mercedes still on the road got replacement harnesses as Mercedes was pretty proactive in supporting their cars (both my 93 and 94 have new harnesses that were dealer installed in the early 2000s).

I have heard VW, BMW, and Porsche went through similar problems, but I don't know the years as my VWs predated any such problems and I've never owned a BMW or Porsche product.

John in Santa Cruz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:45 AM   #16

Name: Jim
Trailer: Fleetwood Revolution
New Mexico
Mothballs work

I've had problems with pack rats chewing up the wires and making a mess in my boat. I've been putting mothballs inside the boat and under the hood. Seems to work! Dollar tree sells them.

Conchasjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 06:51 PM   #17

Name: Don
Trailer: Back to shopping
Virginia
My war with squirrels

On my way to work one morning a suicidal squirrel jumped in front of my Honda Element and I heard "thump-thump". There goes another one, I thought. After pulling into my usual space in the parking garage I discovered the pest had not only survived but seemed to be mocking me and didn't want to budge. I called animal control and the officer tried all his tricks for about 30 minutes. The squirrel retreated into the enclosed panel above front right wheel well. For two days I tried all sorts of things to force it out. I left the hood up during that time and after 3 days the pest finally made an escape on its own. During my long war with squirrels I have always been defeated.
Attached Thumbnails
squirrel.jpg  
DonInChatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:19 AM   #18

Name: Jeanie
Trailer: In the market
California
I had some rodents eat my 2013 CR-V's windshield washer fluid line, dealer cost $400 to repair that section. I had no idea they used plant based wiring. So glad the forum made me aware this is not uncommon. Thanks, guys!

Dustbunny is offline   Reply With Quote