How to make a bed with a wall on 3 sides - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-31-2012, 09:28 PM   #1

Name: Laura
Trailer: Winnebago
Iowa
Angry How to make a bed with a wall on 3 sides

We just got our A frame camper with a full bed mattress. I was trying to make up the bed. With a wall on 3 sides of the bed, I found it very difficult to make up the bed. I literally wrestled with the mattress, and the mattress won. Just wondered how others make these beds up.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:35 PM   #2

Name: Karalyn
Trailer: Eggless for now but looking. currently own Amerilite 21 ft
Minnesota
I found with both my Scamps and my Casita that I too wrestled with the mattress. I plan to use comforters next. One on the bottom and one on top of me. No more sheets as it is just to hard for this ole lady to win over those cushions. I use comforters on my bed at home and to make the bed is so much easier with a comforter on top.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:38 PM   #3

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Repeat after me... jersey sheets. They're stretchy. That and Karalyn's suggestion... comforter (and duvet cover). But truly, lots of molded camper folks still sleep in sleeping bags. It's all about YOU, your needs and comfort level.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:44 PM   #4

Name: Karalyn
Trailer: Eggless for now but looking. currently own Amerilite 21 ft
Minnesota
Yes jersey sheets are the best by far if really wanting sheets. They are the best sheets because they do stretch. They are the sheets you will fight with the least. Last Scamp I owned I went to sleeping bags. I do like something over the cushions at all times, just to keep them clean.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:58 PM   #5
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
Yes, it's a struggle. In our 17 ft. Casita, I use old, king-size, waterbed sheets (leftover from a distant era). I just stuff the extra down between the cushions and the wall. Usually I break a fingernail in the process... and it's a struggle. But it works, and it only a hassle the first time I make the bed. (We'll peel back half the bedding during the day, to make the bed into more of a "day bed"; it's not nearly as difficult to go back to the bed set up at night, from the roll back position.)
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:09 PM   #6

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Mary made an excellent point... waterbed (type) sheets! Remember those? The top sheet was sewed to the bottom sheet at the foot. If you are so (sew) inclined... pull the cushions out of your trailer, make a fitted sheet for the cushion, then sew the topsheet to the fitted bottom sheet (old water bed owners know what I'm speaking of).
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:18 PM   #7

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura June View Post
We just got our A frame camper with a full bed mattress. I was trying to make up the bed. With a wall on 3 sides of the bed, I found it very difficult to make up the bed. I literally wrestled with the mattress, and the mattress won. Just wondered how others make these beds up.
Train it to make itself...
Attached Thumbnails
b003.JPG   b004.JPG  

b006.JPG  
Old 04-01-2012, 06:07 AM   #8

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
my plan,,, should go into action this afternoon,,,,if i can get the lawn mowing done.
cut my foam topper to fit, then sandwich it between two quilts, and tack quilt all three togeter to make one futon like unit cut to the shape of the bed.i will then sew up a flanel sheet cover that will be removeable for cleaning.
at the closed end of the cover will be two tapes sewn in so i can roll it all up and tie it for storage in the back of the tow if we want to use the table.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:48 AM   #9

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... I guess we're the lucky ones. Bed stays made all the time. All covers stay tucked in at the foot too!!! Ordinary queen sized sheets and a made by gramma quilt usually suffice for the nite. We use a technique called "make as you go" and the last one out smoothes out the lumps.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
Coffee's ready.jpg   Bed is made.jpg  

Set for dinner.jpg  
Old 04-01-2012, 07:21 AM   #10

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
We use king-sized sheets. They did the trick. We have a memory foam topper that made me crazy making the bed, only to have the corners pop off anyway. No issues with making it now and rarely do the corners pop off. We don't bother with a top sheet, or at least I don't. Hubby is a tuck; I am no-tuck (Seinfeld, anyone?).

CindyL
Old 04-02-2012, 11:32 PM   #11

Name: Nick & Kathy
Trailer: 1986 Casita
New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Mary made an excellent point... waterbed (type) sheets! Remember those? The top sheet was sewed to the bottom sheet at the foot. If you are so (sew) inclined... pull the cushions out of your trailer, make a fitted sheet for the cushion, then sew the topsheet to the fitted bottom sheet (old water bed owners know what I'm speaking of).
I am STILL a waterbed owner. Slept on one for over 30 years. Not sure how I will adapt to cushions and foam.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:38 AM   #12

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
Who makes the bed? I just sleep in my sleeping bag.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #13

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
I like the two quilt idea. I have jersey sheets on the bed, but keep the bed covered with a heavy throw in case the dogs get up on it. I only bring the comforter out at night. I can envision a two comforter sleeping bag, attached only at the bottom and one side, maybe. I don't like sleeping bags as they slide on the bed and tend to be too warm, but I could see a giant comforter sleeping bag working.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #14

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I just use regular double bed sheets. I use fitted on the bottom. I simply pull up one corner, affix the fitted sheet and tuck the sheet under about 1/2 half to the other corner. Then I do the same with the other corner. I get off the bed and pull the sheet toward me and lift the mattress slightly to the left and right tucking it under. The top sheet is simply tucked gently down the side of the mattress. I don't like the top sheet tucked tightly under the mattress. The down comforters lie gently on top.

I don't find it to be that big of a deal. But then I leave the bed down permanently. I'm not one to have a trailer that I've got to being fooling with bed into a dinette and back each day. I've slept in sleeping bags all my life camping and backpacking. I don't want to sleep in one in my trailer.

Hey, just dawned on me that you have an "A" frame might have to put the bed up and down each day, not having any place else to sit. At least the "A" frames I've seen haven't had two seating area's which then doesn't give them the latitude to leave one down as a permanent bed. So in that case I'd go with a sleeping bag, simply the easiest.

Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote