How To Not Become Discouraged? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-03-2013, 08:11 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
How To Not Become Discouraged?

I am looking for ideas on how not to be discouraged when looking for a fiberglass trailer. Last year, we planned to attend one of the get-togethers but we were relocating. We are SO far from all the fiberglass manufacturers but not the stick and going for repairs or to get follow-up after delivery on issues that might need to be addressed would be difficult. Having worked for a stick trailer manufacturer that only sold factory direct gave me some insight. So, this is becoming very discouraging as I read about others having to go back to the factory to have issues addressed. It would, I guess, make more sense to get a used unit since then we would just be paying out of pocket for anything we needed done and that is actually how we have always bought our vehicles. Well, I can always go with my standard "met to be" or not. We have a pop-up that we'll be taking out this summer to nearby camping areas and that will tide us over until we find what is "met to be". Thanks for listening.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #2

Name: Arlon
Trailer: 2002 Casita Bunk Delux
Texas
I got a used glass trailer and they are just made better than a lot of other types of trailers. I think the issues are relatively minor and unless you're one of those that can't figure out how to change a light bulb, it's easier to fix things yourself. Major appliances are my only concern with used trailers but most any RV place can work on any of them if needed. The shell may be specific to the mfg but about everything else isn't. Wheels, tires, axles, brakes, AC, fridge, power converter, hot water heater, hinges, knobs, etc.. are all repairable by someone other than the factory.

We simply don't get to use ours enough to justify the cost of a new one so when a good used one popped up in the neighborhood, we grabbed it. Did some minor tweaks and changed a few things but nothing that took more than a drill or screwdriver.

We had a pop-up years ago and after having the Casita I'm pretty sure we won't have another pop-up (or 5th wheel for that matter). Pop-up was probably better with kids but the kids are gone and the smaller glass trailer is perfect for our 3 day weekend trips within a few hundred miles of home.
2006 Xterra MT (for sale)
arlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:29 AM   #3

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
No charge. Do you say "met to be"? Do other Kansas say it that way? I always hear "meant to be" as in serendipity, kismet, fate, predestination, foreordination, and look, the cat came back. This is going to worry me all day.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:47 AM   #4

Cathy P,

Depending on exactly where you are in Kansas, I am probably a few hours away and would be happy to show you my 2010 EggCamper if you are interested.
Ms. Gayle 2012-IA,MO,NE,WY,MT,UT,NM,AZ,TX/2013-AR,LA,AL, FL,GA,SC,NC,TN,KY,KS,CO/2014-IL,MO,MN,MI,WI IA/2015-SD,IA,MO,OK,TX/2016-AR,MS,FL,MO,IN,VA,NC,TN/2017-KS,CO,UT,AR,MS,FL/2018-IL,IN,SD,MN,Canada,IA, OK,TX,NM/2019-OK,TX,AR,NE,SD/2020-AR
Ms. Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #5

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I have a scamp fifth wheel in wichita you could look at. What type if camper are you looking for?
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #6

You could bide your time with the pop-up and save up for a new one to get exactly what you want.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #7

I guess I'm a little dense. What was your question again?
Old 04-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
If you're worried about the warranty thing, don't be, at least with Scamp. The appliances are off the shelf stuff and any factory warranty repair place will take care of them. The trailer part can be handled by most RV repair shops with billing to Scamp. I can only speak about Scamp since that,s what I bought new.
Before you give up on fiberglass call the manufacturer of the trailer of choice and ask a lot of questions. Get their flyers and sales materials. Ask about close by trailers that you might visit.
I think you'll be surprised.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
No charge. Do you say "met to be"? Do other Kansas say it that way? I always hear "meant to be" as in serendipity, kismet, fate, predestination, foreordination, and look, the cat came back. This is going to worry me all day.

jack
In order to ease your mind, I did mean "meant". Do other "people in Kansas" rather than just "Kansas" say it that way, I can't really say. I am sorry for any confusion that "met" caused anyone. Seriously, I don't understand if this post was "meant to be" humorous or not.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #10

Thank you everyone for your encouragement and offers to show your trailers. Our schedules allow us no time right now. We hope to make it to one of the rallies in KS this year. We are in Emporia, sadly. It is better than SE KS but still not a place I would want to call "home". Right now, with minds changing frequently, we are looking at the Eggcamper (manufactured close to where I grew up) and the Scamp fifth-wheel. My husband is 6'2" which doesn't make it any easier.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #11

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
ParkLiner offers 6"4 headroom and 6'10 wide

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:01 AM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
Thank you everyone for your encouragement and offers to show your trailers. Our schedules allow us no time right now. .
Cathy if you call the trailer manufacturers most if not all of them have a customer referral system - just tell them where you live and they will hook you up with someone who lives near you who will let you take a look at their trailer. Re warranty issues etc as others have said they all use the same parts etc so not a problem finding someone who can fix the problem and from what I understand if your traveling and not close to the factory all the manufactures will arrange for you to take the trailer to an RV shop close to where you are and cover it from there. Or at least thats been the case for the few folks I have known to have a warranty issues with a couple of different fiberglass trailer manufactures.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I guess I'm a little dense. What was your question again?
I'm not sure what you are asking.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #14

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Emporia isn't too far, if you ever want to check out the scamp fifth wheel, let m know. I should have it at the Milford rally this fall, also.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:07 PM   #15

We used to camp at Milford Lake all the time when the kids were little years and years ago. We tent camped! Moved up to a pop-up, to a motorhome, to a pop-up, to a travel trailer, to a fifth-wheel, to a tent and now a pop-up again. So, even with all that, the molded fiberglass would be a new experience for us. At least, the kids are grown and hopefully the last one with DS will be wanting to move to residential since he came to prefer video games to camping, well, video games to any other thing! I'm sure it will come together. We have a lot to do to get our house market ready. We've given up on the house thing and just want to travel. The dog next door barks, we move on. The taxes go up, we move on. The plant closes, we move on. That sort of thing. Major life changing decision. Retirement is just around the corner!
Old 04-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Cathy, like Bryon said about Scamp, the same is true with Escape, and likely most of the manufacture direct sold trailers. The warranted work can be done anywhere and you are covered. Your husband would be fine in the Escape 19 too, as it is over 6'3" inside, ant the bed is a full sized queen, 60"x80". They will ship to you if you can't pick it up.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote