How to plug in our new old Casita - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-27-2017, 01:42 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Name: Jim
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Posts: 12
How to plug in our new old Casita

We did it -- brought home a 2003 FD 17! A friend who knows FGS will be coming over to show us the ropes but, until then, what do we need to plug into household electric to run all but AC?

Thanks,

Boblue

#
__________________

__________________
Boblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 03:56 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Dudley's Avatar
 
Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Posts: 646
Registry
The power cord door should be just behind the street side wheel well. There will be a 6"x6" hatch with possibly a lock. Reach in and you will find a rather large power cord. You will need a 30 amp to 15 amp adapter to plug into a normal 115 volt outlet.
__________________

__________________
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:02 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Name: Jim
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Posts: 12
Thanks Dudley!
__________________
Boblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:21 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Name: Susie
Trailer: Casita FD17
Florida
Posts: 8
Smile

We bought a 2005 FD17 two years ago, stored in a barn single owners older couple - have enjoyed every minute in it!!!! Happy trails!!!
P.s. We used it a lot to learn as we went after a single trip to our local RV place who had a great guy go over it with us newbies for $100. It was worth every penny as we were former tent campers. His best advice... "Use it!" !!!!!
P.s.s. There are YouTubes out there to help you in/out of almost everything!
I also bought my husband the $14 Casita manual for Christmas
__________________
Drsusie2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:39 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
WaltP's Avatar
 
Name: Walter
Trailer: 2002 BigFoot 17'
SW Virginia
Posts: 1,106
Hi there. Congratulations on your new to you Casita and welcome to the forum. In addition to this forum I recommend joining casitaforum.com. Between the two you'll find a trove of information and help. The best companion for your Casita is Arizona Eileen's CD manual on everything Casita, located at
http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/...asita-manuals/

Also, take a look at http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/...asita-manuals/

And you've already received the most important advise... Use it..... Go camping. I hope to see you out there.

Walt
__________________
Past owner of 1995 13' Casita, 1994 16' Casita, 2012 Parkliner.
Current owner of 2002 17' Bigfoot
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:31 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Hi there. Congratulations on your new to you Casita and welcome to the forum. In addition to this forum I recommend joining casitaforum.com. Between the two you'll find a trove of information and help. The best companion for your Casita is Arizona Eileen's CD manual on everything Casita, located at
http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/...asita-manuals/

Also, take a look at http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/...asita-manuals/

And you've already received the most important advise... Use it..... Go camping. I hope to see you out there.

Walt
Arizona Eileen is very intelligent on fiberglass units. I know her and her husband personally. She and her husband have done awesome things on the Casita they owned. They can be a wealth of information.
__________________
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:35 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblue View Post
We did it -- brought home a 2003 FD 17! A friend who knows FGS will be coming over to show us the ropes but, until then, what do we need to plug into household electric to run all but AC?

Thanks,

Boblue

#
Just a heads up to you and all Casita owners. When pulling out the power cord be careful that it doesn't pull on the hot water tank electric. It pulled a plug apart and we couldn't figure out why our hot water tank wouldn't heat when the day before it did. After getting home and digging into it we found the power cord can pull the electric wires of the tank apart if they tangle up. This was the 12 volt wires to the tank. I don't know why Casita didn't put a divider between the tank and the cord area.
__________________
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:01 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Posts: 1,027
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
Just a heads up to you and all Casita owners. When pulling out the power cord be careful that it doesn't pull on the hot water tank electric. It pulled a plug apart and we couldn't figure out why our hot water tank wouldn't heat when the day before it did. After getting home and digging into it we found the power cord can pull the electric wires of the tank apart if they tangle up. This was the 12 volt wires to the tank. I don't know why Casita didn't put a divider between the tank and the cord area.
That's just one more good reason to install a twist-lock shore power outlet, and make the cord removable.

Link to a previous thread on the subject if anyone has any interest in the conversion.
Get rid of the 110v cord
Attached Thumbnails
New Electrical Hatch3.JPG  
__________________
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 03:09 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Name: Jim
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drsusie2000 View Post
We bought a 2005 FD17 two years ago, stored in a barn single owners older couple - have enjoyed every minute in it!!!! Happy trails!!!
P.s. We used it a lot to learn as we went after a single trip to our local RV place who had a great guy go over it with us newbies for $100. It was worth every penny as we were former tent campers. His best advice... "Use it!" !!!!!
P.s.s. There are YouTubes out there to help you in/out of almost everything!
I also bought my husband the $14 Casita manual for Christmas
Susie:

Thanks for your response to my questions about our new-to-us Casita FD 17. I like the idea of a pro walk-thru as you chose to do. We have a Camping World here in Tallahassee and we just joined the Good Sam Club through CW here because we were purchasing the 30-to-15 adapter and heavy-duty rv extension cord there and joining-up there got us discounts.

We don't know much about the quality of service offered by CW Tallahassee and we haven't yet met any local rv repair folks. As soon as we determine the right "who," we'd be happy to pay for a lookover.

Thanks again,

Boblue

#
__________________
Boblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 03:11 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Name: Jim
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Hi there. Congratulations on your new to you Casita and welcome to the forum. In addition to this forum I recommend joining casitaforum.com. Between the two you'll find a trove of information and help. The best companion for your Casita is Arizona Eileen's CD manual on everything Casita, located at
http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/...asita-manuals/

Also, take a look at http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/...asita-manuals/

And you've already received the most important advise... Use it..... Go camping. I hope to see you out there.

Walt
Thanks for your advice Walt. We appreciate your leading us to those Casita resources -- we're going to need them!

Boblue

#
__________________
Boblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 03:12 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Name: Jim
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Posts: 12
Jann:

Thanks for your response. We will check out those resources for sure.

Boblue

#
__________________

__________________
Boblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
casita


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Our Casita is one year old GRF Hi, I am.... 3 06-01-2016 02:39 PM
7 way plug to 4 way plug back to 7 way plug immrbill Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 3 08-10-2015 11:08 AM
New Lamps for Old, New Lamps for Old! bfrq25 General Chat 6 04-03-2011 04:57 PM
Old, New, Really Old, not so New! But I am back! Robin G Hi, I am.... 10 01-01-2011 03:56 PM
New old owner, or old new owner? drews60 General Chat 7 11-17-2006 04:36 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.