How to plug in our new old Casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2017, 02:42 PM   #1

Name: Jim
Trailer: Casita
Florida
How to plug in our new old Casita

We did it -- brought home a 2003 FD 17! A friend who knows FGS will be coming over to show us the ropes but, until then, what do we need to plug into household electric to run all but AC?

Thanks,

Boblue

#
Boblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 04:56 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
The power cord door should be just behind the street side wheel well. There will be a 6"x6" hatch with possibly a lock. Reach in and you will find a rather large power cord. You will need a 30 amp to 15 amp adapter to plug into a normal 115 volt outlet.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 12:02 AM   #3

Florida
Thanks Dudley!
Old 01-28-2017, 10:21 AM   #4

Name: Susie
Trailer: Casita FD17
Florida
Smile

We bought a 2005 FD17 two years ago, stored in a barn single owners older couple - have enjoyed every minute in it!!!! Happy trails!!!
P.s. We used it a lot to learn as we went after a single trip to our local RV place who had a great guy go over it with us newbies for $100. It was worth every penny as we were former tent campers. His best advice... "Use it!" !!!!!
P.s.s. There are YouTubes out there to help you in/out of almost everything!
I also bought my husband the $14 Casita manual for Christmas
Drsusie2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:39 AM   #5

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Hi there. Congratulations on your new to you Casita and welcome to the forum. In addition to this forum I recommend joining casitaforum.com. Between the two you'll find a trove of information and help. The best companion for your Casita is Arizona Eileen's CD manual on everything Casita, located at
http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/...asita-manuals/

Also, take a look at http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/...asita-manuals/

And you've already received the most important advise... Use it..... Go camping. I hope to see you out there.

Walt
Old 01-28-2017, 11:31 PM   #6

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Hi there. Congratulations on your new to you Casita and welcome to the forum. In addition to this forum I recommend joining casitaforum.com. Between the two you'll find a trove of information and help. The best companion for your Casita is Arizona Eileen's CD manual on everything Casita, located at

And you've already received the most important advise... Use it..... Go camping. I hope to see you out there.

Walt
Arizona Eileen is very intelligent on fiberglass units. I know her and her husband personally. She and her husband have done awesome things on the Casita they owned. They can be a wealth of information.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:35 PM   #7

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblue View Post
We did it -- brought home a 2003 FD 17! A friend who knows FGS will be coming over to show us the ropes but, until then, what do we need to plug into household electric to run all but AC?

Thanks,

Boblue

#
Just a heads up to you and all Casita owners. When pulling out the power cord be careful that it doesn't pull on the hot water tank electric. It pulled a plug apart and we couldn't figure out why our hot water tank wouldn't heat when the day before it did. After getting home and digging into it we found the power cord can pull the electric wires of the tank apart if they tangle up. This was the 12 volt wires to the tank. I don't know why Casita didn't put a divider between the tank and the cord area.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:01 AM   #8

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
Just a heads up to you and all Casita owners. When pulling out the power cord be careful that it doesn't pull on the hot water tank electric. It pulled a plug apart and we couldn't figure out why our hot water tank wouldn't heat when the day before it did. After getting home and digging into it we found the power cord can pull the electric wires of the tank apart if they tangle up. This was the 12 volt wires to the tank. I don't know why Casita didn't put a divider between the tank and the cord area.
That's just one more good reason to install a twist-lock shore power outlet, and make the cord removable.

Link to a previous thread on the subject if anyone has any interest in the conversion.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ord-72661.html
Attached Thumbnails
New Electrical Hatch3.JPG  
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 04:09 PM   #9

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drsusie2000 View Post
We bought a 2005 FD17 two years ago, stored in a barn single owners older couple - have enjoyed every minute in it!!!! Happy trails!!!
P.s. We used it a lot to learn as we went after a single trip to our local RV place who had a great guy go over it with us newbies for $100. It was worth every penny as we were former tent campers. His best advice... "Use it!" !!!!!
P.s.s. There are YouTubes out there to help you in/out of almost everything!
I also bought my husband the $14 Casita manual for Christmas
Susie:

Thanks for your response to my questions about our new-to-us Casita FD 17. I like the idea of a pro walk-thru as you chose to do. We have a Camping World here in Tallahassee and we just joined the Good Sam Club through CW here because we were purchasing the 30-to-15 adapter and heavy-duty rv extension cord there and joining-up there got us discounts.

We don't know much about the quality of service offered by CW Tallahassee and we haven't yet met any local rv repair folks. As soon as we determine the right "who," we'd be happy to pay for a lookover.

Thanks again,

Boblue

#
Old 01-29-2017, 04:11 PM   #10

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post

Walt
Thanks for your advice Walt. We appreciate your leading us to those Casita resources -- we're going to need them!

Boblue

#
Old 01-29-2017, 04:12 PM   #11

Florida
Jann:

Thanks for your response. We will check out those resources for sure.

Boblue

#

Tags
casita