How to trailer camp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-27-2015, 06:52 AM   #21

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
We use a steel coleman, had it for about 25 years, actually we have two, but our son used it for fishing, now my wife won`t use it. Ice will last a long time in it. I keep on saying, I got to get one of those racks so pkg. stuff doesn't get wet, but never do. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:16 AM   #22

Trailer: Tote N Tarry
My mother used to tell us to "travel light, carry money". We make do with a cooler filled with ice, a George Foreman grill, and an electric hot water pot. It's amazing how many meals you can make on the grill or with boiled water. Maybe not gourmet meals, but everything tastes better when you're camping! We also carry a small propane can fueled stove, but have yet to use it. The last thing I want to do is wash pots, pans, or dishes while on a camping adventure.
Filbert V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:26 AM   #23

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
We use a Coleman extreme cooler. To solve the melting ice problem, we purchased a plastic tub with lid that is just a fraction bigger than the block of ice. It keeps most of the water away from the rest of the cooler. Anything we need really cold is put in with the ice, and meat and dairy is always stored on and around the container. If you use crushed ice many people put a rack on top of the ice to stop everything from actually sitting in the ice.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:24 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Here is site I always check before making a purchase:

The Best Hard Cooler | The Sweethome
Old 10-27-2015, 10:29 AM   #25

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
"My mother used to tell us to "travel light, carry money".

Or

"Take half as many clothes and twice as much money as you think you will need"

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:16 PM   #26

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Hi, All,
Good topic, lots of good questions and advice. We're considering right now how simple or fancy to go when we get the Amerigo redone...we're leaning toward very simple. As many have pointed out, start simple and add as you need it.
We're even thinking of naming the rig "OneStepUp" as in: one step from the ground, one step up from a tent, and there's a little step across the middle of the trailer. Liked hearing about how other tenters are moving to trailer camping.

U
OneStep

Kai in Seattle
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 01:42 PM   #27

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Here is site I always check before making a purchase: The Best Hard Cooler | The Sweethome
That's the one! I agree that it's a great value, currently $43 at Walmart. I also like the simple rectangular box, uninterrupted by wheel housings. Its size and lack of wheels does mean that when it's fully loaded, I usually call for an assistant to carry it.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 02:12 PM   #28

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

Greetings K and welcome to the forum : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrillSLC View Post
...We want to keep our camper and camping experience lightweight, fast and simple...Most of our trips will be 2 or 3 nights.
IMO, with "Most" of your trips of such a short duration, your set up could really be "lightweight, fast and simple". Since your rig has a built in stove and sink, and if you don't want to duplicate appliances... open the windows and door on those warm days and cook inside. With any type of breeze the interior shouldn't heat up to much. But if you don't mind duplication grab a simple camp stove and head outside. We have used the simple approach in all our rigs (in our case a simple butane stove). If it is good enough to be an option on a $100K Sportsmobile van... it's good enough for our setup.

Quote:
...Q - Do you cook out doors?
Cooking outdoors is our preferred mode as we enjoy it. We only have a single portable stove (the one at the above butane stove link). And can cook indoors or out.

Quote:
...Q - If you cook outdoors, do you have an fold away table to cook on?
We have two of the folding tables Carol mentioned, and a rollup aluminum table like this one. We use it nearly every trip.

Quote:
...Q - If you don't have a fridge, where do you keep your cooler when your on the road and in camp? Is a fridge worth the $700 investment? Is a high end cooler (Yeti?) worth the $350+ investment?
My wife and I camp mostly in what might be considered "Bear Country", that said, if a ranger sees a campsite with coolers outside they better be Certified Bear Resistant by the IGBC. It is a several hundred dollar fine they can impose on the unsuspecting camper. Soooo.... We had a Yeti, but sold it and now have two 80qt Engel Deep Blue Performance coolers. We keep them outside once in camp and they double as dinette benches. They easily keep sub 40 degree temps during our 5 to 7 day trips and have kept same temps during a rare two week trip.

Our next rig (Van conversion 2.0) will most likely have a Pelican cooler which has the advantage of a standard garden hose threaded drain-outlet.

Keeping our rig simple for us, also included the idea of no appliances that _need_ electric/AC or DC or parking in the sun for solar. We can stay out as long as our leave allows up some forestry road under the cool shade of an evergreen.

As others have suggested... one way to look at a camping setup is a hard sided cozy tent. That is basically how we went about setting up our rig(s) (sold Parkliner #35 included).

YMMV...but for us? We wouldn't have it any other way if away from our big rig we full time in (full hookups and all the creature comforts).

Thom

: ) And for some "Cool" comedy relief I leave you with this...
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 04:26 PM   #29

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
How's this for multi-purpose? 'Almost as good as a Swiss Army knife...Liquid Dr. Bronner's Organic Pure Castile soap comes in various fragrances. Peppermint is usually the least expensive but has a potent smell and a bit of a "sting" in private parts. Lavender scent is quite nice. Castille soap is available at Trader Joe's, some other grocery stores, health food stores and more.
I found the peppermint at Costco recently at a really good price. I LOVE using it as shampoo -- so refreshing to the scalp! But I seem to need one more shampoo with a different product, as the Castile seems to leave something behind. I also use their leave-in hair treatment, especially out in climates where the hair tends to frizz and fly!

Just an additional note -- I discovered (to my great joy and relief) that this peppermint soap can actually deodorize an adolescent boy. You know, the ones who still smell like *boy* after washing their hair three times? My once-smelly son came out smelling squeaky clean after using this. He's now 28 and STILL uses it.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:13 PM   #30

Name: rita
Trailer: currently shopping
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
There are several schools of thought on FGRV use. Basically, we don't subscribe to bringing along two complete kitchens when one will do. We make full use of the cook-top, on-board water (hot and cold), loo and a 3 way refrigerator. We also carry a cooler for in vehicle use and try to refresh that with Block Ice (not cubes) as needed.

There is a set of utensils that are permanently assigned to the trailer, as well as a checklist basic of non-perishables (spices, packaged and canned foods etc) that keep our rig "ready to go" There are also some clothes and camping/hiking gear, that are only for RV'ing times, that stay on board as well.

Rather that springing $700+ for a new refrigerator, you might follow the Craigslist ads for a used one. Smaller ones, as used in pop-up and slide in campers seem to come up often in the $100 range. (But be sure it works before buying!)

But, all that said, we are often on the road and don't want to waste the time and expense of staying in campgrounds for single night stays.

Everyone's needs are different and, what we do, in no way, governs what is right for you family.
My experience over the years has been quite self sufficient with very limited propane use. As I get older and insecure with trying to remember how things work, I tend to like what I am familiar with. I do gave all the extras in the camper but I gave only used the heat a few times on co,d nights in the mountains. I had a problem with the frig once and decided to use a block ice in a container. This lasts several days. Food in a cooler with a block ice also. Works good as the nights are cool anyway. I have a Coleman portable grill that runs on propane and a Coleman stove that I put on a picnic table to heat water and make coffee. I tend to camp at national campgrounds that have clean bathrooms and water supply. No electric. My battery runs the lights for a very long time. I keep battery operated lanterns for inside the camper. Many backup batteries if needed. I like camping this way as I am used to it with no complications to worry about with shower, toilet, stove, and propane. 🎃
rita in ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:23 PM   #31

Name: jon
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' SD
Illinois
Gotta agree with Gilda, Dr Bronners is the only soap we use. Very versitile.
jon carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:28 PM   #32

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Still Looking
Alabama
I don't have a Yeti ,I own 2 K2 coolers, but if I were buying again I would buy the RTIC. They are 1/2 the price of Yeti. https://www.rticcoolers.com/
Bullington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:37 PM   #33

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Bruce... no bears in your _woods_??
Those RTIC coolers look nice, but they wouldn't pass the bear or ranger test where we camp.

Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:33 PM   #34

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
There are several schools of thought on FGRV use. Basically, we don't subscribe to bringing along two complete kitchens when one will do. We make full use of the cook-top, on-board water (hot and cold), loo and a 3 way refrigerator. We also carry a cooler for in vehicle use and try to refresh that with Block Ice (not cubes) as needed..
I'm with Bob. I have two FSC trailers. I gave up schlepping totes and all the extra stuff from the garage and shed when I finally gave up camping "like a tenter." NOW when I want to camp, I throw in fresh food.. hook up and go. I've even gone so far as to keep the trailer packed with clothes and TOOTHBRUSH . Gone are the days of spending a couple of hours "getting ready to camp." I couldn't be happier with my decision. Hope yours works as well, truly.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:25 PM   #35

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Still Looking
Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
Those RTIC coolers look nice, but they wouldn't pass the bear or ranger test where we camp.

Thom
No, no bears. What brand would it take to be bear proof? lol
Bullington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:32 PM   #36

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm with Bob. I have two FSC trailers. I gave up schlepping totes and all the extra stuff from the garage and shed when I finally gave up camping "like a tenter." NOW when I want to camp, I throw in fresh food.. hook up and go. I've even gone so far as to keep the trailer packed with clothes and TOOTHBRUSH . Gone are the days of spending a couple of hours "getting ready to camp." I couldn't be happier with my decision. Hope yours works as well, truly.
Donna, I think this is the best way to prepare, and also the explanation of why trailer camping is better than tent camping.

I've been organizing a set of tools and necessities that will stay in the trailer all the time. There is a complete set of IKEA "silver" ware, pots and pans, and utensils which stay there all the time. Also paper plates, but I am looking for lightweight dishes (Corelle or melamine?).

Then I have my "camping" checklist out on the table. It's being slowly modified to the "trailer camping" checklist. As a necessity comes to mind I'll add it to a plastic tub I'm keeping to be ready to go, everything from towels to toothpaste and clothing.

The clothing I'm keeping in zippered nylon/net "cubes" (meant for suitcases), I think these came from Travelsmith. They work REALLY well, and everything within them is rolled up and easy to find. This includes outdooor, comfy wardrobe stuff that I wouldn't be wearing at home every day anyway, so it's there ready to go.

I've put together a first aid kit and some general OTC meds. We've added toothbrushes, hairbrushes, razors, and other items which can stay out there all the time.

I have another box for spices, and general kitchen dry goods, but I think I'll keep that inside during the summer time -- just add what I need to restock and then carry it outside when we need to leave. In the summer the trailer gets so darned hot, I'm worried food items would quickly go rancid.

It would be great to get to the point where we just need to grab some easy-to prepare food and hit the road -- that's the goal.

BTW, on our last trip, I didn't take the time to start up the fridge. We used it as cupboard space, like Jon does. And although we'd gone to the trouble to install a new water pump and water lines, we haven't used the on-board water or sink yet. It seems perfectly wonderful to even just tent camp in the trailer, with everything we need right there, and no last-minute stress about packing.

Cheers,
Old 10-28-2015, 08:09 AM   #37

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
...I am looking for lightweight dishes (Corelle or melamine?)...
I wouldn't use Corelle. Corelle is tough stuff (we use it at home), but have you ever seen what happens when it does break? It practically explodes. I think it has something to do with the tempering process that makes it so strong and light. You drop one in a campsite, it happens to hit a rock… You'll never get all the shards up, and they are sharp.

We found a good assortment of melamine dishes (and even some bamboo-based products) at Big Lots.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:49 AM   #38

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
We received Corelle dishes at our wedding 42 years ago in 1973. We still have it and use it daily. I agree, when it breaks, it explodes and the shards are needle sharp and strong, all billion of them. AND, and possibly even more to the point, Corelle is NOT light. A stack of 8 plates is an item to lift...sometimes I wonder how our kitchen cabinets don't break off and fall.
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 01:14 PM   #39

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post

Thom
Where I camp (as well as live) neither cooler would pass the bear test or be ranger approved. No cooler left outside is.

Unless you can figure out a way to pulley it up high with ropes and hang it from a very large tree branch that will not snap when the bear climbs up onto the branch to try and reach the cooler.

My nephew lives on west coast of Vancouver Island and while he did a major home reno he had to put the deep freeze out on his deck. Knowing the bears can be very creative at opening such items he added several large paddle locks to the top and sides of freezer believing that would keep them out. One night a large bear ripped the top off the deep freeze in less than a min. making it look as easy as opening a can of sardines. That bad boy spent the next several hours sitting in the deep freeze enjoying all the nice salmon and halibut it contained.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 01:53 PM   #40
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
I do carry 4 Corelle dinner plates, salad plates, and cereal bowls, plus an assortment of melamine and paper plates and bowls. The melamine isn't useful in the microwave, and I just like eating off a real plate sometimes. I travel with dishcloths inserted between the pieces of Corelle, to keep them from banging around on the road. YMMV, but it works for us.

By the way, 4 sets are enough. If we have a larger crowd, we pull out the Chinet.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote