How to trailer camp - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-28-2015, 02:17 PM   #41

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Just this past season the rule in Yellowstone was "No coolers, stoves, cooking equipment or food to be left out in a campsite day or night". First infraction was a warning, and you had to go to the Ranger Station to reclaim your stuff. Second time was a fine.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 03:15 PM   #42

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Mary F, yes, true, they DO work a lot better in the microwave than plastic!

Bear issues and coolers--but, but, can't bears get into your trailer if they're that determined? Or do they just not go that far?
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:01 PM   #43

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
Cooler tip #1: Block ice and frozen milk jugs. Jugs make good fresh water source as well.

Cooler tip #2: Keep a damp towel over all coolers. Keeping the cooler shell cool will make ice go farther.

Cooler tip #3: Drain the water from the coolers once or twice a day. Water is warmer than ice, and ice will melt faster trying to keep water cold.

Cooler tip #4: Vacuum pack meats. Most grocery stores will vacuum meat for free. Much easier to fit in spaces in the cooler w/out worrying about getting soggy.
Missouri Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:04 PM   #44

Name: rita
Massachusetts
I have experienced bears each time I camp. Most of the time, they come in and sniff around then leave. Only twice did two bears decided to stay for awhile. One reared onto the backside of my jeep knowing all my food was in the tailgate. It did not rip open the car, it did scratch the finish quite a bit though. I would rather have the Bears away from where I am sleeping.
rita in ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:07 PM   #45

Name: rita
Massachusetts
At that time I was using a pop up tent camper which I still have. It is a good size and a 2007 so in very good condition. I am actively shopping for a 13 foot scamp.
rita in ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:08 PM   #46

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Mark View Post
Cooler tip #3: Drain the water from the coolers once or twice a day. Water is warmer than ice, and ice will melt faster trying to keep water cold.
That is exactly what NOT to do, according to the instructions which came with my Coleman Extreme cooler. The water is cold.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:18 PM   #47

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
The water changes from solid to liquid at 32* F the water is right near 32*F as well.
The phase change removes some heat, but the water is still cold and serves as mass to absorb heat that is transferred through the cooler sides to the inside you are trying to keep cold.
The Ice may be slightly colder, but the amount of heat it can absorb is less.
If you want it colder add a little salt to the mix. This will melt some ice and remove more heat. Total heat absorbed will be about the same, however.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:21 PM   #48

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post

Bear issues and coolers--but, but, can't bears get into your trailer if they're that determined? Or do they just not go that far?
Kal in the case of black bears they are usually afraid of humans. If they hear you in the trailer or you yell at them they will usually take off in a hurry. If in a campground you can be sure someone else has left something that is easier for them to get at than breaking into your trailer.

Far safer to keep your food inside the trailer than it is in your car. In my area more than one party has discovered just leaving a cracker in the vehicle can result in a totalled vehicle by morning - my partners company has had to write off two trucks in recent years due to someone leaving an old lunch in their truck overnight. They tend to rip cars apart if they get in but then the door closes on them

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:33 PM   #49

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
tips for trailer camping

Eelcome to trailer camping. If you've backpacked or tent camped before, you probably have most of your gear...

Here are some good sites for trailer camping gear, tools, etc.
RV Travel Checklist, Camping Check List, RV Supplies - Trailer Life Directory
Need An RV Checklist?... Here Are All The Best Checklists For RVers | Fun Times Guide to RVing.

If you've been tent camping, just bring the same stuff, sans tent. When I take my grandkids, I bring a tent for them...they like tenting unless it's raining.
Pack the heavy gear in your vehicle, over the rear axle (e.g. loaded ice chest, water jugs, tool box.

I pack food for 3 days as I like to buy/support locally while traveling; plus extra canned goods for 1-2 days (in case I want to stay longer than planned, or to share).

Freeze extra water (1-2 liter bottles) and all meat before putting into ice box.
You can get a roll-up table, but honestly, I've brought mine on a few trips, but wind up using only the campground picnic table. Camp chairs are a necessity.

Check out the Luci Lights - good for reading and the kids love them.
Available at Amazon, REI, other sites.
Enjoy your trailer ....after a couple of trips, you'll pare your gear down on what to bring/not bring.
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:22 PM   #50

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2005 Casita 17 LD
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullington View Post
I don't have a Yeti ,I own 2 K2 coolers, but if I were buying again I would buy the RTIC. They are 1/2 the price of Yeti. https://www.rticcoolers.com/
While I am always looking to save money (and I bought a Pelican). The RTIC site is creepy. Visually identical in almost every way and they splash "YETI" over every page of their website. I'm surprised they don't include a free YETI decal.....

Also note that the coolers they are selling are back-ordered 60-90 days which implies they are still in China. I am glad to see competition for YETI but they should at least make their own mold....
PC Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:54 PM   #51

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Scott View Post
...Pack the heavy gear in your vehicle, over the rear axle (e.g. loaded ice chest, water jugs, tool box...
Hmmmm...

To me it seems like a recipe to exceed your rear axle weight rating and unload the front axle, affecting steering, handling, and (on FWD tow vehicles) traction.

Perhaps we're talking about a pick-up truck...?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:27 PM   #52

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Still Looking
Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Steve View Post
While I am always looking to save money (and I bought a Pelican). The RTIC site is creepy. Visually identical in almost every way and they splash "YETI" over every page of their website. I'm surprised they don't include a free YETI decal.....

Also note that the coolers they are selling are back-ordered 60-90 days which implies they are still in China. I am glad to see competition for YETI but they should at least make their own mold....
It is their own mold. If you will notice they are not exactly alike. Rtic has a cut out for opening the lid and their coolers really do hold the amount they advertise.
Bullington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:01 AM   #53

Registry
Trailer camping--the idea of NOT traveling with the ice chest in the trailer is something we hadn't really thought of yet. BUT--perhaps the concept is to put it somewhere between the rear axle and the front of the vehicle, rather than at the very end, like in a trunk or behind the axle.

We used to use fabric storage cubes; everyone got one, plus we had one for towels. They held quite a lot of clothes, and making rolls or "packets" out of each outfit meant it was easy to find a complete set of things in a tight space. Plus, our last rig (a conversion van) was quite dark inside, so again, having things organized was important.

The ideas of putting frozen containers of fresh water in the ice chest (or whatever you're using) is super...cooling and drinkable water, too. We pretty much always put frozen meats in, and planned our meals pretty carefully. The first time we camped in it, we took salad fixings and discovered that rinsing greens, slicing, shredding, assembling, etc. iln that kind of space was a real mess. We had carrot and lettuce bits all over, even on the bed, and then couldn't get the salad storage bowl back into the fridge. Just no elbow-room in the conversion van. And almost zero countertops. After that we made the salad at home and packed it in meal-sized baggies.

We use a lot of baggies for portions. You can rinse or even wash them out and let dry (a good place to dry baggies at home is in the top rack of the dishwasher--just set them over the little tips and let them dry.)
Old 10-29-2015, 10:38 AM   #54

Name: Debra
Trailer: Little Guy MyPod
Alabama
How to trailer camp

I just graduated from tent camping to trailer camping this season and it has taken me the entire season to know what I want to pack, how I want to pack it and what I can do without.

I don't have a fgrv that I can stand in, it's more an egg, therefore a comfy bed on wheels. Since its just me and my little dog, I have a twin mattress that I flip on its side; this allows me to store things while in travel. Items that stay in my trailer until I get to camp are my kitchen which is kept in a plastic tote box, my screened tent and chairs.

I have been using a large cooler all season, but I pack so little in it most the weight is the frozen bottled water I use for ice (lasts longer than bagged), it stays in my car because I'm afraid to try and move it because of back issues. I am thinking about getting a mini fridge to use as I camp mainly at electric sites. Of course the times In bear country will revert back to the cooler.

I tend to pack light, makes unloading easier and weight is not your friend when towing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
dkpbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 04:06 PM   #55

Registry
YES, very much agree it takes a while to get mentally and physically organized. It took eight camping outings of 1-3 days each before we began to think we had it figured out. NOW we're going through that all again with this trailer...and so far it's all hypothetical, but by golly, some things will be pre-determined when we do begin to load up!

This thread has so many good ideas! Thanks to all for them all! More are very welcome!
Old 10-30-2015, 08:05 AM   #56

Name: Mark
Missouri
I thought the cooler tip about emptying water would find some disagreement. Actually, you will find both sides of issue with support on internet. I've concluded it varies from cooler to cooler on whether ice will last longer or not if you drain the water. I know it does work for my coleman cooler. I think how often you open it makes a difference as well. I only use my coleman for food perishables, trying to keep it full and stacked with veggies and fruits on top as a layer of insulation, and the cooler is only opened at mealtime. Drinks are kept in separate cooler.
Missouri Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:32 AM   #57

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
A cubic foot of 40-degree water will change temperature more slowly than a cubic foot of 40-degree air that replaces it. That cubic foot of air came from outside the cooler, so more ice melts to bring it down to the temperature inside the cooler. The internet cannot alter the laws of physics.

Nevertheless, I have been known to pour off water from my cooler for any number of reasons: it became contaminated with meat juices, I don't want it to accidentally leak inside the trailer while we're going down the road, I want to reduce weight for the trip home, the water is so deep my plastic bins are capsizing,... I know that doing so will cause the ice to melt a bit faster, and I accept that. No big deal.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:50 AM   #58

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
After many years of tent camping, we transitioned to our 13 foot Scamp this Summer. It took me a lot of mental hours to decide where I wanted to keep things. Right now, this is working for us:
Sleeping bags for the bunks under the front bunk in one cubby. Extra blankets and pillows under the other cubby. Tote for all tools, blocks, electric cords, etc., under the middle cubby. Back packing tent and small fans go under there as well.

Sleeping backs for the dinette bed under drivers side bench.

Flashlights, lanterns, batteries, cleaning supplies, bug spray, under the sink in bins. Attached to the inside of the doors with little hooks, pot holders, dust broom and pan, first aid kit.

In the drawer above the icebox (we don't have a fridge) are kitchen towels, lighter, baby wipes, misc small items.

Above the kitchen in the cabinets in bins: travel sized board games, puzzles, etc. Coffee pot, disposable cups, instant tea and coffee, creamer.

Tall closet: a set of four stacking bins, which are capable of containing all of our clothing for a ten day trip. Each person gets one bin. On the inside of the door, I hung hooks and bought oversized hand towels to use as shower towels, one for each of us.

In the car I store a "cooking bag" which contains our propane grill and everything I need to cook meals (lighter, plates, cups, pots and pans, another coffee pot, etc.) We also pack the cooler in the car and our chairs. Since we cook outside, it makes sense to us to have the cooler and cooking supplies easily transportable to the table. It also makes it really easy to put them in the bear box at campgrounds.

Since our camper is stored away from our house, when we get ready to go camping, it's easy for me to grab the cooler and cooking bag from the garage and begin packing them days in advance of picking up the camper. Then when we get it, all we have to do is add the clothing and we are off!

Enjoy your camper!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote